on 1 November 2003
Well, i can't speak for anyone else, but i think Meg Cabot is brilliant at cooking up romantic storylines about headstrong heroines. And Nicola and the Viscount is no exception. Typical to all Cabot's YA books... there're some guys, but the question is which one is right for Nicky!!!
Miss Nicola Sparks is fresh out of Madame Vieuxvincent's school for girls and looking for love. After many refused proposals Nicky starts wondering if Mr. Right is ever going to show up. But then it happens... she falls in love - and with the wealthiest, most popular batchelor in London too. Everything is seemingly heavenly. Only what Nicola, doesn't realise is that the man of her dreams is marrying her for all the wrong reasons. In this case, to gain rights over her beautiful inherited Northumberland mansion which he will then proceed to sell for a large profit to the Stockton and Darlington Railway Company... Oh and if you haven't already realised the book is set in the early 1800s. Anyway, as always, the heroine's plan doesn't go quite as she hoped, but thankfully another handsome young man is ready to catch her when she falls out of love. Nathaniel Sheridan, her best friend's brother who Nicky had always thought of as simply a friend, starts to become a whole lot more...
If you like Meg Cabot - then read it. If you don't or haven't even heard of her before, then i still advise you to read it!!! I think it's great and i hope you will too.
on 22 October 2003
I truly thought this book was very good. I am a teenager and I don't normally enjoy reading books about love! I prefer diary entrées but this book took me totally by suprise. It is surprisingly funny and sad all in one! Meg Cabot (I must say) is very good at making a girl's mouth water at the male characters in her book!!! The book has a lot of twists and some of the parts you can plan but nevertheless is a fantastic read!
on 21 March 2003
I read the Princess Diaries and All American Girl and liked both of those but this book is in a league of it's own in my opinion.
Another fantastic strong female lead character, and although the basic plot is an ickle bit predictable I certainly don't think it spoils the story.
If you're expecting it to be full of 19th Century style words and terminology that can be hard to understand, fear not, it's not like that.
Great ending and Meg Cabot is very good at dreaming up mouth-watering men, or so I think.
on 2 June 2008
It's a typical girly, teen romance but it doesn't stop me from loving it! I normally hate soppy romances and normally only read adult fiction books but I loved this from when I first read it years ago to now!

Meg Cabot has managed to write a light, funny and charming romance without missing out all the necessary history of the period it's set in. I know for a fact that after reading this book, when I was younger, it started my obsession with all historical fiction.

It's a great, happy read and it just makes you want to smile and read it again. Definitely recommended!
on 15 October 2006
this book is the first of meg cabot's teenage books ive read recently. easy to read and i enjoyed the twist on the usual plot line. most appealing thing to me was the mix of old and new worlds. Meaning the main characters had in my opinion very progressive attitudes for the time that the stories are set. easy to read and did keep me guessing til the end, from reading this book i have read many more of meg's books
on 1 September 2003
Nicola and the Viscount is my favourite book on earth! They should make a film version of it! I love the humor in which Meg writes it in.
Set in London 1808, Orphaned Miss Nicola Sparks during her first season out chooses yhe object of her dreams, Lord Sebastian or " the God" . Fancying herself in love they get ingaged and learns something terrible about him and forces to admit to hereself that even Lord Byron's poetry never taught her:Looks never measure much!
on 13 December 2007
I read Victoria and the Rouge and then I got this one, the story line is similar, only when she meets Lord Sebastian and finds out he's not what she thinks he is when he plans to build a railway through her beloved house, then she falls in love with Nathiel Sheringdon...
on 9 October 2005
Nicola and the Viscount promised to be good but I'm afraid I found it boring and hard to get into. Having read most of Meg Cabot's books and being a huge fan, I bought this one expecting to be impressed but sadly was not. I normally love historical romances and I thought this combined with Meg Cabot would be a great read but was left disappointed.
on 30 November 2002
I almost enjoyed 'The Princess Diaries: Mia goes Fourth'. 'All-American Girl' was disappointing. Luckily, Cabot almost simaltaneously releases a delightful bit of froth that does exactly what it tells you it will.
A book cited as 'teen historical romance' really isn't expected to be very deep or serious, and because it's 'teen' there's got to be quite a few less 'heaving bosoms' etc than adult romance. The 'historical' part is a bit of a laugh. A nod to London society and a little history of the train, I suppose, is meant to warrant this.
The romance is quite, quite charming, being not quite, quite light and quite, quite predictable, which is always comforting.
The plot is rather incredible (in the sense that it's not believable), although Cabot paints a mean hunk. Her male protagonists are droolworthy to say the least. Her main character, Nicola, is meant to appeal to us as the intelligent bimbo type, but is - generally speaking - just annoying. You get that though, and overall, this is a charming bit of froth that doesn't pretend to be anything else. Refreshing. If you want something heavier, try 'Les Liasons Dangereaux'. Or chocolate cake. Mmmmm. Chocolate.