5.0 out of 5 stars Epic travel
In contrast to the numerous modern travel books which seem to focus on the 'personality' of the writer or trivial observations, this is an epic in every sense of the word. The scale of the journey is immense in distance and time, IB stayed to work as a Qadi (judge)in several places along the way, this means that you really get a deep sense of the politics and the people...
Published on 9 Mar 2007 by Minkle MacTinkle

3.0 out of 5 stars Ibn Batutta - a medieval Osama bin Laden
Published on 24 May 2010 by Jon Gibson Mcgill

5.0 out of 5 stars an open-minder, 22 April 2013
Sana Essid (London UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Travels of Ibn Battutah (Paperback)
Really loved reading it. Stories are astonishing and each time he reaches a city you would like to know how he found its people , and their habits and custom at that time.
This book make you travel the world and the time !

5.0 out of 5 stars So enriching!, 27 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Travels of Ibn Battutah (Paperback)
Ibn Battuta! What a character. His journey's were epic and he managed to capture thier magnificence in his eloquent recollection.

Would read and re-read to understand the rich culture of the world that was exposed to us through his eyeglass

5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Stimulating Storytelling, 14 Feb 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: The Travels of Ibn Battutah (Paperback)
The story told is based on his own true experience and worth reading. He is so honest when relaying his experiences and really open my eyes to other cultures and life that ever exist in the world. I envy his brave and courage to travel and learn about lots of things from it. Once reading his book, you can't put it down. You can even laugh and cry with him. He is so brave to with the cannibals and his story about his experience in his pilgrimage (Hajj) in Mecca, was so great that I can't find an exact word to describe it... he make us who has been there too, miss the place and want to go there again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Travels of Battutah, 30 Nov 2010
Mr. D. Cox - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Travels of Ibn Battutah (Paperback)
Although no maps or drawings the reading so far is that which my good lady and I was hoping for. A good read!

3.0 out of 5 stars Ibn Batutta - a medieval Osama bin Laden, 24 May 2010
Jon Gibson Mcgill (Kerava, Finland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Travels of Ibn Battutah (Paperback)
Ibn Batutta's rihla is of course interesting to read, simply because of the historical nature and rarity of the writing. But, when I actually sat down and read the book, I found his writing to be very repetitive and somewhat boring... I must have fallen asleep far faster on nights when I opened this book. I'm not saying that the subject material is boring, just that the way that Ibn Batutta's book reads, it's damn boring. This is possibly an effect of it being written in the 1300s whereas I'm a product of the 20th-21st century fast paced modern culture. On the positive side, I can say that there were scenes that aroused my interest and attention, for example, when Ibn Batutta describes the famous Lighthouse of Alexandria... he visited it both before and after it was hit by one of the first major earthquakes that eventually sent it to the bottom of the Mediterranean sea. But, on the negative side, somebody who is so fundamentally and unquestioningly religious as Ibn Batutta was, despite meeting people of other religions, makes me have contempt for this guy. Every place that he visits, the top item on his list for describing a city was how zealously pious (i.e. Islamically fundamentalist) the city was. The more dogmatically religious, the better. A place like China or India where there are large numbers of Infidels makes a guy like Batutta depressed. He has the same mentality as a modern day Jihadist (in fact he was literally a Jihadist, since he went to join the Jihad against Spain in al Andalus, toward the end of his travels). He doesn't didn't do justice to any descriptions of violent conflict however. When somebody (an infidel or Ibn Batutta) is about to be decapitated, inevitably they either repent or Allah intervenes to save them. If this guy is a comparatively mildly religious guy from the middle Ages, then I certainly would't want to meet the stern zealot from the same era.

The Travels of Ibn Battutah
The Travels of Ibn Battutah by Ibn Battutah (Paperback - 6 Jun 2003)
6.99