5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely great and very realistic!
This is a great book about a young girl who discovers she has scoliosis (curvature of the spine) and the effects it has on her life. It's all about how she reacts to it and learns to deal with it, and with her friends reactions to the scoliosis and in particular the brace she has to wear.
As a 'girl' with scoliosis myself, I found this book very realistic and...
Published on 26 April 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars some disparity of style and age appropriate content
This short book is aimed at a young pre=teen audience. Deenie is a 7th grader who has a mum and aunt who adamant that one day she will be a famous model. Their expectations for Deenie's sister, Helen, are that she will have some type of high flying academic career. Neither of these things are what the girls want for themselves.

Deenie is discovered to have...
Published 21 months ago by adele

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely great and very realistic!, 26 April 2002
This review is from: Deenie (Paperback)
As a 'girl' with scoliosis myself, I found this book very realistic and helpful, I first read it at 9 and 12 years later I'm still reading it again and again. It is a great book with brilliant charachters and I would (and have) recommended it to all my friends.
Whether you are just looking for a good book, or whether you want to learn about the struggle girls have with scoliosis, it is a great book and well worth a read.
BORROW IT, READ IT, THEN YOU WILL WANT TO BUY IT!

3.0 out of 5 stars some disparity of style and age appropriate content, 9 Mar 2013
adele (stamford, uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deenie (Paperback)

Deenie is discovered to have scoliosis of the spine and has to wear a back brace for four years. This causes deep insecurities and embarassment for Deenie and she is worried that the one boy she likes will no longer be interested.

The book is told from Deenie's perspective with the correct thought processes of a girl her age. The characterisation is very good for all the character's who are all very different from each other.

This has been a banned and challenged book due to some of it's content which focuses on female masturbation for comfort and on Deenie's questions about sex as a young adolescent, but I felt the subjects were covered sensitively and accurately.

The general style and simplicity of the book put me in mind of a readership age of about of about 10 years old or maybe even younger but the content is more appropriate for girls aged 12-14. This is a disparity which does not work.

I also felt that the ending was rather abrupt, more could definitely been said.

Overall I would give this book 3/5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 6 Nov 2000
This review is from: Deenie (Piccolo Books) (Paperback)
I read this book two years ago, and I didn't know what scoliosis was until then. I have recently been diagnosed with scoliosis and I wouldn't have known what it was if I had not read the book. I have read it again a few weeks ago and I have understood it more, since I now have it myself. I would recommend this book to anyone, as it is interesting as well as informative.

5.0 out of 5 stars Deenie- Judy Blume, 13 Nov 2009
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Deenie (Paperback)
This book is great! I was gripped from the first page and read it in 2 days flat. I think that this book gets the message across that not everyone is perfect, you have got to accept people the way they are. I love that Deenie is learning how to accept herself and explores a lot of herself through the journey with the story.This is a great book and all ages above 10 or 11 could read this book with a good understanding of the message and plot. I read it and I am 12. One of the best books I have read, I think i could probably read it again and still with as much excitement as the first time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yet another great book from Judy Blume!, 29 Dec 2001
This review is from: Deenie (Paperback)
Deenie is the story of a teenage girl whose mother's dream is for her to become a model. Deenie isn't so sure about this but goes along with it to please her mother. When Deenie is diagnosed with Scoliosis, a condition of the spine which means she has to wear a back brace, Deenies mothers dreams of her beautiful daughter becoming a model are shattered. Though Deenie is relieved not to have to become a model she hates wearing the brach, but it doesn't look like she has much choice......
This book is written in a simple, readable style as are many Judy Blume books. The dialogue is very realistic and the characters are interesting and believable.
This is a very enjoyable book that deals with interesting issues that many authors are scared to discuss. A must for every Judy Blume fan!

4.0 out of 5 stars A sensitively written,true to life story - A great teen read, 27 Jun 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Deenie (Hardcover)
"Deenie" is diagnosed as having a condition called Scoliosis, as do I. As such, I was very interested to read this book and to see how the subject was approached. I found the book to be very informative, on the most part accurate, and extremely well researched. Being alot older than the audience target group I thought I would find it tedious, but I couldnt put it down. I felt that "Deenie" was a fantastic character, with all the typical teenage traits and the author captures the emotions of adolescence and those experienced with Scoliosis brilliantly. There were two areas within the book which were not as strong as the rest. Firstly during the consultation with one of the specialists Deenie and her parents are told that the curve needs to be corrected for cosmetic purposes. This is not the main concern when treating Scoliosis. No reference is made to the effects Scoliosis can have on a persons health if the condition is left untreated. I also strongly believe that teenage girls have enough concerns regarding a positive self image as it is and portraying this condition as purely a cosmetic problem could have negative effects. The second area I felt to be lacking slightly was the conclusion to the book. I was left wondering what happened to Deenie? How did she cope in the years following? Did the bracing have the desired effect? Scoliosis doesnt just go away as I was led to believe in this book and concluding the book in this way could also, unintentionally, lead to false hope. The author has a fantastic way of encapsulating the whole feeling of adolescence and Scoliosis - It would be fabulous to meet Deenie again a few years down the line.(Hint! Hint! ) Overall I believe that "Deenie" is a fantastic read for all the family. It contains educational and factual information on a level that can be understood by all. Definitely a recommended read not only for those newly diagnosed with the condition, but also their parents, relatives and all teenagers worldwide. Not enough people are aware of Scoliosis and its far reaching implications on the adolescent, but Judy Blume has taken an excellent, while sensitive, approach to raising awareness of this condition. Well done!

3.0 out of 5 stars This book is quite good! :), 21 Nov 1999
This review is from: Deenie (Piccolo Books) (Paperback)
I enjoyed this book and Judy Blume is an excellent writer but even though it had a really great storyline, I feel that it didn't quite "end" and that the ending could have been better.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great teenage book, 9 Mar 2000
This review is from: Deenie (Piccolo Books) (Paperback)
Deenie's mother wan't her to be a model. 'God gave you a special face, and he wanted you to put it to good use' she says, but deep down inside, Deenie knows that she doesn't want to be a model. She is almost relieved when the doctors put an end to her glittering career when she has to wear a brace to straighten her spine. But, later on, she is convinced that the brace has shattered her hopes and dreams, and also her relationship with Buddy Brader......

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect present for 11 year old, 6 Jan 2010
T. MCMICHAEL "tracya" (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deenie (Paperback)
I bought my daughter this book for Christmas as I was struggling for a new author for her to read. I loved Judy Blume as a child but wasn't sure if she would be out of date for todays children. My almost 11 year old loved it, and has asked for more for her upcoming birthday. She liked how it dealt with normal teenage problems but made you laugh as well. I think I'll be re-reading too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Go Read it!, 29 Jun 2000
This review is from: Deenie (Piccolo Books) (Paperback)
This book tells the story of a girl with a Mum pushing her in to Modelling,but every Agency says theres soemthing wrong with Deenies posture.Then they find out why!Deenie has something wrong with her back and will have to wear a brace on her back for 4 years .This book is quite sad but it teaches you that it doesn't matter what is on the outside.Its the in side that counts.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Deenie
Deenie by Judy Blume (Paperback - 3 Jun 2011)