5.0 out of 5 stars This should have been called Kane vs. Abel!
My reading list is comprised almost exclusively of fantasy fiction and Jeffrey Archer is one of the few non-fantasy novelists that I read. His novels are quite often predictable and rely heavily on coincidences. But without exception they are all unputdownable.
Published on 6 Aug. 2004 by Timbertwig

1.0 out of 5 stars Good book - shockingly bad proof reading
Started this book on my Kindle app just the other day.
I'm loving the storyline thus far. I'm approximately a third of the way through this book and am very impressed with my first Jeffrey Archer novel.
Published on 23 Dec. 2010 by Samantha L. Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars This should have been called Kane vs. Abel!, 6 Aug. 2004
Timbertwig (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Kane and Abel (Paperback)
Kane and Abel was the first Archer novel I read. The plot about two men born on the same day in different parts of the world is a compelling one. Archer weaves an intricate and entertaining tale of revenge and hatred as he chronicles the seemingly unrelated lives of the two protagonists. When their paths eventually cross, readers are thrown into a world of double-dealings, backstabbing, and intrigue.
Archer excels in making the readers care deeply for both the title characters. He does not make one the hero and the other the villain. Both are determined, successful and strong but ultimately humans capable of making mistakes. The twist that Archer throws in so skilfully at the end makes for one of the most bittersweet conclusions I have ever read.
Very few people I know would admit to liking Jeffrey Archer the Politician. But I can almost guarantee that this book will make you a fan of Jeffrey Archer the Storyteller. Give him a try.

5.0 out of 5 stars Splendid book covering two lifetimes (literally!!), 14 Mar. 2003
Darren Simons (Middlesex, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Kane and Abel (Paperback)
This was the first Jeffrey Archer book I read and all I can say if you haven't read it is go and get it... it's superb! The basic theme of the book is about two characters, one of whom is called Kane, the other (believe it or not) Abel. The book describes their lives in parallel and the various stages in life in which they meet or affect eachother. The book cleverly alternates chapter between each of them as they grow up in completely different environments in Boston and Poland, to the point at which you can't help but wonder whether these two will ever meet. The characters are described fantastically and the way in which true historic events are included is also very well done.
There isn't as such an excitement crescendo to this book and there are perhaps pretentions that this should go down as a classic (which for me anyone it does), but the ending to the story is brilliant - a top effort from start to finish.
On a side note, there are two books that follow this one as well - The Prodigal Daughter and Shall We Tell The President. The former is an excellent book although perhaps too similar to Kane and Abel looking at the next generation of Kane and Abel. Shall We Tell The President continues from this but was apparently originally written with completely different characters - for me, it's a shame it was changed... the book's great but it gains nothing by including the Kanes again.
My recommendation would be definitely read the Prodigal Daughter (but not too soon after Kane and Abel) but as for Shall We Tell The President, see if you can get a copy of the original version.

5.0 out of 5 stars The importance of an open mind, 3 Jan. 2004
This review is from: Kane and Abel (Paperback)
I must confess I entered into reading this with quite a sniffy attitude, which was quickly replaced by awe at such a well penned page turner. The plot itself, two men born at the same time with very different but intrinsically linked lifestyles, one materialistic and the other a survivor etc etc, makes for a somewhat cliched but excellent combination. The key to its success is how Archer manages to turn this into a rivotting storyline with clever twists and turns, fuelled by the hatred that the main characters have for each other when they both become rivals. You find yourself swept along with the fast pace and waiting for the good to trimuph over evil. If you've never given his books a try, I thoroughly recommend this for a good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars I only wish there were more stars..., 23 Feb. 2013
What a truly epic tale. I bought this before I was due to take a long haul return flight to try and pass those boring hours - I think on the return leg I wished the journey were even longer so I didn't have to tear myself away... From the very start I never wanted this book to end. I loved every second and only wish I had read it sooner (my foolish Jeffrey Archer snobbery getting in the way). I don't remember ever having been so involved with characters that I cried at the end of a book. Absolutely superb. Can't recommend it enough. If you're considering it... Read it!!! You'll be so pleased you did!

Just read this back; I should be on commission, shouldn't I!?

4.0 out of 5 stars Keeping you reading., 18 Mar. 2003
This book is one of the best reads I have had in a long time. I felt unable to put it down until it was finished. When I finally did finish reading it I wanted to immediately get my hands on the sequal. It is a tale of two mens struggle to achieve their dreams and goals, spanning 60 years. It tells the tale of one boy born to unbelievable wealth and another boy born in the pits of poverty. Their lives and destinys entwine. It has you rooting for them one minute and then frustrated with them the next.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime Story Telling, 7 May 2014
This has re-affirmed by belief that Jeffrey Archer is indeed a master story teller.

I originally read Kane and Abel in 1983 – in one night! I started about 8ish in the evening and got totally gripped. Luckily I had nowhere to be the next day and I proceeded with the ‘I will just read one more page, I’ll read to the end of the chapter, I’ll read one more chapter’ mantra until finally about 4 or 5 in the morning I had finished the book.

I just had to know what happens next and the way that Mr Archer intertwined his story of the two main characters, their families and businesses is so well written and described that I cannot imagine anyone would not find this a fascinating read. Love, hatred, allegiances, betrayal etc. everything is there.

I thought, before re-reading Kane and Abel again, that I remembered it perfectly from when I originally read it, but I had forgotten so much – and remembered a lot too, that again I could not put it down –although this time I paced myself and read it over several evenings. I am about to start re-reading The Prodigal Daughter and although not as gripping as Kane and Abel, it is still nonetheless a good, absorbing read.

I would thoroughly recommend this book to anyone. You are in for a total treat.

I have also just received the DVD of Kane and Abel and unlike most mini-series made from a book, this sticks to the book as near as is possible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still a great read, 16 Jun. 2011
I first read this 26 years ago and as a 15 year old i loved it so when i saw the 30th anniversary edition i thought it might be good to read it again as a 41 year old woman and it was so worth it. I enjoyed every page of it. Well worth a read again if you read it before and if you haven't then its a must for this summer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 9 July 2004
This review is from: Kane and Abel (Paperback)
Like quite a lot of people, I didn't think that Jeffrey Archer was a nice person - indeed he was in prison. But after listening to my Nan rave about his last book, Sons of Fortune, I decided to read some of his books. A trip to my local library gave me some of his short story books, and after those I was hooked.
Kane and Abel was by far the best novel that I ever read and would recommend it to everybody. It reveals quite a lot about prejudices and what people think about each other, especially during the War years.
Jeffrey Archer, I apologise for everything that I have said about you in the privay of my own home. You truly are a great author - much better than a plotician anyway.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kane and Abel - A modern Classic, 25 Jan. 2004
This review is from: Kane and Abel (Audio Cassette)
Kane and Abel is a wonderful novel, full of excitement, twist and tragedy all in the usual way that Jeffrey Archer manages to tell a tale.
A story of two men, one the son of a Polish peasant, the other a son of an American banker.The story weaves its way around the world as the two men grow older, richer and wiser. It focusses on the feud between the two men after the refusal of one of the men to lend the other some money during the depression .With many more side storys and a fair few more surprises, after reading all but one of this great storytellers novels, I should have to add that this is definately the best.

1.0 out of 5 stars Good book - shockingly bad proof reading, 23 Dec. 2010
Samantha L. Smith (Manchester) - See all my reviews
Started this book on my Kindle app just the other day.
However, what I'm not loving is the shockingly bad proof reading! Not quite sure how (technically) a paper book is fashioned into a Kindle book but what I'm sure of is that no human has proof read this edition. I'm wondering if somehow this edition has been auto-typed by a computer system; the mistakes almost read like predictive text sometimes.
There hasn't been a chapter so far without misspelt words or transposed characters within a word. Just awful. I'm not getting carried away when I say there's a mistake on almost every other page. The mistakes are so numerous it's distracting away from what is a very good book. What a shame.

Kane and Abel
Kane and Abel by Jeffrey Archer (Paperback - 4 July 2003)
Used & New from: £0.01