5.0 out of 5 stars Shaun does it again!
Yup, he's managed to make me pretty much read a book from cover to cover in one sitting (not quite, but damned near). Pretty different to his previous works this one, but still with the same style. I really did want to jump into the book and throttle the kids.
Published on 2 Sep 2001 by TheRealMacgyver

2.0 out of 5 stars Compulsion
I love Shaun's books and I've read them all, this one however I felt a bit disturbed by and only a quarter of the way though the book and had to put it down, sorry Shaun I know it was a bit different to what you usualy write about but I couldn't read this book due to the level of violence.
Published on 18 Dec 2005 by eileen molloy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Shaun does it again!, 2 Sep 2001
TheRealMacgyver (Highlands, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Compulsion (Hb) (Hardcover)
A word of warning though. I've always been able to read his books without a problem, but don't eat anything while you read this one. You'll choke a couple of times. There's some pretty good twisty bits, and it's as dramatic as hell. Shaun Hutson will never win a Pulitzer, but his books are good eye candy. My eyes now have to get a filling. enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Overdose on the macabre feel-good factor., 17 Aug 2001
Nick Parker (Wednesbury, West Midlands United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Compulsion (Hb) (Hardcover)
After picking up Compulsion on the 14th of August, I was a little sceptical on what to expect as I wasn't too impressed with Exit Wounds (Shauns previous novel), sorry Shaun!
Compulsion is about teenage crime. It follows a group of young adults in their bid to make everyone's life around them a complete and utter misery. This includes violence, vandalism and harassment.
As everyone knows, in real life, the police do absolutely nothing to stop these situations, other than perhaps slap their hands, or send them to the Bahamas for "rehab".
Imagine yourself being terrorised by a group of youngsters until you reach breaking point, they hurt people you love and they damage your property. The police cannot and will not do anything to help and still their harassment continues. Then, one day, you catch the culprits. What would you do? How would your anger manifest itself?
Everyone loves to see scum get they're comeuppance. Compulsion gives you the opportunity to experience the primitive, sweet human emotion of revenge.
Shaun's style of writing is as usual very fast moving. I love the short action packed chapters. The characters are well defined and the scenario is different to any other I've read before.
The moral of this story: respect your elders.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read especially if you are a Shaun Hutson fan., 14 Aug 2001
This review is from: Compulsion (Hb) (Hardcover)
This book is extremely hard to put down once you start reading because the story captivates you from the first chapter. Hutson describes some of the gory parts to great detail which makes it a bit squeamish in places but still a good read. I can recommend this book to anyone who has a taste for horror or thriller because Compulsion contains both. Another excellent title from an interesting author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Compulsively great, 6 Sep 2005
This review is from: Compulsion (Paperback)
Compulsion was the first (and at the time of writing the only) Shaun Hutson book I've read. What more can I say than it won't be the last!
Square up the sides, the youth of today - that corrupted bunch of thieves and thugs intent of causing misery as if it were a joyous game - against the residence of an 'old peoples home' - those stalwart folks that lived through the last great war, and in the case of one of the residents suffered immensely in the terrors of that conflict.
It is really that definition of the old people that sets the tone of this book. Having seen what they have seen would they put up with the terrorising youth who believe that they need to teach these old folks some respect. Well the answer is no, and so the battle is waged and the results are horrifying and may make you come out thinking that there really wasn't a side in this conflict that was worth taking. Yet it is likely find yourself sympathising with the old folks, I now I did.
Compulsion is a great book. It is dark and dreadful and yet disturbingly accurate in the portrayal of the corruption of youth. Any of us who have spent time living on a counsel estate in the UK in recent years would find those children disturbingly familiar and the attitude of the police ('sorry we can do nothing') extremely accurate.
Now let the blood flow and let the battle commence and draw us all towards the final solution. A great piece of work that I read in a single day-long sitting. I really couldn't put it down. I predict I'm going to be seeing a lot of Shaun Hutson's work in the future.
I couldn't recommend it more.

4.0 out of 5 stars Chillingly close to real life possibilities., 24 Mar 2002
This review is from: Compulsion (Hb) (Hardcover)
Tension mounts when a small gang of teenagers, out of parental control and playing truant from school, target the residents of an old people's home. At first they have the upper hand, terrorising the occupants and supervisor. However, they hadn't reckoned on one of the residents having good reason to fight imposed imprisonment by them, and his ability to rally his friend's support. The tables begin to turn, leaving the supervisor in the middle of some very nasty deeds. A very dark look at teens on the edge of society, well written and giving pause for thought. How would you retaliate in the same situation?

4.0 out of 5 stars Very gripping-but be warned!, 10 April 2002
This review is from: Compulsion (Hb) (Hardcover)
Being a great fan of Shaun's novels I couldn't wait to get to grips with his latest offering(may I just point out that is was up to the old standard of bloody scary!!!that the last couple didn't quite manage in my opinion) -BUT -and there's always a "but" isn't there- I was quite disturbed about the awful incidences concerning animal cruelty.I've noticed that in most of Shaun's novels that there is usually an animal or two that cops it but this time I found the graphic details(one whole chapter describing torturing and eventually killing a young cat) very upsetting and not really necessary.Yes ,I am aware that it is just fiction -but these days I have more respect for animals than I do of people and in my opinion I think it went a bit too far. Otherwise,a fantastic book and I can't wait for the next one- I'll have to get my husband to vet it for me first though!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Simply Gripping, 30 Sep 2005
This review is from: Compulsion (Paperback)
After reading an article recently about how a remarkably high percentage of adults dont read, i felt horrified as i was one of those people, i asked a friend to recommend something for me and so i was given Compulsion. After many years of not reading i have become a book worm because of this book i read it from front to back in the day, i was so gripped i was unable to put it down, i have now orderd copies for friend's, who i know also dont really read, all i can say is that this book has helped me find my literacy feet again, many thanks to Shaun Hutson.

5.0 out of 5 stars Complusion...to continue reading, 12 Sep 2008
marky77 (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Compulsion (Paperback)
This is the first book by Shaun Huston that I have read - and it deffinatly won't be the last!

Very exciting and fast-paced, I was hooked from the start and found it very difficult to stop reading once I had picked it up and ended up reading the whole book in one day. Lots of suspenceful moments and cliffhangers at the end of chapters make you want to continue reading to find out how things turn out.

The plot is that a gang of teenagers - mostly chavs aged around 14 - decide to target an old peoples home. At first it starts with spraypainting the walls outside and sending threatening notes but throughout the book the violence escaltes untill the residents of the home are forced to take dramatic action.
The view-point changes in chapters between that of the youths and of elderly.

Very good horror novel which I really enjoyed and would deffinatly reccomend. Will now be looking out to buy other Shaun Hutson novels.

4.0 out of 5 stars Youths vs The Elderly, 26 Sep 2003
This review is from: Compulsion (Paperback)
Once again, Shaun Hutson has not failed to impress and amaze. The characters in Compulsion are believable to the point of perfection. The desipicably badly behaved teenagers to the focused supervisor, each character's personality is outlined with impeccable quality. Yet, as is Shaun Hutson's trait, each has a small part of Hutson inside them, for instance the teenagers being strongly anti-Manchester United.
The story is set on a back drop both on the life of the youths as well as the life of the elderly, as these two social groups horrifically come to conflict.
The four star rating is due instead of five stars, only because it seemed to me that the elderly folk move to sadism too quickly, I wasn't satisfied that they had been tormented enough to warrent such actions, which you will read about should you decide to buy the book
Despite this, it comes highly reccommended. Buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, as always., 3 Sep 2003
Isen (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Compulsion (Paperback)
How do you deal with nuisance youths, well, I agree with the pensioners of shelby house.
This book was an immediate draw, youths against the old folks....let battle commence.
As nuisance youths wage a hate war against a pensioners home, the police decide there's probably nothing they can do about it because the youths are probably all under 14. An everyday occurance in this world we live in, a very true curse on the society we now live in, is it any wonder the pensioners at the home fight back with as much if not more hate, anger and guile ?
A must for any Hutson fan. It even made me cringe, you'll see..

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Compulsion
Compulsion by Shaun Hutson (Paperback - 9 Aug 2002)
Used & New from: £0.01