4.0 out of 5 stars Big Fiction Fan
Published on 21 May 2004 by Benny

1.0 out of 5 stars Silly, with too many cliches and coincidences!
Published on 6 May 2004

4.0 out of 5 stars Big Fiction Fan, 21 May 2004
This review is from: Some Kind of Wonderful (Paperback)
Some Kind of Wonderful is a really lovely read, full of Irish charm. It's set in the countryside and the plot moves along at a nice, fast pace, making it ideal for holiday reading, or for reading on the bus or train. It has a kind of fairy tale feel to it - with a happy ending of course, but I liked that. it took me away from real life while I was reading it. I also liked Something to Talk About by the same author.

5.0 out of 5 stars This IS wonderful, 7 May 2004
This review is from: Some Kind of Wonderful (Paperback)
I have just finished reading this book and the title is representative of the contents. It is wonderful. Rosie, an everyday woman, who struggles with work, a child and a husband, learns that her husband is unfaithful. While the story unfolds, you find yourself not wanting to put the book down. Gripping story. A must read. Sarah Webb has done it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another brilliant read from Sarah!, 27 July 2004
This review is from: Some Kind of Wonderful (Paperback)
This book is gripping from the very beginnning. It's fun and lighthearted, but has it's serious moments. It's a must have for all chick lit fans!

4.0 out of 5 stars Pure escapism, 15 Jun. 2013
F Keegan (N.Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Some Kind of Wonderful (Paperback)
Set in Ireland the story centres around the life of Rosie, stressed at work and trying to raise her daughter Cass, she is shocked when her husband Darren announces he is moving out and in with the much younger Tracey. Devastated she pretends nothing is wrong until her sister Kim discovers the truth. When the secret is out her dad, Rex helps her with opening up a small art gallery in the Redwood estate. Having gone to school with Rory the estate owner's son she decides to move to Wicklow and change her life, for once doing something she loves and getting more time to spend with her daughter.
Once there she is introduced to some colourful characters, Martina who is in love with Rory but cannot commit and won't say why.Leo, the surly gamekeeper in the wildlife park on the estate and Anna, the estate's housekeeper.
The book details the lives of these characters, love, devastation and friendship being the core themes throughout. Can Rosie pick up her life and make something of it or will she always have a hankering for what she knows best, being Darren's wife and Cass' mother?
Told mostly from Rosie's point of view some of the other key characters also get to narrate a chapter and as those of you who know me, know this is my favourite style of writing.The novel worked well for me and I read it in quite a short space of time. I defy you not to fall in love with Wicklow ( which I can say is a fantastic area) and the female characters in the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Wonderful, 13 July 2004
This review is from: Some Kind of Wonderful (Paperback)
This is both my first review here and the first Sarah Webb's book I've read. I really agree with Benny from Chicago. I loved reading the book cause I found there just what I was looking for: to be taken away from real life and have a good time. In my opinion there's already too many problems in the world to keep chewing things over and over even in our free time. When I bought this book I already knew what I was going to find. I just wanted to unwind, and have a good time reading. And I've got it :) I really fancy how the story is going on and the way it is written. In one sentence, "Some Kind of Wonderful" is the kind of book that lets you a sweet taste in your mouth.

1.0 out of 5 stars Silly, with too many cliches and coincidences!, 6 May 2004
This review is from: Some Kind of Wonderful (Paperback)
This book disappoints. The back cover implies that when her husband leaves her, Rosie, the lead character grabs life with both hands and totally turns it around. Not true! Her dad just happens to find the perfect little gallery opening up at the perfect time for her, there just happens to be a perfect, rose covered cottage that just happens to be vacant nearby, a perfect new nursery school for her daughter that so happens to have one vacancy...and you've guessed it - there's a perfect bloke waiting for her, not to mention prefect friends....surely divorce isn't that easy for anyone? Another point- about a quarter of the way into the book we are suddenly being told the story by somebody called Martina not previously mentioned - I thought it was a printing error and belonged to the wrong book!

1.0 out of 5 stars Is this for real?, 14 July 2004
This review is from: Some Kind of Wonderful (Paperback)
This book indicates clearly what a shambles the book business is in. It's childish, with half baked predictable plots, and personally, I find it an insult to women's intelligence. It is extremely sad to think that women are reverting to reading such material. Interestingly enough, I note the author used to write childrens books. Perhaps she should revert to what she knows best, as this simply does not pass for an adult read.

Some Kind of Wonderful
Some Kind of Wonderful by Sarah Webb (Paperback - 2 April 2004)
Used & New from: £0.01