Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 March 2009
There are several translations of this beautiful and powerful book but this one is the best and I recommend it thoroughly to all Hesse fans and to any new reader yet to taste the delights from this incredible writer. The story is a simple one but the message and depth of meaning are profound and lasting. Read it again and again as you grow up and grow older and maybe even as you grow wiser!
on 24 May 2012
A good friend of mine was aware that I was going through a bad time. She just said to me read this book. So I did. It's not a long book. it's a simple tale simply told. Having said that, it is the most beautiful and profound book that I have ever read. What more can I say apart from read it for yourself. If you have a heart, if you have a soul, you will not be disappointed.
on 2 April 2013
I read this book over a decade ago, and hardly understood any of it, but was still swept along by the elegant story-telling, the natural intrigue set up by the premise of a young man in search of wisdom, perhaps enlightenment.

This time around, I found the first part of the book exhilarating: it resonated in a way it had not previously, I felt like I was reading a book brimming with latent truths, and I had been handed the key to understanding them.

Then I became lost again, but pleasantly so, any hard truth or meaning just beyond my grasp, but Hesse's talents carrying the book successfully to its end.

A short book, but deep, like a beautiful pool that is sometimes clear and sunlit.

This particular edition is a very nice slim hardback, of good quality, and should last a lifetime. It will need to...

Joseph Smith
Finally My Ambulance
The Wolf & Taurus
VINE VOICEon 1 February 2003
Reading Siddhartha was a complete joy for me. I loved his outlook, his wisdom and understanding of life. He takes you through so many emotions and gives you a deeper understanding of yourself and the world we live in. I can't praise this book enough, because it comes from a different perspective on life. Siddhartha's journey moves without judgement of all the different paths taken and observes all our paths are right for us as individuals, because that is where we are at that time. The last chapter "Govinda" I thought was great wisdom, saying in a few words and truths that so many other books don't even come close to finding. I feel the keys to life are in this book; my last words are read Siddhartha and open up to wisdom beyond mere words. "Brilliant"
on 5 September 2001
At a point in my life when i keep constantly asking myself "there must be more to life", the universe provided me with Siddhartha. For me, the strongest message that came out of this read, is that in a world where we are constantly looking to others for answers, the truth lies within us. You have all the answers you'll ever need within you, you just need to look in the right place (or listen to the right river).
on 28 February 2012
I first read this book over twenty years ago and thought it profound and inspirational. Having revisited it recently I was not disappointed - a wonderful story describing a man's search for spiritual enlightenment during the time of the Buddha. As relevant today as it always has been.
on 14 February 2009
Hesse is, for me at least, one of the most undervalued and under-read authors of the early twentieth century. As the modernism of Eliot, Beckett, Woolf and Joyce tore through literature, retooling relationships with the mechanics of language, causing consternation and some loud braying, Hesse continued to write psychologically acute stories of personal crisis and spiritual rebirth. He won the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1946 and, in time, his work was swept into the referential carpet-bag of sixties counter-culture, indirectly inspiring everyone from hippies, anti-psychologists and beat poets, right up to the biker's favourite FM radio chestnut, 'Born to Be Wild'. With the weight of that kind of cultural influence, how could you possibly say no? (see also The Glass Bead Game ).
on 20 January 2009
I felt such warmth and hope when I read this book. It evoked so many feelings, but what I will remember most of all is those profound moments I had in course of reading this book. I have a feeling this will be one book I will read over and over again.
on 7 November 2010
For anyone with an interest in penetrating the world of illusion that we all inhabit, this is essential reading. Hesse spent his life on such a quest. His parents were missionaries in India. He was a troubled soul and used his writings to explore mental perception.

The content does not confine itself to one specific philosophy or teaching. The main character realises that wisdom cannot be taught and sees the embodiment of his eventual goal in a simple peasant - the ferryman Vasudeva. Siddhartha's goal was enlightenment, knowledge of the deepest level of his being, where he achieved freedom and universality.

It is such a simply and beautifully written work. Tremendously thought provoking and comforting in its sense of hope that we can all achieve this eventual state.
on 10 December 2012
this is my favourite book because i have read it every decade since i was 16 and each time i understand the story more than i did the time before and see it in a different way - maybe it takes the experience of a lifetime to truly finish this book