on 27 January 2002
How Pilates has changed! When I bought Lynne's first book 'Pilates Way' four years ago, it was the first book of its kind focused on Pilates. It was a fantastic intro and I moved on to the Manual when it came out. Now, I've delved into three or four other Pilates books but I have to say that the Manual remains head & shoulders above everything else in terms of clarity, range of exercises - and common sense! If you only buy one book on Pilates, this has to be it!
11 comment|135 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 June 2001
This book is excellent. It is written superbly, and is very easy to read and understand. The colourful pictures are very helpful and really help you to see how you should be performing the exercises.The focus throughout the book is to keep your abs "zipped and hollowed" no matter what exercise you are performing or for what part of the body. This book offers a wide range of Pilates exercises for each part of the body.The book is divided up into Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced Programmes which are very well thought out and each offers a good all round Pilates class. There is also a section addressing which exercises you should concentrate on for individual and sports specific problems. Although this book does not cover every single Pilates exercise, it is by far one of the most comprehensive and useful books I have seen so far. If you want to get into Pilates the correct way and are looking for a quick and easy reference book, this one has got to be it.
0Comment|104 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 July 2006
A lot of good has been said about this book by previous reviewers, so I'll only agree with those glowing remarks and add one warning to owners of other Body Control Pilates books -- this book just cuts and pastes entire paragraphs and pages of info from the first book "Body Control" and "The Pilates Prescription for Back Pain" (which is just another title for the "Body Control Back Book").

Basically, Body Control are putting out the same (really great!) book with only a few updates and changes here and there (newer studies on engaging the pelvic floor before scooping & hollowing has replaced the old navel-to-spine only advice, for instance) -- and a lot better photographs and graphics.

So, if you own several other Body Control books, like I do, and aren't interested in fancy photography, you'll be disappointed here. But if you are new to their range of books and this is to be your first or only one -- go for it, you cannot do better, this Method is fantastic.
on 29 December 2000
Fantastic! This is a well put together book with safe, sensible exercises. I was told to try Pilates after 10 years of yoga and to get this particular book as a reference. It's easy to work with. Good stuff!!
on 3 February 2001
Gordon Thomson is a gifted instructor and this is perfectly conveyed through this wonderful and beautifully presented book. I recommed this book to anyone with an interest in Pilates, be they beginners or professionals.
on 5 November 2000
I totally agree with the last reviewer! This is a very well presented book... and, to me, this covers everything I can think you would need from a Pilates book - as an athlete, it's nice also to see the level of support that the authors clearly have from medical and sports specialists.
on 26 June 2010
This book was recommended to me by my Body Control Pilates instructor and has proved a useful tool to compliment my classes. Exercises are easy to find within the book and in most cases easy alternatives are offered allowing you to progress at home as you do in class.
on 29 August 2009
This is a beautifully presented book - very good introduction, clearly set out for easy access in stages of progress, definitive step-by-step methods and wonderfully illustrated. Very good value for money and an extremely worthwhile investment.
on 19 October 2000
I have two of Lynne Robinson's previous Body Control books. They are great but this is a huge step forward in the depth of knowledge and the style of presentation. This seems to cover just about everything related to Pilates so a huge 'well done' and 'thank you' to the authors!
VINE VOICEon 12 September 2008
I bought this book after doing 1-to-1 classes for over 3 months with a very good and inspiring instructor in the Body Control Method. I have benefited considerably especially with regard to general quotidian painlessness, greater flexibility and a fully mobile neck, which has all but eliminated headaches for me.

The book now serves as a good aide-memoire for specific exercises, as I am wont to forgetting the names and remembering only the exercises, which makes it difficult for me to write my exercise diary. More importantly, the book is very helpful in building a work-out plan for the 4 weekdays when I do not have my 1-to-1 lesson.

Using the book is easier with an understanding of the concepts and many of the starting movements. If you are beginner, I would not recommend you use the book as a short-cut. It is less a text book, more a reference book. And for that role, it gets 5 stars from me.