5.0 out of 5 stars Birmingham Friends
This book is fantastic. I haven't read for ages but this one took my eye due to the name of it. I discovered that I actually knew some of the road names in the book, but then got wrapped up in the story and the characters too. The author is really good, very descriptive and gets you thinking.
Published on 11 Feb 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars book
not what I expected ,thought it would have been more about Birmingham it was a good book to read ,would recommend
Published 9 months ago by macphee

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Birmingham Friends, 11 Feb 2004
By A Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a light read...but worth reading, 3 July 2010
This review is from: Birmingham Friends (Paperback)
I feel somewhat emotionally drained after reading this book...certainly if you're expecting a nostalgic or rose tinted journey into the past this is not what you will find here. In a way it has opened my eyes to the fact that there was all the same pain, unpleasantness and strong feelings that we have now, in the 1920s 30s and 40s, just everything had to be more 'brushed under the carpet' (although I understand this is fiction, the author does mention the amount of research she has done, to try and make her novels seem realistic to the period and to Birmingham of the time, you certainly can't fault her on this.)

In some ways I felt the scope of this book was a little too great, with such a passage of time and characters, and huge change. However the openness of and honesty with which the characters Kate (and to some extent Olivia)'s feelings are documented is really moving. I really did feel a connection with Kate although feeling some sense of hopelessness at the many trials of her life. I also thought it was an interesting idea having the book cut back and forwards between Kate and Olivia in the 20s/30s/40s and Kate's daughter in the 1980's, and how the past ends up tumbling into the present.

The last thing this book is is clearcut, and I found it difficult to think what message I have come away from the book with, but you will certainly think about it after you finish turning the pages. I think thats a sign that it has been a good read.

4.0 out of 5 stars True friendship, 12 May 2009
Ruth Hamilton "book junkie" (Guildford, Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Birmingham Friends (Paperback)
Kate & Olivia's friendship was due mainly to Kate's uncompromising and genuine love for Olivia although she knew Olivia did not return wholly the same feelings, but she continued to care for her whatever Olivia did. Olivia needed Kate - Kate loved Olivia - and Annie Murray wrote so movingly of the depths of hurt and betrayal Kate endured when Olivia finally took too much advantage of her kind and loving nature. Annie Murray made these characters leap from the page and when she wrote of the pain and loss Kate felt (I won't reveal this part of the story), I was reduced to tears - a lovely, honest book that talks revealingly of the different relationships women can have with other women - non-sexual - and about their true feelings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 29 Jun 2014
good

5.0 out of 5 stars Great holiday read, 24 May 2014
Very good story a page turner loved its twists and turns and all the Birmingham references and places that were mentioned .

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful just like all her other books, 6 April 2014
Annie Murray is a brilliant writer. I love all of her books and this one is no different. It is both historical and interesting, she obviously knows her subject well. Can recommend this to anyone whether you are from Birmingham or not.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good read., 12 Mar 2014
I loved this book,it brought back a lot of my childhood memories, as i was born in Birmingham. thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like Annie Murray book go for it, 8 Jan 2014
Mrs. D. J. Hayden "June42" (Leeds, Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I just love Annie Murray books and have read most of them already and find them hard to put down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Memories of Birmingham as it was., 3 Jan 2014
Annie Murray continues to delight, for me it is the Birmingham connection. I left Birmingham over 50 years ago and Ms Murray through her writings, brings back many memories of Birmingham as it was then, when neighbours knew each other, and we lived near our families. I think I have read all her Birmingham books and will be re reading them all in future. As I worked on the Birmingham Mail back in the 50's as a copy girl this particular book had a sort of special connection.

4.0 out of 5 stars Birmingham friends, 8 Dec 2013
Enjoyed this book quite a lot, found it a bit confusing at times but captured the war years and after. Olivia time at Arden was very harrowing but typical of how patients were treated then.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Birmingham Friends
Birmingham Friends by Annie Murray (Paperback - 7 May 2010)
6.61