‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, 4 May 2005
This review is from: Three Wishes (Paperback)
Once I picked up this book I could not put it down, I was so desperate to find out more about the wonderful characters in the story. It is modern, funny and easy going and I did not want the book to finish!

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating!, 31 May 2007
E. Harper - See all my reviews
This review is from: Three Wishes (Paperback)
I found this story deeply moving, enjoyable and entertaining. The author is extremely talented and perceptive and has a knack for portraying the intricacies and subtleties of modern relationships, between friends, family and lovers, with humour, compassion, and realism, without ever getting too corny or cliched, like so many other authors in the "chick-lit" genre - in fact, it does this book a disservice to even classify it as chick-lit, because in my opinion it stands head and shoulders above all other such books. After I finished the book, I really missed reading about the characters and their lives, and even now I find myself thinking about them and hoping that they're all ok! Quite simply one of the most enjoyable, emotional and well-written books I have read for a long time, along with "The Last Anniversary" by the same author, which is just as brilliant.

4.0 out of 5 stars A compelling read, 3 Nov 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Three Wishes (Paperback)
Three wishes is a compelling read that will have you gripped from the word go. Moriarty sucks you in, and you feel as though you are part of the kettle family, sharing their laughs and their tears. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars So many ways of telling the story broke it up, making it intriguing, 29 Oct 2012
This review is from: Three Wishes (Paperback)
I liked this novel and now I can remember why I wanted to read another after 'What Alice Forgot!' The characters were well developed and the pace was good. Chapters varied with emails between the sisters and other character perspectives from people whom only saw them once, such as an elderly lady thinking one of them was still young and beautiful. I found it very interesting from the start with the way the waitress and other customers at the restaurant gave their individual accounts of the event, showing Moriarty's ability to adapt to many different voices. Also, each sister is different and Liane Moriarty's take on triplets is believeable. I found it realistic (slightly infuriating for Cat, the character who stays with her husband). I would suggest others read this, and I am looking forward to reading her next book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Moving, 4 Dec 2014
This review is from: Three Wishes (Paperback)
It is actually a 3.5 stars rounded up to 4.
I have some mixed feelings about this book, on one side, it gripped me from the start, and I liked reading it. I had difficulties putting it down, which is the good part. However, upon finishing it, I was left with a bittersweet after taste. This book made me nervous, and left me unsatisfied.
The writing style at the beginning is a bit confusing, but once you get used to it, it becomes enjoyable. It is the story of three twins, and the narrative perspective keeps changing between the three, which gives you insights on each sister. Plus interspersed in the book there are some anecdotes about the triplet narrated by random people that are cute.
There are many references to their time growing up, I found these parts to be somewhat a bit too heavy, I skip read through some of their juvenile stories, or the stories about the grandma. When a topic is not much about the main plot it bores me quickly, there were a tiny bit too many in the book I think, some not that relevant.
However, what made me nervous was the ending; the review is going to get a bit spoilery from now on, even if I am not giving away facts, in fact, I am not even giving you names. So if you have not read the book yet and don’t want any anticipation, I suggest you STOP HERE. If you have read the book, I would like to know if it was just me, or if you had the same impression…
Sister 1: She has a perfect life from the start, she keeps it throughout the book, with some minor, minor, minor, did I mention minor?, hiccups. She even gets annoyed at the suffering of sister 3, she irritated me a bit. She is a know-it-all … I didn’t find her very sympathetic; she could have been more understanding and less judging. However, she’s not all bad… but I would never ever want her as a sister! (Especially to be compared to, I sympathized with sister3 and adored sister2)
Sister 2: She is the adorable kind, with her head in the clouds, always good. A bit distracted, but who cares? She had a rough past, but her path in the book is upwards until she reaches the hilltop and gets her well-deserved happy ending.
Sister 3: She is so abused by the author I was appalled. It is one blow after the other, a relentless succession of sad happenings, and each one worst and more painful than the previous. In a couple of points I was crying for her, like really sobbing! The scene in the park was heartbreaking, I was glad nobody was around to witness me cry that hard over a book. After all this suffering she doesn’t get any real retribution, you just get a faraway flicker of hope, a wink of the eye and that’s it. It was infuriating, after all that suffering both her sisters get/keep the wonderful life, and she, well she doesn’t. I didn’t want to imagine what her happy ending could become... I wanted to read it! As I said in the beginning, this lack of retribution left me nervous, and unsatisfied!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Australian set novel, great sunshine read., 9 Sep 2014
Mrs. Joanne Price "paradisaslady" (Hereford UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Three Wishes (Paperback)
I bought this to read on a late summer holiday. The book kept me up until the small hours as I could not put it down. Absolutely loved all the characters, the enviable location of Lyn's home and the plot. The various characters were funny and their lives totally feasible. I especially sympathised with the panic attacks in car parks! Liane is a fabulous author and I would certainly love to read more of her books. I fell in love with Charlie too.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 30 Jun 2014
This review is from: Three Wishes (Paperback)
I loved this book, in fact, I've read every one the author has written. Great style, characters that come to life, story lines that will keep you hooked.

Liane, please write more!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, 12 Jun 2014
This review is from: Three Wishes (Paperback)
This is the best book I have read for ages. It is fun and has some moving moments too. If you like Marian Keyes you will love Liane Moriarty. This is a great story and I would recommend it. It is easy to get into and had me staying up late into the night / early morning to try and finish it.

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish..., 21 Mar 2014
This review is from: Three Wishes (Paperback)
...I hadn't read this so quickly! Liane Moriarty has become one of my favourite authors. Since reading 'The Husband's Tale' I've been racing through her back catalogue, and 'Three Wishes' is an absolute gem. The strength of Liane's writing really lifts the book out of the ordinary, and I couldn't get enough of the Kettle triplets! There's plenty of humour throughout, overlaying tough issues that are dealt with skilfully and sensitively, and I'm desperate for the author's next book now!

5.0 out of 5 stars If you've never read Liane Moriarty, nows the time!, 30 Jan 2014
This review is from: Three Wishes (Paperback)
Liane Moriarty, explores the relationship between three sisters, who happen to be triplets! interesting family dynamics, Brilliant book
Recommended read

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Three Wishes
Three Wishes by Liane Moriarty (Paperback - 5 Nov 2004)
Used & New from: £5.17