5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book
Siddhartha, son of a Brahman, is on a quest to find the meaning of life. We follow him as he struggles on through his journey, through many different life experiences. He is on a spiritual journey to find out for himself who he really is. Along the way he meets rich people, poor people, holy people, and becomes part of their world for a short time. Through his many...
Published on 5 Jan. 2010 by Maria Savva

2.0 out of 5 stars Loads of typos!
I like the book itself, but this kindle version has quite a lot of typos! A bit off putting when trying to read a book!
Published 14 months ago by sez

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 59 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars a book that grows with you, 10 Dec. 2012
this is my favourite book because i have read it every decade since i was 16 and each time i understand the story more than i did the time before and see it in a different way - maybe it takes the experience of a lifetime to truly finish this book

4.0 out of 5 stars Profound - but with one big shortcoming, 27 July 2002
This review is from: Siddhartha (Paperback)
I read this book in my junior year of college. I thought it was profound. It was one of my favorite books. I'm glad I re-read it now that I am 51-years-old. It is not one of my favorite books anymore.
Siddhartha is fine literature and deeply insightful. It traces the life of an intelligent, sensitive young man of Eastern (Buddhist?) spirituality; from his youthful studies with the masters, through a period of self-conscious asceticism and self-rejection, through a period of self-indulgence and sensuality, ultimately to self-knowledge and peace as he becomes a ferryman living humbly in a small hut beside a river which teaches him many of the ultimate truths of life.
Siddhartha has a shortcoming that I did not see when I was young but I see now. This book is always and only about the self. Even when he finds salvation - Siddhartha finds it in himself. The path towards salvation is only internal - coming from self-denial, self-examination, self-discipline, self, self, self... Where compassion, charity, humility, and love exist, they exist as by-products of self-knowledge.
There are a great many truths in Siddhartha. Young people who are seeking should read this book. Siddhartha looked into the river and saw that life does not change. I suggest that things do change - and they change as a result of what we do. Like the young Siddhartha, the young reader of this book should pause for a while, then grow and move on. There are bigger things outside the self. You will find that Robert Frost spoke more truly when he said "[you] have promises to keep."

5.0 out of 5 stars Do read it!, 29 April 2014
This review is from: Siddhartha (Paperback)
One of the first books I red when starting my spiritual search. It is indeed, the story of each one of us, with all the stages we go through from the moment we are born till the moment we die. The great bit about the book is that it allows mistake, it is not the story of the perfect being, having a perfect life, but of a random person having ups and downs in their search for enlightment.
A brilliant must-read book that brings hope to humanity and delights the restless soul.

4.0 out of 5 stars interesting and worth a look, 22 May 2012
This review is from: Siddhartha (Paperback)
This is quite a short novel, which I believe was very popular in the 60's. It contains some interesting concepts and indian philosophy and will appeal to anyone with an interest in meditation, the 'pursuit' of enlightenment or philosophy. I read it perhaps too quickly, and while interesting it did not have a massive impact on me. However I did enjoy it and recommend it to anyone who is interested in this kind of book. I think it will mull around in my head for a while.

2.0 out of 5 stars The book is fine as it is the right book but I really ..., 4 Sept. 2014
The book is fine as it is the right book but I really needed the one shown in the picture with this cover as I had to replace a book for someone and I needed this exact range / cover. I received the book which of course i can read because it is the correct story but in a cover not as depicted in the sale item.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, but errors., 21 May 2014
This review is from: Siddhartha (Kindle Edition)
I have the kindle addition and the main problem is the spelling and grammar which throws me off. Apart from that it's a lovely book. Full of meaning. Always worth a read regardless of whether you're researching into Buddhism.

5.0 out of 5 stars Siddhartha review, 12 April 2014
This review is from: Siddhartha (Kindle Edition)
I found this to be a very good read as I'm interested in Yoga, meditation etc. It held my interest as I wanted to know how things turned out for siddhartha and I could relate to much in this story, there are a few spelling errors and unusual ways of saying things which I found this thought provoking and didn't detract from the story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!!!, 24 Feb. 2013
I love this book and this author!! and this edition is fantastic!! Beautiful hard cover, nicely designed and with extra information, which every one who love the book, would like to know as well. The best edition of Sidhartha I came across.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a MUST Read, 28 Jun. 2011
Joya (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Siddhartha (Paperback)
This is a beautiful book I'll want to read again and again - it has layer upon layer of message and meaning - but it's also a simple story. It has something to say for everybody. I couldn't put it down and then I read it again.....

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful tit-bits about dying to self, 23 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Siddhartha (Kindle Edition)
An interesting story with plenty of twists and turns. Read it over three days, but was unable to predict where it was going. Useful tit-bits about dying to self, awareness and contemplation. Certainly not a manual on Buddhism.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 59 | Next ›

Siddhartha
Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse (Paperback - 6 Mar. 1998)
Used & New from: £0.01