5.0 out of 5 stars better than the first!
I normally don't read sequels as when there's a happy ending in the first book I prefer to just leave it there than picking up the second part but I'd heard so much about this book that in the end I had to read it out of curiosity.
Published on 23 Aug. 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars A Typical Sequal
I have read through all of the reviews before mine and agree entirely with each of them.
Yes this book is good - better than alot of other books out there. Once you have finished it however, it is only natural to compare it with the Diary - which being the original is fantastic.
Published on 26 April 2001 by gemma_203@hotmail.com

5.0 out of 5 stars better than the first!, 23 Aug. 2001
By A Customer
Though many of the people I had spoken to about this book thought that it wasn't as good as the original I totally disagree. I love this book even more than the diary!!
I just had to find out what happened between Bridget and Mark Darcy. The only disappointment was that Bridget's best friend Tom doesn't seem to appear as much as I'd liked.
I loved the way that Mark Darcy is based not only on Colin Firth but characters he has played in the past, not only Mr Darcy but Paul Ashworth in Fever Pitch. This was great as it gave Mark Darcy more character and wasn't just a copy of Jane Austen's Darcy.
I laughed more and I cried during the Persuasion chapter and cared more for Bridget than I did in the first book.
But I must thank Helen Fielding because she has introduced me to Jane Austen who I'd never considered reading before. I'm very grateful thank you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bridget's girlfriends take the cake, 25 Dec. 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Bridget Jones : The Edge of Reason (Hardcover)
I had just arrived in London to visit my parents and was browsing through a WHSmith when I discovered a huge display of "The Edge of Reason". Because I live in America 99.9% of the year, I wasn't up on my Bridget Jones news to know that there was a sequel. Helen Fielding proved a good sequel does exist. I loved Bridget all over again and this time, I especially loved her girlfriends. Especially the male-bashing but secretely male-needy Shaz. (Doesn't everyone have a friend like her?!) I loved all the great references to possitive self-talk borrowed from a cheaper form of therapy known as "self-help books". I must admit that I was standing in the middle of the great dining hall of Harrod's reading Bridget's brilliant journalistic debut interview and laughing outloud. "The Edge of Reason" will take you from plot to plot laughing and amazed. Bridget has one wild year ahead and this is one wildly funny book. If you loved the first book, you will love the sequel. Thank you BJ for giving women a new voice of insanity!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bridget's triumphant return puts all imitations in the shade, 29 Nov. 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Bridget Jones : The Edge of Reason (Hardcover)
An immensely engaging, entertaining book, this is by turns hilariously funny (the interview with Colin Firth is a particular delight) and, surprisingly, deeply affecting - striking straight to the heart of the 30-something and of modern society.
The Austen parody is even more successful than in the first "Diary", by virtue of its subtlety - it is breathtakingly clever, but also pleasingly irreverent, and written with the same sense of communicated enjoyment as Austen's own work.
Fielding has it all in this novel: vivid characters (a new set of friends for everyone who encounters the book!), a superb evocation of late 20th century life, deft, clever, unpretentious and quite uproarious humour, and a light touch in creating an effortless classic which remains in the mind much longer than the average relationship of the protagonists!
Definitely the book to cheer up a dull British November... or, one would imagine, a stint in a Thai prison...

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the first one, 14 Dec. 2003
I really enjoyed reading this book, although it was not as good as the first one. I did laugh as much reading this book as I did when read first one, but last book was not near as frustrating as this one. half the time I held my breath in nervousity and frustration over Brigdet's unreasonable behavior, half the time had to force myself not to shout to the book to stop being such a silly cow.

Since my native tongue is not English I had some difficulties with the British slang, and the many adjectives, but once I really got in to the book, that was not a real problem.
If yoy are not already addicted to Bridget Jones, you will be after have read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sequels are never as good as the first.... are they?, 15 Jan. 2004
After reading the first “diary”, I was compelled to read this sequel and see if it lived up to my expectations… and it did more than that!
This book is the most enjoyable piece of writing to read for anyone, especially “Singletons” who know exactly what Bridget is going through. The book picks up from where we left Bridget and Mark, in their newly found romance, however this is Bridget Jones’s life and nothing ever goes to plan. Especially when the man of her dreams becomes all too real… and doesn’t know how to clean up! With a wedding on the way, problems with the family and her friends, Bridget escapes to Thailand only to be greeted with yet more situations that Helen Fielding creates.
From her parents to her friends; work to love, even her sacred self-help books all come under fire in this enthralling novel. Bridget Jones is an amazing character and the first film doesn’t do Helen Fielding’s work any justice, I only hope the second one can live up to an amazing piece of work!

5.0 out of 5 stars wow, 3 Jun. 2003
I feel a little behind the times having only just read both of the bridget jones books but it's better late than never. I managed to read Edge of Reason cover to cover in just over 24 hours (and somehow managed to fit in going to work as well)Un putdowanble. Theres a little bit of Bridget in all of us, forget self help books, Bridget Jones' Diary has everything they have, making us realise we are not on our own in our insecurities, but also has great entertainment value. Well worth a read.

4.0 out of 5 stars definitely laugh-out-loud moments, 3 July 2010
After finishing Bridget Jones's Diary for the second time, I turned my attention to Bridge Jones: The Edge of Reason, by Helen Fielding, which I'd never read before. I have to say that with both books, there were definitely laugh-out-loud moments, although there were more with Edge of Reason than Diary.

I'm embarrassed to admit it took me at least to the middle of the book to realize that this book was a take-off of Persuasion. And once again, I admire Ms. Fielding's facility in translating a classic to the modern age. Before I picked up this book, I wondered, idly, "Pride and Prejudice ended with a marriage. What on earth is Helen Fielding going to do in her sequal?" I assumed it would be one more of those books written by Jane Austen devotees who cannot stand not knowing what happens next, where Elizabeth and Darcy, happily married, turn detective, or where Elizabeth, happily married, works on getting Georgiana married off. Turning to Persuasion for inspiration was felicitous.

In Persuasion, Anne Elliott and Captain Wentworth loved each other in their youth (fully ten years ago), but were driven apart by the machinations and bad advice of Anne's family. At the end of the book, happily, they have reconciled and their love is as strong as ever. In Edge of Reason, Bridget and Mark have been together for a full four weeks before they are driven apart by a series of misunderstandings, the machinations of vicious Rebecca (an exceedingly well-drawn character), and the bad advice (at least, in Mark's opinion) that Bridget has gleaned from the self-help books that comprise her library. Well done, Ms. Fielding -- I think that's a wonderful way to begin a sequal and also an inspired retelling of a classic.

This book was great fun and brought me great joy reading it. I think Ms. Fielding's satirical pen has sharpened somewhat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Give me more Bridget Jones please!!, 11 April 2002
By A Customer
The sequel to any great book always suffers from the fact that it's not that brand new fantastic discovery, but I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed 'Edge of Reason'. Her interview with the actor Colin Firth was pure inspiration and left me helpless with laughter. If you loved Bridget Jones' Diary you'll really enjoy this but remember to set it in context...it's not the first time you've met her so it'll never be again like that first glimpse across a crowded room! It is nevertheless a joy to spend a few more months with Bridget. Hugely Funny.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE singleton of the 21st Century, 11 Jan. 2002
By A Customer
Great book. it is equally as good as the first one, with adventures in thailand, holes in walls, a wedding, a better boyfriend than in the first book, and some drug smuggling. If there is a movie of this book, i hope the film does it justice!

3.0 out of 5 stars A Typical Sequal, 26 April 2001
I think alot of people feel very defensive about the Diary and whatever was to come along second would have been criticised for not being consistant or original.
This second book is different. Yes maybe not quite as well constructed as the diary in alot of ways. Also though at the same time this book has its own qualities which perhaps the diary doesnt.
I agree the Thailand story was a little abstract but at the same time I think that we needed to have some action other than in and around london and idylic little english villages. Bridgets time in jail alone allowed for a little more insight for both Bridget and the reader. Perhaps this scenario has not been appreciated by readers simply for the reason it is difficult tyo relate to. Unlike scenarios in the diary which are common to most females.
I think Fielding may have been somewhat pressured to complete this book.However, to quote Fielding ' I work well with deadlines' what does this say? I think the fact - the book is not so instantly accessible to a female reader, as diary makes it more demanding for the audience. Fielding has presumed the reader is not too lazy to imagine and to make believe, perhaps this is where she failed? Any sequal in any area of media will always be criticised, peoples opinions will always differ - and I think if you decide to pick up this book - make sure you have no preconceptions - make a decision for yurself.
I personally enjoyed it - there was as much comic relief as in diary - perhaps not thesame type of humour on many occasions but still very clever.

Bridget Jones : The Edge of Reason
Bridget Jones : The Edge of Reason by Helen Fielding (Hardcover - 18 Nov. 1999)
Used & New from: £0.01