5.0 out of 5 stars Facing the Frozen Ocean
Published on 5 Sep 2005 by emmapettigrew

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable adventure tale, maybe a little lightweight
This book is the story of Bear Grylls' attempt to cross the arctic Atlantic ocean in an open inflatable beat. Bear leads a team of five on this challenge, and he tells the story of how the trip was organised and how close it came to disaster.

Published on 28 Sep 2007 by Rowena Hoseason

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Facing the Frozen Ocean, 5 Sep 2005
This review is from: Facing the Frozen Ocean: One man's dream to lead a team across the treacherous North Atlantic (Paperback)
This book was amazing. It left me speechless. I was hardly able to put the book down. I guarantee your feet will be itching and you will want to get out there and see and do the same things that the Bear and his crew did. I felt like I had had been a part of his journey, at times imagining what they must have gone through and the sheer determination that they all showed put a lump in my throat.
An excellent book, I would recommend it to anyone.

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable adventure tale, maybe a little lightweight, 28 Sep 2007
Rowena Hoseason "Hooligween" (Kernow, Great Britain) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)

I've read Bear's tale of climbing Everest (Facing Up) which is, to be honest, the better book. Facing the Frozen Ocean was an enjoyable holiday read but it didn't grip me in the same way that the Everest adventure did. Partly, I suspect that's because Bear himself loses the impetus to continue these adventures part-way through the trip; there is one appalling leg of the journey where death was very, very close. An angry Atlantic is no place to be in an open boat -- running out of fuel and left helpless in 20-foot swells. Bear questions why he is involved in this kind of escapade when he could be at home with his young family... and that sense of disengagement is obvious to the reader.

However, you also learn all about prepping for an expedition like this, and get a vivid description of what it was like. Bear's writing (or editor!) improves in this book so the text flows more easily than in Facing Up.

Overall, it's a fast-paced adventure tale -- just not one to rank among the classics.

5.0 out of 5 stars Facing the Frozen Ocean: One man's dream to lead a team acro, 24 Jun 2004
Robin Stevenson (Mansfield, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
One of the best books l have ever read and inspired me to book Bear to tell his story at our last Sales Conference....needless to say he was as good as his book and l felt very humbled to be sat there listening to his story.

3.0 out of 5 stars I like Bear Grylls, 9 Aug 2014
I like Bear Grylls, I really do. He's a clean cut roll model for teenage boys and an entertaining adventurers for all of us. Although the book tries to describe their physical hardships, which it does to some degree, it does not deal with the most interesting aspects of adventure i.e. the true dynamics between the group. At the end he says there was never a cross word between them. That is difficult to believe. In times of stress, and they went through severe stress, tensions erupt, and how they are dealt with or not dealt with is where the interest is for me. His faith is important to him and it's fine to mention that, but he lays it on far to thickly. If you like the guy as I do, read the book, but don't expect to come away knowing anything more about the real Bear Grylls or his friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic read., 14 Oct 2014
great account of this expedition . caught up in the most brutal horrendous storms at sea bear and his friends are battling against time and weather. its one of those books where you just want to keep reading , hoping that everything will be ok in the end. its like bear says "never give up, never give in". go for it bear!!

4.0 out of 5 stars " The man is mad ", 24 July 2009
I couldn't put this book down a truly amazing feat of craziness! Only somebody like him would have the guts to do something like that. I did ask myself why..but then I am not an adventurer or would want to attempt the impossible.Well done Bear and his crew.I hope that Shara is an understanding wife I suspect she has to be.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is why I read his books, 10 July 2014
As always bear grylls has written a fantastic book. This is why I read his books

5.0 out of 5 stars quite an adventure, 24 Jun 2014
An inspireing read which transports you all the way to the storms with them. weather it was a selfish act or not im not sure but one im sure the crew will never forget! a very good read

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST FOR BEAR FANS, 31 Dec 2013
This book was amazing from start to finish well worth a read for any Bear Fans out there. Took me 3 days to complete while on Holiday could not put it down. Amazing to think what this man has been through and what he has achieved in his life.

Brilliant Book. 5 Stars. Quick delivery and well packaged also.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Poles here I Come, 23 Oct 2013
How brave, how utterly fantastic. What a man. Wish I had met him years ago. The book is spellbinding. thanks

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›