5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute superlative elegance!
Published on 11 Aug. 2012 by Scientia Potentia Est

3.0 out of 5 stars Finding a voice
High quality prentice work. I liked best the sonnet Glist, half-rhymed throughout
Published 3 months ago by Simon Barrett 'Il Penseroso'

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute superlative elegance!, 11 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Public Dream (Paperback)
I don't usually tend to review books online (the only exception to this is if the book in question is outstandingly good or outrageously bad); fortunately, this book is just incredible! Leviston's poetry is not only packed with powerful imagery and elegant figurative language, but it also allows the mind to wander into a world created by each individual poem. She combines the archaic with the new, the romantic with the contemporary, and creates a style that is so striking that it leaves you begging for more.

I first came across Leviston's work when I watched her reading her Titian inspired poem 'Woodland Burial' on Youtube, and I was so impressed by it that I decided to purchase this book. Needless to say, I am so glad that I did! I would recommend Frances Leviston to anyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wintry writing, 9 Dec. 2007
Ben (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Public Dream (Paperback)
This is a sumptuous book of poetry. It's so dark and unsettling at times that I almost laughed when Leviston wrote about coming home in high heels after a night out, I thought, nah, she doesn't do that - surely she just lives on the top floor of a rain-lashed, granite tower! But there is warmth and meditation here too. The unsettling stuff reminds me of the spookier poems James Lasdun has written.
The reason this reviewer doesn't give "Public Dream" 5 stars is because he likes, enjoys and respects it, but doesn't love it. But that's okay - it doesn't want to be loved and that's one of its redeeming, admirable qualities. It remains aloof, alone and hovering in its powers, like a storm cloud.

3.0 out of 5 stars Finding a voice, 17 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Public Dream (Kindle Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 27 Feb. 2015
B. Herdman (Manchester UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Public Dream (Paperback)
A poet new to me but one I shall be following.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unspeakably brilliant, 8 Dec. 2007
Poet Tree (Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Public Dream (Paperback)
Ever woken up after a wonderful dream and lamented the fact that you cannot put it into words? This collection of poems has done it for you. With a stupendous debut that captures fleeting emotions and transient feelings quite beautifully, rendering them into something timeless and tangible, Leviston speaks for her generation in a way that does not pander or patronise, vocalising our unarticulated and unspeakable dreams.

Public Dream
Public Dream by Frances Leviston (Paperback - 2 Nov. 2007)