on 6 July 1999
The book focuses on early fights of Muhammed Ali in very great detail. However, along with that you get a history of boxing in America from beginning of 1900s to 1960s. The surrounding atmosphere of the boxing world is mostly an unknown to people. This book puts it into right perspective. It is an enjoyable book to read, I recommend it.
on 2 March 1999
The cover caught my eye! I got the book for my father who, for as long as I can remember has been an Ali fan. Once I started reading I couldn't put it down. There is so much more to the man than just the talking. Although I'm too young to have seen the beginining. By reading this book I felt like I was there.
on 5 December 1998
By focusing on the Ali-Liston battles, "King of the World" paints vivid and unforgettable portraits of not only Ali, but Liston and Patterson. This is a fun read, and the most memorable book on Boxing since Thomas Hauser's book on the same topic.
on 8 June 2016
Great book. Gives an amazing insight into both Liston fights, and provides brilliant background context about both Sonny Liston, Floyd Patterson and the state of boxing itself preceding the emergence of Ali in the early 1960s.
on 27 June 2016
An absolute classic. Really sets the scene on the boxing world into which The Greatest emerged. Even more now that Muhammad Ali has passed, this book demonstrates what a unique individual he was. A fascinating read.
on 27 April 2001
What more could be written about this man? everyone thinks they must know all bout Ali but after finishing this book in record time I now appreciate Muhammad Ali even more so. We are led through the different ages of boxing from the mob-controlled years through to the age where boxers took more control of their own purse and destiny. The similarities between him and Jack Johnson. Liston's life being mirrored in Tyson's. His battle with the draft board against being sent to Vietnam at a time when the voice of The People was being heard for the first time.
A magnificent piece of work that puts into the shade all of the other biogs I have ever read.
on 20 March 1999
The colorful chartacters of the 1960s boxing world come to life in this very entertaining and insightful work. A must for non-boxing fans too!
on 18 December 2014
How can you give this book less than 5 stars. This book is more than an outstandingly well researched, greatly literate biography of a legendary sportsman. It is just as much an account of an era within which his life took place, because only in this context can you see the full picture and claim to understand this persona. And damn did the author paint that picture well. It is a great book, period.
on 17 February 2014
This was bought very cheaply, so I didn't expect a brand new book, but it was good value for the price I paid.
on 25 February 2015
Epic book on the history of boxing, sports journalism, and racism in the US