5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive Bio of Fayed and his Business
This was a really comprehensive biography of the life of Fayed. The book takes you through his lowly Egyptian origin-- his poor family, and first job selling Coca-Cola on the street--through his first successes, and his first marriage. Then the book shows the reader how he completely “remade” his public image, his family, and ancestors!
Most of the book...
Published on 5 Oct 2003 by Imperial Topaz

1.0 out of 5 stars Bower appears to be an unabashed racist
Published on 29 Aug 2010 by smilinglibrarian

5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive Bio of Fayed and his Business, 5 Oct 2003
Imperial Topaz (Marrakesh, Morocco) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fayed: The Unauthorized Biography (Paperback)
Most of the book is slower reading because it details all of his business dealings extensively. But that is really what Fayed’s life is all about—BUSINESS. I did not enjoy this book as much as Bower’s other books, such as the one he did on Princess Diana, but that is because of the type of life Fayed led, not because Bower’s writing is not as good. I just want readers to know that this book is NOT read easily, or quickly. But it will answer ALL questions about Fayed, who he is, his life, his brothers, his business associates—friends and enemies--his business dealings, personal dealings, AND what caused all the hoopla about the British Secret Service assassinating Dodi and Diana. Part of it was the “Arab psyche,” and part of it was Fayed’s effort to take any focus off the driver’s inebriated condition.
This book answered ALL of my questions about Fayed, and I am glad I purchased the book. If you are interested in Fayed, by all means, buy this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Confirmation of Suspicions, 15 Dec 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Fayed: The Unauthorized Biography (Paperback)
The rise to fame, wealth and power of Mohammed Al Fayed has been intriguing to many people
In his unauthorised biograpy Tom Bowyer suceeds in unpeeling some of the wrapping surrounding Mohammed Al Fayed and his origins.
Utilisng information from disgruntled former employees, friends of Tiny Rowland and his own knowledge of Fayed before the relationship with him went sour,Bowyer has created a book that you can pick up and put down but you know that you have to finish.
For anyone with a love of business and curiosity of how maverick individuals get to the top and what they do when they get there this book is a "must read"

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect biography, 26 Aug 2009
Kelkoozee (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fayed: The Unauthorized Biography (Paperback)
I was worried when it arrived because it was much longer than I thought it would be but then it turned out to be very thorough while still very readable. I like Tom Boyer's easy style and read his Branson and Diana books too. I think Fayed is one of the best biographies I have ever read (and I have read LOTS!). It reveals a lot about Al Fayed (or Fayed) and includes both his family life and public/business life. I had no idea Fayed started life from a poor family in Egypt. A lot of the business analysis was wasted on me but would interest others. The story of how he got Harrods is of course the most interesting bit. Other parts could have maybe been a bit shorter but I'll give it 5 stars as I really enjoyed it overall.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleased with my purchase, 2 Sep 2010
This review is from: Fayed: The Unauthorized Biography (Paperback)
I have just signed for and collected the book, Fayed: The Unauthorised Biography", from my local NZ Post shop where it was delivered by the courier service. It arrived well packaged and still in new condition.

Thank you very much for the second copy you shipped after the first failed to arrive. If the first copy arrives in due course, I will gratefully return it to you. Your service has been excellent for all things in your control. I will not hesitate on that count to use the Amazon/Swestbooks service again in the future if I'm in need.

After the currency exchange and credit card charges, I am still happy with the cost of obtaining the book because it is a special birthday present otherwise unobtainable in it's new state here in NZ.

The book itself is probably not as detailed as my friend would like since he used to be pilot for Fayed, but it is likely to fill in lots he did not otherwise learn. I have started to read it and find it quite readable in a "gossipy" sort of way. I'd recommend it for anyone who wises to learn more about Mohammed Fayed - there are few other sources available other than media items.

Thanks

1.0 out of 5 stars Bower appears to be an unabashed racist, 29 Aug 2010
This review is from: Fayed: The Unauthorized Biography (Paperback)
This book is written through the lens of a man stilled trapped in 'The British Empire", even though that empire is just history now. Al Fayed might be a crook, but that classism and racism perpetually weaved through this book made me sick. Crooks come from all walks of life. In Bower's nasty tone of voice throughout the book - I actually ended up sympathising with Al Fayed instead of being able to judge him subjectively.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disgusting, 30 May 2013
This review is from: Fayed: The Unauthorized Biography (Paperback)
The pages are all brown and looks as if it cameoutof a smokers house. Badly packed and the pages were bent over

Fayed: The Unauthorized Biography
Fayed: The Unauthorized Biography by Tom Bower (Paperback - 23 Nov 2001)
Used & New from: £0.01