5.0 out of 5 stars Irresistable William, 12 Dec 2000
This review is from: Just William (Paperback)
For William fans, this is an absolute must. Ten volumes of William antics have kept me (and all the other members of my household) busy (with about 2 stories a night in bed) for months. For those of you who don't know William, he is irresistable to both children and adults alike.
Children will find his adventures give them wonderful ideas for new games and adventures of their own; they will also enjoy his creativity in his triumphs against the adult world, his school teachers, the local tattle-tale bratt, his schoolroom enemies, stuffy extended-family members, etc..
As for the adults - I very rarely find someone with such an accurate (and amused) eye for social comedy as this author. Everyone's real motives come out in these stories, in hilarious contrast to the image they are trying to portray.
I highly recommend this set!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superlative, great fun, keenly observed humour, 7 Dec 2001
This review is from: Just William (Paperback)
William is just - William! I can't understand how anyone can raise any objections to his 'destroying of property' and 'not getting his just desserts'! I have just one thing to say to you - GO READ POLLYANNA! Besides, William is basically decent and good and doubtless grew up to be a fine man (ok, I know it's fiction). Richmal Crompton is (was) a writer of pure genius, I am still enjoying William well into my thirties. Granted, he is a light read, that is all part of the charm.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully written, highly enjoyable stories..., 31 July 2002
Elizabeth Lee (BRENTFORD, MIDDLESEX United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Just William (Paperback)
I've loved William since I was a small child and still greatly enjoy his adventures. SO refreshing not to have morals of the "Disney" variety rammed down our throats!( Also,I was read Pollyanna when I was small and have since held a deep loathing for her and her kind which seem to proliferate in the children's books of CERTAIN countries which sort of share a language with us)
Richmal Crompton is a first rate writer and her descriptive vocabulary is second to none in children's literature. I suggest that it might prove a taxing read in some ways to many children today - as it goes a little beyond the range of the vocabulary used on Cartoon network and in the Harry Potter books.
It is possible that all the William books might be enjoyed more by adults feeling nostalgic- although Willaim's village is idealised it is not SO far from the England of not so long ago - woods, fields and little streams and the freedom to play outside ALL day long! I personally like the bits about dead animals in William's pockets- I spent many a happy hour playing with a dead mole as a child - part of life in the country !)
William is a dreadful child, and all the more entertaining for that! There is no-one else quite like William - and long may his adventures continue in print!
If you like morals - go to Pollyanna, A Little Princess or Little Lord Fauntleroy - nicer children you couldn't meet anywhere...now, excuse me whilst I am quietly sick...

5.0 out of 5 stars Excelent children literature, 23 April 2012
RAMON (Santander, SPAIN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Just William (Paperback)
I started reading William translated into Spanish when I was 8. My father was desperate to get me to read something and bought "William psichiatrist". I started reading it, doubtfully, laughed a lot, and couldn't stop loving literature. For me, a Roman catholic, they had some extra tips like priests who where married and attended village social meetings.

There are "children books" and then there is children literature. The first are books that just take children for granted and think they have no brains and that anything goes, including soft morals. Well, literature for children (Roahl Dahl, Richmal Crompton...) is literature written for children. Thus, it can be read at any age, because it is good and doesn't assume that young brains have retarded minds. This is the case of the William stories.

William is a "bad" boy by his parents'standards. According to the well situated high middle class between the wars, a child should be obedient, clean, respectful, corteous, attend dance classes, go to Sunday chool etc. William is a true child and a brave boy, with a lot of sentiment, passion and a complete lack of knowledge about how life works. He likes playing with his friends, imagining plots, rehearshing films... His innocence makes him a misfit in a world ruled by adult conventions and stringent social control.

Thus, William is a styre of the society he lives in: the new rich, the intelectual societies, suitable marriages, the "musts" in the social roles played by a well to do middle class family. He plays with kids (when London kids were considered more or less a savage tribe), he says what he consideres to be truth, he wants to be an adult in a world where adults don't want his earnest pursuits.

Other revieweres have pointed out that the concept of "bad" children has not changed with time. This could be so, but then this books were written when cynicism was not a voge. I enjoy the Simpsons a lot, but William plays in another leage. The Simpsons are cynic, desperate, bitter, sarcastic. William is good "deep down". At the end of the day, his own sins bring a punishment, that is never severe (more often than not he has a hot bath and goes to bed, or hides just in time). But not all social satire should be full of tears and sorrow.

So there you have a laugh, a hearty laugh and a sharp look at social mores.

5.0 out of 5 stars William Boxed set, 7 Mar 2011
This review is from: Just William (Paperback)
I love the character of William, the perpetual 11 yr.old hell-raising, albeit well-meaning boy with a basic good heart. I was first introduced to William and his gang of outlaws by my husband, another fan. We felt that my grandmother would really enjoy this boxed set - it being her time period, the 20's, so we shipped it to her. She absolutely adored this lovable character. In fact, whenever she needs to have a laugh and put down more serious reading material, she picks up William. She even imagines what William might do in certain day-to-day situations she comes across. A good read for grandparents and grandchildren alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just William Boxed Set, 12 Jan 2011
This review is from: Just William (Paperback)
I used to be a fan of William books when I was a child, so when I saw this boxed set online I couldn't resist buying the set for my daughter. It was easy to order online, and the books arrived on time and in perfect condition. Definitely a great buy....and since my daughter is too young to read the books yet (she's 9 months)....I'm having fun reading all the books and falling in love with William all over again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just William boxed set, 30 Nov 2010
This review is from: Just William (Paperback)
I have just purchased this boxed set of Just William books, bought as a present for my 8 year old grandson. Talk about a trip back in time! Absolutely brilliant, reliving all my emotions from all those years ago. I can't believe it possible to have some much pleasure second time round, particularly after an interval of some 60 years!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgia at its best., 6 Mar 2009
JRL Smith "Les Smith" (Leiester UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Just William (Paperback)
I can't claim to have been alive when the `William` books were set, but I was a smal boy in a Leicestershire village in the 1950's and spent most of my time out in he fields with my pals. In my bedroom at home my parents had provided me with a bookcase of - rather elderly - books. I avoided one of them like the plague - it was entitled `William the Conqueror` - and I thought it was stuffy historical tome. When I eventually got round to looking at it more closely I found it was a magical book that transported me into another world - not so much different to my own. From then I was `William Brown` fanatic. I read all the stories - and tried to act out some of Williams antics - I failed usually.
So when I saw this 10 book boxed set I bought it in eager anticipation to re-live my childhood. I work shifts so there is an opportunity for me to do a bit of reading around 3am. I took the first book - Just William - to work, read three quarters of it, and left it in the locker room to continue my read the next night. Someone nicked it!!
I'm not sure whether to be annoyed because my 10 book set is now a 9 book set, or to be pleased that I have created another fan of my childhood hero. I know that whoever took it liked it - they haven't returned it. Fortunately I have 9 other books of `William` to read - and if they are as brilliant as the part of volume 1 I managed to read I won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars WILLIAM TRIUMPHANT!, 8 Dec 2007
M. Drake - See all my reviews
This review is from: Just William (Paperback)
This boxed set gives you a chance to wallow in nostalga and the freedom once enjoyed by children to wander off and safely have adventures; or introduce your children or grandchildren to the wonders of William and the outlaws and the unmitigated horror of Violet Elzabeth Bott. These wonderful books contain some of the most perfectly written and plotted comic writing you will ever have have the pleasure of reading - Enjoy!

Mick Drake author of the comic novel All`s Well at Wellwithoute

5.0 out of 5 stars William's great, don't listen to them, 8 Aug 2001
This review is from: Just William (Paperback)
If you feel the need to get self-righteous about William's never getting his just deserts, you're missing the point completely. Two reasons: one is that William is and presumably always has been a fantasy of freedom, even if he appears to be hemmed in by his family, school, all the things that he dislikes so much... The other reason is that for many of us, the just deserts are much more frightening in the anticipation. William does get into trouble, but a lot of his time is spent agonisingly trying to devise ways to counteract or postpone the trouble he's sensibly expecting to get into for something he's already done. He isn't to be taken as a serious role model, I'm afraid, or not in his entirety, and no sensible person would judge him as such...

ARRAY(0xac3658b8)

Just William
Just William by Richmal Crompton (Paperback - 1 Oct 1999)
Used & New from: 20.26