Format: Paperback|Change

on 24 March 2006
This book is hilarious. Not only does it give a girl a look into the male psyche, but it also makes you laugh out loud. (I mean, do men REALLY think those things?!)
I have already purchased several copies to give as gifts to my male AND female friends. Better than Hornby and up there with Steve Horsfall in my opinion
on 19 May 2004
I immediately got into this book and honestly did laugh out loud loads of times when reading it. I don't usually do that. It's just got great characters and some hilarious situations (like trying to teach puppets yoga and a office bonding trip with magic mushrooms that goes terrifyingly wrong!). It's also good on the relationship stuff. Worth a go, definitely.
on 14 May 2004
I laughed out loud on the bus not once, but multiple times. Really quite a funny book. I'm not sure what to compare it to, the closest I can get is maybe Richard Curtis writing the novelisation of Sex and the City with Carrie having a gender change. I enjoyed it thoroughly.
on 31 January 2012
The Lad Lit genre is one full of more pitfalls than a retro game convention. When Scott Mebus embarked on the genre in 2004 he was stepping in the footsteps of such giants as Nick Hornby and Mike Gayle, but whilst these two authors are still writing lad lit, Mebus is now a children's author, so what went wrong? Perhaps choosing one of the most embarrassing titles for a book ever? `Booty Nomad' is a cringe worthy title and it makes reading the book an art in hiding the cover from other people. With a title like that you would suspect the book would be crass and charmless. Crass perhaps, but actually it was quite charming.

`Booty' follows many of the tropes of the Lad Lit genre; David the lovelorn hero searches for true love in a sea of quick and meaningless relationships. The character also manages to be wealthy despite himself - I wish true life was like that. In many ways David is not very pleasant, he struggles to remember the names of the women in his life so he nicknames them. I'm sure they have names for David, but none of them could be repeated here. Despite David being as alluring as a can of cat food left open for 4 days, Mebus is able to just about pull off some charming moments.

Dotted between the rude chats are some genuinely funny set pieces that had me amused; from the bizarre camping trip to the family egg hunt extreme. There is a sense of real kinship between David and the various friends he has in the book, it is just a shame that he does not treat the women in his life with the same level of respect. With moments that made me chuckle throughout I have to say that `Booty Nomad' overcame my embarrassment of the cover and was a decent slice of lad based literature.
on 5 August 2005
This book was great from the first page. Within the first chapter you felt like you knew the characters, like any of them could possibly be one of your mates.
It's a very witty read and the language is down to earth and each character is fantastically developed.
I was sad to see the book end but I defnitely enjoyed the way it did, it really couldn't have ended any other way.
on 20 June 2007
Such a good read. So refreshing to get a guy's perpective on a break up. I loved all the characters and they were bound together well by a fluid, easy to read narrative. Some very reduced to tears by laughter moments. However, this wasn't just a comedy book; the way the author explored and revealed David's vulnerable side was fantastic and made it a very rounded and accomplished piece of work.
I'm not much of a reader - books often fail to hold my attention and as a working writer myself, I tend to find myself picking at the way they're written rather than enjoying them, but this book - loved it!!!

Yes that's right 3 exclamation marks!

Scott Mebus' debut novel is hysterical. Not only that, but it's so well written that from about 3 pages in I was in love with the main character and could tell we were going to get along just fine.

You really feel for him, and if you're a (semi) normal bloke, will recognised more than a few traits that he suffers from within yourself, I'm sure.

The story, is odd. It's not really a blokey story, yet it is... It's chick-lit - but done in a blokey way. I, myself, have never come across anything like it before. It's a RomCom for men with the emphasis heavily on the com.

This is it's strength - I found myself laughing out loud on more than one occasion; it's laugh-out-loud-on-public-transport-with-tears-streaming-down-your-face-and-snot-coming-out-of-your-nose funny.

And I would say that's a pretty good description. It's about as accurate as you're gonna get from me any way...

I certainly found myself snorting out loud with hysterics from the word go. And only someone whose undergone a humour transplant will fail to find Scott's vivid descriptions of magic mushroom on team building work exercises and a goggle-eyed TV puppets pleasuring themselves wet the bed funny.

Another thing I loved about the book was Scott's evident love of language. Not in the sense of he used flash words, just in the sense that he uses English perfectly to describe weird situations in even weirder ways - so that he manages to convey everything so amazingly; simply, clearly and with a wry smile or belly aching guffaw, you get it. You just get it; all so perfectly.

Reading up on Scott a bit I'm guessing a lot of himself went into this book. The central character plays guitar in his spare time (in the loosest sense of the word, play) and is a TV producer, and it seems Scott, in real life, was head producer at MTV and wrote and produced music himself. And I think perhaps that's why the book is so great.

Drawing on what I'm assuming is real life, Scott has managed to give us a novel that feels real, relatable and like your one of the boys. Plus, you know what they say: Truth is stranger than fiction.

Verdict - an absolutely awesome read that is funny, funny, funny. I loved it. And in an odd way, it made me feel... like I was on the right path. Normal, I guess. For a debut novel, this gets better than full marks in my humble opinion. I give it 13 or so out of 10.
on 11 June 2014
Laugh out loud funny with excellent neurosis. Highly recommended! Never will you watch a show with puppets in the same way again...
on 6 January 2015
Just the job
I just couldn't summon up any empathy with the central character and sadly in the end I just couldn't find enough interest to finish the book even. I don't find Mr Mebus as good as Nick Hornby, Mike Gayle or Matt Dunn.