5.0 out of 5 stars Great book
Love it love it love it a little gem on a long journey easy read and finished In a day
Published 8 months ago by Mac Daddy

3.0 out of 5 stars a curate's egg
Interesting to read the huge divergance of reviews about this book on Amazon. it seems you either loved it or you hated it with no middle ground permissable. I have just finished the book ( 5 minutes ago ) and feel the need to write a review that lies in between these extremes.
Published on 24 July 2007 by Mr. David Webb-peploe

3.0 out of 5 stars a curate's egg, 24 July 2007
Mr. David Webb-peploe (shepperton uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Tower (Paperback)
I'll start with the frustrating. The cover suggests a Roman desert novel which is unfortunate as only the prologue is set in Roman times. This may be the fault of the publishers who should have made it far clearer that this was not a classic Manfredi antiquity novel but a more modern thriller. The love interest, I agree with a previous reviewer, was poorly handled and highly improbable which confirms that Manfredi should stay well away from Mills and Boone territory. The telecommunication device hurtling through space, orbiting round some distant galaxy and then hurtling back with Marconi tracking it all the way was unfortunately so ridiculous as to be laughable. I know other mythological aspects were also ridiculous but I thought Manfredi managed to weave them in quite well. But the huge frustration was the ending. As the various protaganists approach the tower I expected a denouement that would neatly fit all the jigsaw pieces into place. But not a bit of it - the ending turned into one horrible and it seems very hastily written mess. I had to read the last few pages again to try and extract some sort of hidden meaning but I simply could not. What destroyed the tower? What was in the tower? What was the meaning of the Cain reference? Why did the hunter have to destroy the tombs and what was in them? What were the faceless creatures ( Jobert's comments were thoroughly unhepful )What was the tower for and why did it need to be destroyed anyway? Immensely frustrating.
But the book did have it's good points - the mythological references mixed in with the early creation story were ingenious. I liked Manfredi's description of ancient sites ( especially the catacomb under the monastry in Italy ) and his obvious familiarity with this subject. The chief villain Selsnick was hugely entertaining ( Alan Rickman should play him in the film version ). The dodgy workings of the Catholic church always make for a good read and the plot ( until the end ) spun me along quite nicely ( I finished the book in 3 days which must say something for it ).
So there you have it. A ripping yarn that was flawed in places and finished in a total mess. A shame really as it had good potential.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful ... no ... really i mean it !, 15 May 2007
This review is from: The Tower (Hardcover)
What a mess! It was difficult to follow, quite a few times I would have to check the characters names because you couldn't work out who they were or what they were supposed to be doing. Some time before the end i began to suspect we were not going to learn anything... i was right. I thought for a moment of going over the last few pages again in the vain hope i had missed something significant that would help it all make sense ... but frankly I couldn't be bothered and i suspect it would of made any difference.

A bad cross between an episode of Lost and a Clive Cussler book.

Hopeless ... don't buy it, or borrow it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable!, 27 Aug 2007
This review is from: The Tower (Paperback)
The cover blurb promises "an archeological adventure...a philological puzzle...a mystical enigma...". What you get is a complete lack of plot (plot?) structure, cardboard characters, no sense of time or place, and the only enigma is how it ever managed to get published in the first place.

I struggled to the end hoping that the garbled narrative strands would somehow be tied up, and possibly explained. I needn't have bothered. There was no kick in the tail. It still remained (to quote the blurb again) an "unutterable mystery".

One reviewer suggested Alan Rickman might be a good choice for a character in a film version. If it was ever filmed even Mr Rickman couldn't lift this out of the mire.

I bought my copy from a charity shop, but I would feel really guilty about giving it back and causing someone else to waste their money.

2.0 out of 5 stars The Tower, 24 Aug 2007
Mr. A. Towse (Scarborough UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Tower (Hardcover)
Like peter davis I found this very disappointing. It may have been the translation that was at fault but the story was well below Professor Mancini's standard. It was eratic, disjointed and left large gaps hoping that the reader would put two and two together and 'fill in the missing detail' of which a great deal was omitted. I would not try to resell my copy preferring to donate it to a charity shop!

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointing, 7 Jan 2007
Mrs. J. Naylor (Newport, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Tower (Hardcover)
I enjoyed the Alexander trilogy, Tyrant and The Last Legion, so naturally I assumed this book would be as good. Sadly no. I've read this to the bitter end in the vain hope that it would improve. That didn't happen. I didn't understand what was going on, the characterisations were weak, and the whole thing made no sense. And the ending .... well I'm not even going to mention that! I don't know if it's the translation from Italian that has ruined this book - I was left feeling as if I should be putting in sentences myself to make the whole thing more understandable. Or perhaps this author is just riding the crest of a wave and trotting out rubbish that will sell just because of the success of his previous books. It was awful. I've never reviewed a book on Amazon before, but this has incensed me so much that I felt the need to write this - that's how bad this book is.

2.0 out of 5 stars Pants, 7 Jun 2007
Luke Swinson (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Tower (Paperback)
I picked this up for some light reading on a holiday to Rome (yes I know, I judged a book by its cover).

However even once I discovered that this wasn't about Rome or Romans I still could not have prepared myself for such a terribly cliched, poorly written and inconclusive novel.

It's not that the plot is similar to an Indiana Jones movie (without the sense of humour) or that there is no conclusion to speak of; as the book just ends abruptly with some poorly contrived mumbo jumbo, loosely tied in with its 'theme' about the dark side of mankind.

It's more that the characters are completely one dimensional, with the book containing one of the most ineptly constructed romances I have ever read (apparently it's possible to woo a princess by stalking her and shouting lots). The dialogue is melodramatic, in some cases laughable and the plot is as predictable as they come.

Avoid.

1.0 out of 5 stars Indiana Jones doesn't cut it!, 13 Dec 2006
This review is from: The Tower (Hardcover)
Having read and enjoyed all Manfredi's other books, except Oracle, this is a stinker! Harrison Ford searching for Sean Connery across interminable deserts with a love interest in the background and a blond Nazi in a Foreign Legionnaire's uniform. And a satellite - in the 1920's! - in geostationary orbit, discovered by the Vatican, sending binary code about the Devil who is hiding in a lost tower in the desert! The desert seems to stretch from Syria to Morocco, from the French Sahara to Petra in Jordan, but just takes a few days on a camel (some camel!) to cross. The Roman helmet on the cover is "permitted" by the "Prologue" - which I suspect was an add on ordered by the publishers so as to catch readers like me who assumed (I know, I know) it was an historical novel set in the Roman era!. It is dreadful bosh! I got half way through and have given it to my local charity shop! Perhaps I should have sold it on Amazon!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 27 Dec 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Archaeological-Mystical Thriller, 26 May 2013
THE TOWER Valerio Massimo Manfredi 2006 UK 1st edn. Hardcovers

THE TOWER was first published in English in 2006 although it had previously been a best seller in Italy under the title `La Torre Della Solitudine' in 1996 and is one of several novels that use a background of history and archaeology to a story of mystery, murder and the supernatural a genre at which Manfredi excels. I originally purchased the hardcover edition when it was published in 2006 and have just recently re-visited it.

Dr. Valerio Massimo Manfredi, is a very eminent Italian historian and the Professor of Classical Archaeology at the University of Bocconi and the author of some dozen or so very successful historical novels, several of which have been used as the basis for screenplays, but this novel for some reason does not seem to have reached the popularity in the UK that his other novels achieved.

This is a good old fashioned archaeological mystery thriller with a good measure of mystical intrigue added to the mix. Three very diverse explorers enter the Sahara hoping to find a fabled Tower which legend has as the resting place of an undying malignant being.

By the author's own admission this novel is almost entirely fiction, although the usual highly researched and meticulously accurate historical background gives a sense of reality to the story built upon a 2000 year old rumour.

I was one of the readers that enjoyed the book, it is a cracking good story although it does seem to bog down slightly in places; some of the dialogue however, seems to have lost something in translation from the original Italian but the action was mostly fast paced and exciting. Some of the added revisions updating the story from the 1990s to 2006 are a little crude but never-the-less as with all Dr. Manfredi's novels I found that this was one of those books that is difficult to put down until you have finally discovered all the twists and turns and reached the story conclusion.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful - such a shame, 19 May 2012
Mr. M. Kinney "Michael" (Kent) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Tower (Hardcover)
After reading the lost legion (which I enjoyed), I picked up this book with enthusiasm. But, it is a dreadful novel. Downright silly in places, and annoying. But, I struggled on just to see if it could get any worse. Life is too short to read silly books like this and I wish I hadn't started it.

The Tower
The Tower by Valerio Massimo Manfredi (Paperback - 4 May 2007)
Used & New from: 0.01