5.0 out of 5 stars WONDERFUL/A GREAT FIND ! - Super
Re : IN A DRY SEASON by Peter Robinson...
'In a dry season' is probably the most involving novel I have read since 'Black Dog' by Stephen Booth. The characterisation totally enchanting and the plot just sucks you in, but at all times there is this subtle menace, just shimmering on the surface, like the petroleum rainbow on a greasy puddle.
This is my first...
Published on 13 Jan 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars Wartime was strange
This was a really good read. I thought the two storylines running together worked really well. Good ending as well.
Published 10 months ago by Paul

5.0 out of 5 stars WONDERFUL/A GREAT FIND ! - Super, 13 Jan 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: In A Dry Season (The Inspector Banks Series) (Paperback)
Re : IN A DRY SEASON by Peter Robinson...
This is my first Inspector Alan Banks novel, and will not be my last, as I have just picked up 'COLD IS THE GRAVE' and then I must read 'AFTERMATH', so please forgive me if some of the back-story on Banks is somewhat fuzzy. Alan Banks is a wonderful character, middle aged angst and cynicism, and just enough lack of respect for authority that makes a great series character. Separated, starting a new life with a real tosspot of a boss ACC Jimmy Riddle, Alan Banks is given a blind-alley of a case, the investigation of a skeleton found in a drained reservoir. The skeleton dates from WW2, and an involving case (partially told in first person by one of the protagonists).
From here the story is woven like a fabric carpet, between Banks's life and the investigation vis-a-vis the story of the Skeleton from the past.
Wonderful, Wonderful and totally bewitching, with an ending that just zaps you totally. I read this book slowly firstly as I was/am still suffering from this head-cold, but also to savour Robinson's mastery of the English language. I had figured all the possible endings, and was not surprised at the close, but more amazed at how he pulled it off so deftly.
The real mystery is how I had not discovered Inspector Banks before !
Well done Mr Robinson...
I can not recommend this book highly enough, world-class and extremely moving with something to say about the human condition and relationships.
ALBERTO

5.0 out of 5 stars Unusual and interesting, 28 Aug 2008
Donna L. Collings (Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In A Dry Season (The Inspector Banks Series) (Paperback)
This was on someone's list with other books I've enjoyed and the initial interest for me was that it was about a flooded village as I knew of the Lady Bower Reservoir near Sheffield which is similar.

Within 3 pages I was engrossed. The dual timeline is nicely done as you get to know the characters more and the war aspect was interesting. It's nicely written and I've since bought more of his books. However, I have to agree with other reviewers that although the story was interesting, the references to the cd collection were tedious and I began to skip over them after the first few.

I also thought the ending was a bit strange and felt as if the writer must have had a few more pages to fill but maybe that's just me... Nonetheless, an enjoyable read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A factually detailed and intelligent maze of suspense, 7 April 2002
This review is from: In A Dry Season (The Inspector Banks Series) (Paperback)
I had never heard of Peter Robinson until I saw the spec on Amazon. I believe without a shadow of a doubt that Mr Robinson is very understated and sadly unknown author. He is a literary genius in my books (Excuse the pun!) In A Dry Season is a fantastic tale of morals, sisterly love and devotion set throughout world war two. When I found out the book was in the shadow of the war, I thought I would easily become bored and disinterested. However, the similies, description and the intensity of feeling are as real as if you were actually there. The storline is involved and thoroughly believeale. A heartfelt and honest book which I could not put down. Peter Robinson should be very proud of himself and YOU SHOULD DEFINITELY BUY IT!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent British detective story, 31 Jan 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: In A Dry Season (The Inspector Banks Series) (Paperback)
Robinson is a "new" author to me and I thoroughly enjoyed this murder mystery which reminded me of Barbara Vine/Ruth Rendell in its fidelity to character. Generally Robinson avoids plot contrivances. If I have a complaint it is with some of the single dimensional characters and although I like the two main protagonists Banks and Cabbot, and realise that they are destined to be attracted to each other (as the formula demands), it does happen a bit hastily. That said there are other interesting romantic tensions which keep the reader guessing almost as much as the murder enquiry which deals with a skeleton dating from 1944 whose identity they have to discover. The solution unfolds steadily from two angles (the present investigation and an old diary by one of the suspects) without any real shocks and, while there is a bit of a twist at the end, there is a predictable but satisfying denouement. The period detail is great, the procedural bits are convincing enough and there is some good dialogue. Enjoyable possibly because it is quite unmelodramatic and unlike the staple American stuff. If you like this I can recommend Barbara Vine's "Asta'a Book" or "River of Darkness" by Rennie Airth.

4.0 out of 5 stars they are getting better, 30 Mar 2010
A. Browne "avid reader" (Donegal Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In A Dry Season (The Inspector Banks Series) (Paperback)
The inspector banks novels are getting better . The prinicpal character gains more depth . New supporting characters are introduced. His marital situation deteriorates but does not get in theway of the plot. I loved the story the only reason this does not get five stars i guessed the killer. I hope this does not happen again. Looking forward to the next one

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing dry about this novel, 8 Aug 2009
Jane Baker "jan-bookcase" (Somerset) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: In A Dry Season (The Inspector Banks Series) (Paperback)
I had not heard of Peter Robinson or his Inspector Banks before I was introduced to him by someone in a bookshop. So this was my opening to what I hope will be a very rich seam of books and a new relationship with author and inspector. I was barely able to put this down. From the start I was rapt. There is so much in this book to admire - meaty characters, the grimness of war, family secrets and a touch of love. Banks is reluctantly separated from Sandra,having problems with his son, meets Annie, re-meets Jenny from the past and at the same time has an old murder on his hands and a battle of wills with his senior, the unloveable Riddles. I don't know the area of which Robinson writes but no matter. He brings it alive and takes the reader with him. There are many very descriptive scenes of the countryside and long moments of reflection from Banks. Enthralling. The story through the eyes of Vivien Emsley is sharp, focussed, very different and original. I aready have the next Banks mystery to read.

4.0 out of 5 stars 50 Year Old Murder Mystery, 23 Jun 2008
This review is from: In A Dry Season (The Inspector Banks Series) (Paperback)
This is my first Robinson mystery, and I really enjoyed it. Being an American, I was interested in all the details about the Dales and WWII in Britain. The mystery part of the story really held my interest, but Det. Banks's problems with his wife and son and his CD collection did not. But it is easy enough to skip over those parts. I'd certainly read another of his mysteries.

5.0 out of 5 stars A major writer, 23 Jan 2007
Julia Paul (King's Lynn, Norfolk United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In A Dry Season (The Inspector Banks Series) (Paperback)
Having read 7 or 8 of Robinson's Inspector banks series, all are well-written and have kept me gripped with interesting plots and finely delineated characters, both men and women. This one excels in the interweaving of past and present, both thoroughly convincing, and lingers afterwards with much food for thought.

5.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing storyline and a page turner, 6 Sep 2001
Brian Butterly "Varied Taste" (Dorking UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In A Dry Season (The Inspector Banks Series) (Paperback)
This was the first novel I have read by this author and I was delighted. The story gripped me from the outset as did the character of Inspector Banks. It is difficult to praise this too much without inadvertently giving away the plot - so if you like a complex, intriguing story - this is a great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Crime Fiction, 3 Jun 2007
J. Chippindale (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: In a Dry Season (Hardcover)
Peter Robinson grew up in Yorkshire, and is the author of thirteen previous novels featuring Inspector Banks. He is the winner of numerous awards in the United States, Britain and Canada, and in 2002 he won the CWA Dagger in the Library. As I also come from Leeds the background to his stories is something that I have experienced first hand and because of this I have a special affection for his books. However they would be first class crime fiction wherever they were based.

Many of the reservoirs dotted around Yorkshire and other parts of the country have strange things lurking beneath their surfaces. Woodland, old farm buildings and in the case of Thornfield reservoir a whole village was sacrificed in the name of progress and the populations `thirst' for water.

When a blistering summer causes a draught that sees the small village of Hobb's End resurface after more than forty years underwater, it becomes a magical place for one curious young boy, that is until he finds more than he bargained for, a human skeleton. Detective Chief Inspector Banks is given the difficult if not impossible task of identifying the victim . . .

In A Dry Season (The Inspector Banks Series)
In A Dry Season (The Inspector Banks Series) by Peter Robinson (Paperback - 24 Oct 2002)
Used & New from: £0.01