4.0 out of 5 stars A Potpourri of deceit, humor, romance, and revenge...
Published on 1 Nov 2005 by Ilavarasu Tamilmani

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as polished as later efforts
I have read Archer novels in no particular order and have enjoyed them all to varying degrees. I understand that this novel was his first and this seems obvious to me having read many of Archer's subsequent outputs. The novel is enjoyable and is a very quick read. I imagine it will however be forgettable in the time it takes me to write this review. The plot skips...
Published 13 months ago by hamishmoir

4.0 out of 5 stars A Potpourri of deceit, humor, romance, and revenge..., 1 Nov 2005
This review is from: Not A Penny More, Not A Penny Less (Paperback)
If you want a story of pure revenge, of people who get back at their deceiver, no matter what it takes, then this novel is for you. There are other novels in the same genre, but when the master story teller sets forth on the same theme, you get a novel like this. It stands apart from the rest in terms of the scenes, pace (or its variation), balance etc. There is no doubt about it.
Harvey Metcalfe, whose business acumen (irrespective of the moral connotations) had been sharpened on the streets, cons four unsuspecting investors (who are strangers to each other, but who had been baited by Harvey for carrying out his plans), with prospects of huge oil money. And they are not common folk - each of them is a notable person in his right - Stephen is an Oxford professor, Robin is a high profile physician, Jean-Pierre, a famous art dealer, and James Brigsley, an heir to earldom. They have one aspect in common - they have all been ripped off by Harvey - for a huge sum of money (million dollars).
How they join hands and get back at Harvey forms the rest of the story, in this thriller saga of revenge, with cunning and deceit. The pace never wanes any time, and I never wanted to keep the book down. If you liked the Payback movie, you are going to love this novel more, since it has 4 people wanting revenge - not a penny more, not a penny less... that is their motto, and they stand by it.
I expected a page-turner, and got one in this. It has the intelligence, pace, language, plot, characters - all that makes this a great novel, which is expected from a novelist of such acclaim as Archer. I read this after finishing Kane and Abel and The Prodigal Daughter, and should say that this novel is devoid of any unnecessary digressions, in spite of handling at least four players.
Do they finally succeed in their enterprise? The way Archer has written the ending of the novel is worth noticing. You have to read it till the end to get the thrill (and the fun)
Must buy for long weekends, long journeys, or simply anytime you want to spend your time with a good novel. I would recommend this book to all my friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant!!!, 12 Aug 2013
When I first read this many years ago I could not put it down and considered it the best story i had ever read.
Still excellent as my memory is bad so had forgotten lots
Led to me being a real fan of jeffery Archer and reading everything he writes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love him or hate him, Archer can write., 22 Mar 2007
Robin Johnston (Michigan, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Not A Penny More, Not A Penny Less (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book. I won't write what it's about since everyone else has covered it quite thoroughly. However, I returned to it many times to read again passages that I found particularly enjoyable. I can pick it up, open it at a random page and instantly be engrossed once more. As a matter of fact I find that with many of Archer's books.

Certainly that's the kind of thing that makes him a bestselling writer, but does bestselling mean `great'?

I don't know. What does `great' mean? I tried reading One Hundred Years of Solitude (which is supposed to be a great book) a few years ago, and gave up after 300 pages when I couldn't remember who was related to whom any more. On the other hand, I have loved Catcher in the Rye and To Kill a Mockingbird since I was a teenager. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Is Archer a great writer? Who cares? For me, `Not a penny...' is a great read, and that's what counts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Typical Archer!!, 19 Aug 2009
Gary Brown (Blackburn. Lancs) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Not A Penny More, Not A Penny Less (Paperback)
A story of great interest to people that are subject being "Conned".
Archer writes the story as if you are the person that has been duped!!
Brilliant read and fast paced!

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of Jeffrey Archer's Not A Penny More, Not a Penny Less., 9 Jun 2014
In his usual magnificent style, Jeffrey Archer has captivated me yet again with his ability to write a great story.
His intelligent and creative storyline never lets you down; the twist at the end is clever and his characters original and credible.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and would recommend it to all ages and stages of readers as his writing is easy to read, engaging to the end and beautifully crafted.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mr Chris Pickard, 8 Jun 2014
Jeffrey writes a book that allows the reader to be apart of story,almost like you are alongside the characters. Easy to read and very enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet Revenge, 25 May 2014
Jeffrey tells stories that you could well believe are true. Having read many books can't wait for more. Great read

5.0 out of 5 stars I love reading., 11 May 2014
I enjoy everything Jeffrey archer writes,and this one was particularly good. Also I love how my books are delivered ordered one minute the next on my machine. Keep it up amazon

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed., 20 Feb 2014
I chose this rating due to lack of interest in this story, just not my type of story line , a choice of book fro my book club which was likable by some and not others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Archer, 17 Feb 2014
Came back to this book and re-read it after 25 years. Brilliant concept, flawlessly executed. Brilliantly done. Classic Archer.

P

Not A Penny More, Not A Penny Less
Not A Penny More, Not A Penny Less by Jeffrey Archer (Paperback - 6 Mar 2009)
Used & New from: £0.01