5.0 out of 5 stars Pullman pulls it off again

2.0 out of 5 stars Definitely not a "children's" book
Published 12 months ago by HPearce

5.0 out of 5 stars Pullman pulls it off again, 5 July 2005
This review is from: The Butterfly Tattoo (Paperback)
This is a re-issue of an early Pullman novel, previously titled The White Mercedes. I hadn't read previously read it, but I saw the reviews for this and decided to check it out as a possible class text with EFL students. It has the Pullman trademark prose voice, a very matter of fact style, but layered with imagery and pulling no punches. It is a neatly devised plot and a moving story, but as a previous reviewer has noted, it is not a children's book. Teenagers of 14-18 will enjoy it, but younger readers need to be aware that it is quite an adult book. The book is cool, chilling and speedy to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Brilliant!, 19 Dec. 2003
This review is from: The Butterfly Tattoo (Paperback)
When I read this book I thought it was brilliant. Philip Pullman is a spectacular storyteller and in my opinion this is one of his best. Did you know that this was one of his first books published? Whenever I mention it to my friends they say they have never heard of it and many people haven't as it is no way near as famous at 'His Dark Materials Trilogy, but just as good. Yes, the ending may be slightly predictable but that should not put you off reading it, it is compelling and beautiful. One of my favourite books of all time.

4.0 out of 5 stars intelligent, innocent and ironic, 30 Dec. 2005
This review is from: The Butterfly Tattoo (Paperback)
Another unputdownable and evocative read in my ever-expanding collection of Phillip Pullman books. He fails to disappoint yet again.
The opening line leaves you in no doubt that this is another emotional page-turner set in one of Phillip Pullman’s many beautiful Oxfords’.
The Butterfly Tattoo, set in modern Oxford, tackles difficult issues through a story of love and innocence. The storyline is a little predictable but it allows you to focus on the key points being explored through the main characters, modern issues such as divorce, abuse and mistrust.
It’s not fighting for the top spot in my book collection but it definitely is a must read for Pullman fans.

4.0 out of 5 stars good book - visibly one of his earlies, 16 Nov. 2005
Tivadar Mach "mivadar" (Bremen, Germany) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Butterfly Tattoo (Paperback)
I don't understand what anyone's problem is with this not being a children's book - Pullmann is a great writer, and I believe he writes what comes to him, whatever the audience. I hate labelling authors as "children" or "adult", and I don't recall big red letters on the cover saying "for under 10 only".
In any case, the book is good, not a lasting masterwork of fiction, for that the end is somewhat unpolished - but I should note that that is only in comparison with his brilliant later work. It is definitely worth reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a children's book, 28 July 2003
This review is from: The Butterfly Tattoo (Paperback)
Having been thrilled by the Dark Materials Trilogy, I thought I would introduce my daughter (aged 9 and an avid reader) to Philip Pullman, as he is essentailly a children's author. I read the book first to check it was suitable for her and would most certainly classify this as an adult novel. Whilst it is a brilliantly written and is a clever story (albeit with a slightly predictable ending) I would not allow a child to read it. It has a bit of mild teenage sex and the overall tone it is too dark for children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brillint book, you really should read this!!!, 29 May 2001
This review is from: The Butterfly Tattoo (Paperback)
I loved every page of this book, i read it before i read his dark materials and i was transfixed by yet another of philip pullmans complex plots. However, i did find the plot slightly predictable, but it was still really really good. This book was originally called the white mercedes so you might have read it already.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Pullman in Another Oxford but Really Worth Reading, 19 May 2008
Ford Ka (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Butterfly Tattoo (Paperback)
Fans of Pullman's trilogy should receive a fair warning before moving any further. This is not Lyra's Oxford, this is our Oxford so expect thugs, sex, crime but also love, trust and friendship.
Pullman retells the story of Romeo and Juliet with extreme adroitness. He manages to keep the lyrical beauty and truth of the play and avoids desperate attempts of retaining any elements that would seem dated and out of place in a modern novel.
This is a novel for younger adults but if you feel that your 13+ year olds have never heard about sex, you may need to read it first yourself. The danger is you may get hooked on Pullman seriously.

2.0 out of 5 stars Definitely not a "children's" book, 9 May 2014
This review is from: The Butterfly Tattoo (Paperback)
My daughter is 10 and is an avid reader. I borrowed this book from the library as I have read The Dark Trilogy and think Pullman is an excellent writer. She read The Butterfly Tattoo in just over a day and returned it to me with the comment: "I didn't like this at all, I think it's going to haunt me." I thought I would do a quick skim read to see what she was referring to and was shocked to find so many dark themes: child sex abuse, IRA terrorism, murder, attempt rape ... I am angry that this book was displayed in the same area as the picture books in the library. This is definitely a book which should be read by 14+

4.0 out of 5 stars The most miserable book I've ever read, 23 Oct. 2000
This review is from: The Butterfly Tattoo (Paperback)
The Butterfly Tattoo is just the most tragic, frustrating, HEARTbreaking book I have ever read. I was crying my eyes out for Jenny at the end. Even so, it's really well-written if not a bit slow at times. I'd reccomend it to anyone who likes being seriously depressed.

2.0 out of 5 stars Quite average 'coming-of-age' tale for teenagers, 19 May 2006
This review is from: The Butterfly Tattoo (Paperback)
Like so many, I was enthralled by Pullman's work in the 'His Dark Materials' trilogy (gosh, even though I can't bear that collective title) - this is the only other of his novels I have read that didn't come under the banner of the Lyra/William saga (there was also a spin-off called 'Lyra's Oxford' which I remember enjoying). I haven't read him since, mostly because I didn't want to be further put off by his writing - and so, I thought it would be good to have a less complimentary review on this page to balance it out.

The book is a basic teenage/'young adult' first-love (or lust?) story, although having said that, I haven't read anything else aimed at this market. I borrowed this short novel from a library, and was suitably glad that I didn't buy it; while being a decent enough read, it is mostly cold - even the vaguely romantic scenes are delivered emotionlessly. I remember (it was a while ago) the feeling that Pullman was rattling through the plot, avoiding detail or description, which wasn't a favourable approach for a story of this kind. Also, the 'intriguing' plotting towards the end (after the relationship portion) was quite bland - not that the events themselves were uninteresting, more so that the writing engendered little suspense.

I think this was Pullman's first novel - forgive me if I am incorrect - and therefore I imagine he was still finding his feet in fiction before his truly extraordinary work, like 'His Dark Materials'. If you are interested in Pullman, after his magnum opus, you could try this novel for something a little different - but I wouldn't recommend purchasing it. See if they have it in your library, or don't bother.

The Butterfly Tattoo
The Butterfly Tattoo by Philip Pullman (Paperback - 8 May 1998)
Used & New from: £0.01