on 1 November 2001
When I first found this book in the charity shop where my nan worked, I thought it was about a girl called Margaret who lived her life by the 'book'. A bible basher, basically. But then I read the first few pages and I was hooked. Margaret is an only child, so gets a bit lonely, especially when her family moved away from her beloved grandmother. So, she talks to God. But, she doesn't actually have a religion, as her parents have different religions. They leave it up to Margaret to decide when she's older. As well as her trauma of moving, Judy Blume takes you through puberty through Magaret's eyes. It's just fantastic, especially for ages 9-14, although it is enjoyable for any age.
on 19 October 2015
I am 28 years old, yet I can still read this book over and over again. I remember when I first read it at primary school, my friends and I all got excited for the things Margaret spoke about, bras, periods, boys. All the things that get on our nerves now lol.
I just love going back to read it again and feeling the same feeling as I did when I was younger. Really excited for the unknown ahead
on 31 August 2015
Oh this brings back memories. This book answered so many questions for me and made me realise that I wasn't alone with some of the emotions I was going through as a young girl. I've bought this for my 10 year old daughter, who can't put it down. It's a great story which actually makes you feel normal, something a lot of young girls struggle to feel in this day and age.
on 23 May 2016
I loved this book. It is the story of a young girl who is looking for a religion having not been brought up in a religion by her family. She does a project for school and goes to a variety of churches. The relationship with her teacher is very interesting. She also has a relationship with God. The girl stands out for doing her own thing and knowing her own mind. I liked the bit when the girl becomes angry with God, it is so real and the struggle is very enlightening. It would be a good book for anyone who wants to start to prey but does not know how.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 24 September 2014
Margret moved from New York to a smaller town in New Jersey. Her parents wanted to live in a house with a garden. Margaret misses the city. Especially because now she doesn't have the chance to see her grandma as often as she likes. She quickly finds a friend, but that doesn't help her to feel less insecure. Religion is important in the town, it helps to define where people belong and as Margaret's father is Jewish and her mother is a Christian they've decided she can make up her own mind when she's ready for it. For a school project Margaret tries to find out which religion would suit her best. Meanwhile she's worried, because she doesn't have any breasts yet and she's anxiously awaiting the day she gets her period. She doesn't want to be a late developer. Margaret shares all her worries with God and asks him to help her.

Margaret is twelve years old and she struggles with a lot of insecurities. She moves to a smaller town where things she'd never given any thoughts matter all of a sudden and that makes her wonder about her own identity. She wants to be normal and her wish is to be like everybody else. She wants to wear a bra and she can't wait to have her period. She's also starting to get interested in boys. I loved reading about what goes on in the mind of this twelve year old girl. I think this is a great book for young girls as they probably have the same issues and questions, but older readers will definitely like it as well. Judy Blume's writing is really good, it's so clever and vivid. The new cover of this book is stunning and most of the things Margaret's thinking about are timeless. I think Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret is both original and wonderful.
on 16 September 2015
Although this was written 40 years ago, my 11 year old grandaughter loved it. I can remember her mother loving Judy Blume books and now my granddaughter is reading them. Her books have stood the test of time!
on 8 December 2014
I loved this book as a child so I purchased for my 11 yr old daughter. She read it in more or less 1 sitting! She couldn't put it down and has gone on to read more Judy Blume books.

An absolute classic.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 9 October 2014
Five stars for what is a beautiful and honest story about how it feels for a young girl to come of age and start developing into a young woman. From fitting in with your family and friends, to boys, boobs and periods.

Originally published in 1970, I can remember reading this book by this book when I was young; it was top of the reading list for me and all my friends, because it talked about things that not all our parents were confident to speak about with us.

The issues it covers were just as relevant for young girls when it was first published, as they are today. And although parenting is a lot more progressive these days, and sexual awareness seemingly happens at a much earlier age, this books is still invaluable for girls who may be struggling with their physical, social and emotional identity, which is why I found myself reading the book again, so I could share it with my daughter.

Despite being written in the 70s there is very little to date this book. Based in America, the cultural aspect between the USA and UK is also not a show stopper. Primarily this is Margaret's story of growing up and wanting to fit in with the people around her. She has a mother, and father and a grandmother who adore her, and friends whom she is loyal to, even if she can't always agree with them. It works for every generation and touches on the earliest concerns of pre-teen girls, without being explicit, scary or over the top. It's sweet, endearing and honest. I would recommend this book for any 10-12, year old girls, who may be entering that often difficult, transitional period.
on 14 September 2015
Having read this when I was in school in the 1980s I fancied a nostalgic read. The book didn't disappoint me and it was all I remembered it to be. A lovely insight into a pre-teen girls life with the life changing events that happen during that time. I'm now encouraging my daughter to delve into this book and become a judy Blume fan herself.
on 10 June 2013
My daughter is 14 and feeling self-conscious. A friend recommended this to help her with her confidence issues at school and social gatherings.