5.0 out of 5 stars Tales Of The Otori: Brilliance Of The Moon
Published on 15 Sep 2004 by Mr. S. Brown

3.0 out of 5 stars Fizzled a little
I loved the first two books and anyone reading this review shouldn't take the 3 stars to mean this book isn't worth reading as it is, it's just that I was a little disappointed at the ending.
After the prophesy of 4 battles to win one to lose and death at the hands of his son.....I expected some action ie. lots of battles etc. Maybe I have an unquenchable lust for...
Published on 5 Jan 2005 by A. C. F. Guile

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Tales Of The Otori: Brilliance Of The Moon, 15 Sep 2004
Mr. S. Brown "roofliner" (stoke on trent) - See all my reviews
After finishing the second in this amazing Trilogy I was desperate to find out about when the next would be due, and I can also remember trying to find it in March for my mothers birthday, only to find out it was going to be out at around November. And even ended up ordering it from the American Amazon. But I have to say that this book was truely worth waiting for and gave all I wanted as a great fan and a reader of the book.
The thrid in the trilogy starts off with Otori Takeo endeavouring to have his land returned to him, as he was the legal heir to the Otori clan, and being adopted by the well known Lord Shigeru. With his Wife, Lady Shirakawa Kaede by his side, and many loyal men that may have been nothing more than peasents and farmers, they strive to defeat the unloyal and those who stand in his way. Though things weren't going to be that easy. The words of the wise woman from book two still remain and haunt him, that he will fight battles, and lose one. His son will be his killer. But Takeo remains determined to avenge Lord Shigeru and help his Wife regain control of her country too.
This book offers many thrills, duplicity, excitment, tension and passion. It was also written with greatness and deserves all praise. It is worth buying and reading as many others have enjoyed what may seem as a work of art.
Steph Brown.

5.0 out of 5 stars LIAN HEARN - AMAZING FOR EVERYONE!!, 28 April 2005
Hello
The lian Hearn triology is amazing. I throughly enjoyed it even though i am not a young adult. The story was so descriptive and intense that i couldnt put the book down! It is a story unlike no other and def one to try.
I like all kinds of book so if you enjoy a book with a little history, good story, little romance and fighting with a twist of magic and fantasy this is the book for you! GIVE IT A TRY!!!
Also please if you have read it can you recommend any similar books. I feel a bit down as got nothing else to read :)

5.0 out of 5 stars A good end to a cracking story, 15 Oct 2004
B. Yeoh - See all my reviews
If you enjoyed the other two books, then you'll like this third book too. Brilliance of the Moon completes the trilogy that follows Takeo and Kaede as they seek to reclaim their land and rights.
It has a gripping plot and a great use of different point of view. Shifting from Takeo to Kaede and back but in some ways it feels more of a continuation of book 2 than a complete book in its own right. This is perhaps both Takeo and Kaede have already goen through so much change, in both their emotional and physical make up that over coming the hurdles in front of them are a culmination of that change and don't require a further emotional journey.
There are great scenes, involving battles and adventures. Engaging characters from baddies (a giant with bones like stone), to allies (sea pirates) and the ever present Tribe, who have their own conflict to deal with. Takeo has to riase an army and fight five battles (Four battles to win and one to lose), Kaede has to deal with a powerful old lord and everyone has to decide on which side their loyalty lies.
There's a fair amount of blood, guts and love (so perhaps not suitable for the younger readers) but for a cracking story, it's hard to beat. I recommend it but read the first 2 books to begin with.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!, 18 Sep 2004
Rose (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This book (and the others in the trilogy) have to be some of my favourites. They are so well written and make you want to keep on reading forever!
I would recommend anyone to read these, adults or teenagers as they deserve to be read by millions of people everywhere

5.0 out of 5 stars Takeo and Kaede's story doesn't end here, 11 May 2009
For the third time I'm taken away with where Lian takes Kaede and Takeo's story. This installment is darker than the others, with more heartache, violence and turns in the plot I couldn't have predicted.

I do like the brief character list at the beginning of the book. It was there in book 2, but I forgot to comment on it. The map gives an idea of where everything takes place, although to be fair I often don't look at maps more than once.

There is no-one who escapes from all this. Takeo faces life without Kaede. He has to make decisions which go against what he believed the future to hold for him. He demonstrates great leadership skills. The tough decisions he makes would be hard for anyone to make, but he does so knowing sacrifices sometimes are the only way for life to improve.

Kaede accepts a terrifying fate to keep her loved ones safe. My poor tummy turned upside down when the action that changes her life here happened. If I hadn't peeked at the end of this book, and then the end of the fourth, more tissues would have been needed. I was a little disappointed, considering how much of her view there initially was in the book that there wasn't a chapter before the final one, explaining what happened after a liberating event. But then the overall story arc is mostly Takeo's, and not much needs explaining. I just love Kaede!

A newcomer to the POV telling is Shizuka. Previously a maid of Kaede's, and one of the Tribe who wish to kill Takeo, her viewpoint on events provides greater understanding for why the Tribe act as they do. And, she's definitely not a hardhearted woman.

The story isn't all doom and gloom, there are a few moments of peace, where the scenary and clothing (see? I'm totally obsessed with costumes in the Otori story) have my mind thirsting for me. From the limited knowledge of Japan I have through anime, japanese lessons and general knowledge, this series captures a great many of the unique customs of the island nation.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT, 3 Nov 2004
By A Customer
The final installment in this gripping series, Kaede and Takeo are now married and wanting to claim Kaede's town, Marayama, that she is promised. This is a wonderful novel, where your emotions are played with and you feel as though you are really there in the novel. If you've read the other two Otori books, and liked them then you will love this one!!! I found this book one of the most brilliant that I have ever read, and would recommend it to any one interested in reading whether you are 10 or 40, its a book that can be read by any age. Go out and buy it, I promise you wont be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars A LYRICAL, PERSUASIVE VOICE PERFFORMANCE, 18 July 2004
Gail Cooke (TX, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Kevin Gray received plaudits for his readings of " Grass For His Pillow" and "Across The Nightingale Floor," Books One and Two in the Tales of the Otori Series. He delivers another blockbuster performance with the final book in the trilogy, "Brilliance of the Moon." His performing voice is soft yet strong, persuasive, almost lyrical. Aika Nakasone more than holds her own with the sable voiced Gray.
Now safely wed hero Otori Takeo and Shirikawa Kaeda take little time to honeymoon but he sets off to secure what he considers their birthrights. They remember the holy woman's prophecy: "Your lands will stretch from sea to sea, but peace comes at the price of bloodshed. Five battles will buy you peace, four to win and one to lose....."
However, their enemies are formidable as their marriage has infuriated warlord Arai Daiichi and Lord Fujiwara. He is able to emerge victorious in two battles but, meanwhile, he learns that his bride has been kidnaped and turned over to the vengeful Fujiwara.
Obstacles mount and actions escalates, holding listeners in thrall as this mystical tale of medieval Japan unfolds.
"Brilliance of the Moon" is first-rate entertainment leaving listeners hoping for just one more adventure.

4.0 out of 5 stars An imperfect jewel, but still precious, 25 Aug 2006
The `Otori Trilogy' is a completely unique set of modern fantasy stories, truly refreshing in every way (especially in comparison to some other clichéd examples of the genre around at the moment) and one that very rightly deserves to be remembered and even to grow in popularity in years to come. But despite the delicate and vivacious prose, moving character histories and a truly involving imagined world, the `Otori Trilogy' is one that I felt never quite touched me in the way that great fantasy always should. As I came to the end of `Brilliance of the Moon' I was satisfied, but not as deeply moved as I wished to be.

One of the unique attributes of Hearn's writing for me is that as I read I am constantly surprised by the choices the characters make, frequently appalled by the horrific acts of violence they visit upon each other and numbed by the deaths of characters whose lives are taken seemingly so needlessly, but for whom Hearn has invested so much into. But while the actions of Takeo, Kaede, Kenji and all the rest always came as a constant surprise to me, in comparison the plot is somewhat linear with few twists to the tale, relatively few complications to entertain the reader and little deviation from the prophecy that was previously laid out as Takeo's path to greatness. Although this is a minor quibble, I couldn't help but feel that it was the author's duty to make rules and then break them, to predict one thing and to deliver another, just often enough to keep the reader on his/her toes. But the lack of complication meant that I never became as invested in the lives of the characters as I hungered to be, because so much is delivered to the reader by Hearn almost exactly as he foretold us that it would in the previous two stories.

In particular, I found the first half of this book much too sluggish, which shouldn't be the case in the conclusion to a trilogy. It was only about half-way into the book that the story really started to get as engrossing for me, as I found the entirety of `Grass for his Pillow' to be, which is achieved with a twist that I did not see coming. But even so, considering this is the third part of a trilogy- there were only a handful of chapters that I raced through in order to find out all that would happen next while at the same time savouring every line, word and syllable of them for their gorgeously precise descriptions and evocative dialogue.

Truthfully, `Brilliance of the Moon' is not the epic conclusion I was hoping for, but I was never, ever disappointed by it, because there's so much to enjoy about this book that at times it can be overwhelming and for that reason I would whole-heartedly recommend this book to everyone who fell in love with `Across the Nightingale Floor' and `Grass for his Pillow' just as Takeo and Kaede did for one another as they journeyed side-by-side through the harsh landscape of the Three Counties. Magical.

5.0 out of 5 stars I have never read such a fantastic book, 24 Sep 2004
The "Tales of the Ortori" staggered and amazed me, i was addicted after the first paragraph in "Across the Nightingale Floor", the second book,"Grass for his Pillow", proved to be even better than the first and the third, "Brilliance of the Moon", an epic tale of revenge and love was just incredible. The books were written with such beautiful detail and insight that i found myself transformed to another world whilst still sitting in my chair, something every writer is aiming for but Lian Hearn achieved to the highest standard. Never before have i been so dissapointed for a series of books to end. Lian Hearn deserves all the praise in the world.

5.0 out of 5 stars The brillance of this Book, 25 Aug 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Brilliance of the Moon (Paperback)
The Brillance of the moon is the beautiful conclusion(?) to The Otori trilogy. It starts with Kaede and Takeo together finally after being happily married even though throughout the book this marriage causes many problems.
Takeo's life is still wanted by the Tribe and Takeo himself is still determined as ever to avenge Lord Shigeru's unfornunate death, while keeping the prophecy at the back of his mind.
Like both of the previous books, the book switches between Takeo's story and Kaede's. Takeo is becoming ever more ruthless, forcing his mermories of the Hidden to be forgotten while he faces his enemies and Kaede is growing desperate in her desire for the power she will gain when she rules her own land and her disgrace at not being born a man.
This book is a good ending, but i feel that the 'five battles' are a little brief one barely lasting two pages. But at least this stops the book from turning into a huge blood bath.
The build up from the previous two books is greatly summed up, but i am not sure if this is the end and whether or not there are two more books to follow- 'Heaven's Net is Wide' and 'The Harsh Cry of the Heron'
I would recommend this book as a definate to anyone who has read the first two and if you haven't read them first.
There is room for a sequel as not all of the prophecy was fulfiled, but to say anymore would ruin the end....

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Brilliance of the Moon
Brilliance of the Moon by Lian Hearn (Paperback - 1 April 2005)
Used & New from: £0.01