5.0 out of 5 stars The Chitty Chitty Bang Bang of the sundae trade!
A year or two ago I read this to my daughter (aged 6/7) and we both enjoyed it. She has read it many times since and we have bought the sequel. Today, spotting the negative review here on Amazon, I feel moved to redress the balance. I haven't seen the TV series, so I judge the book purely on its own merit.
The Ice Cream Mystery is a great book to read to the younger...
Published on 25 Sept. 2008 by ELH Browning

2.0 out of 5 stars Ice cream
Published on 11 Oct. 2004

5.0 out of 5 stars The Chitty Chitty Bang Bang of the sundae trade!, 25 Sept. 2008
ELH Browning "Esther-Lou" (Kingston Bagpuize, Oxon) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Ice-Cream Machine (Paperback)
The Ice Cream Mystery is a great book to read to the younger child or for newly confident readers to read to themselves. The underlying idea, a magical ice cream van (Macaroni) is guaranteed to catch the imagination of most primary-school-age readers. Two children and their pet goat accidentally unleash a pip-popping zip-zapping secret ingredient into Macaroni's ice-cream and a gentle adventure ensues. Where is Macaroni going in the middle of the night, and why? And can she and the children help with a seaside rescue?
This story may not be an action-packed thriller, and there are no sinister bullies, or plots to overthrow the world. It is however a great book to take a step on from the easiest paperbacks like the Rainbow Fairies and The Magic Treehouse series, with a picture every few pages.
This is a charming story that will appeal to both boys and girls alike, and especially those with a sweet tooth who'll be desperate to try the delicious-sounding Marshmallow Squidge and Chocowobble ice-cream flavours. And if they enjoy it, and its blue sequel "Totally Fizzbombed", then you might like The Mum Shop by Ceci Jenkinson for the same fresh and sparkly feel.

5.0 out of 5 stars My 5 year old boy loved this story, over and over again, 5 April 2014
This review is from: The Ice-Cream Machine (Paperback)
No real baddies, just a good fun romp with a magic old fashioned ice cream van with a past that with a bit of spit and polish comes to life and enhances the lives of the family that take it on. A real feel good story, with a happy ending.

2.0 out of 5 stars Ice cream, 11 Oct. 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: The Ice-Cream Machine (Paperback)
This book was disappointing after having watched the children's television series which was based on this book and I had bought the book specifically for my daughter after having seen the television series which she thoroughly enjoyed. It must have been very loosely based as it was set in a different area, the children only had one parent and the only thing that was the same was the actual ice cream van.

The Ice-Cream Machine
The Ice-Cream Machine by Julie Bertagna (Paperback - 2 Jan. 2004)
Used & New from: £0.01