VINE VOICEon 29 July 2005
Actually, this is asking quite a lot, since such a big thing is made on the cover of this being 'Douglas Adams' Starship Titanic. Well - its not Douglas Adams at all, and I'm afraid that if you want a Douglas Adams novel then re read the Hitchikers and Dirk Gently series, because that's all there is. This is by Terry Jones, and its a very different kettle of babel fish. .
So, once you've managed to get rid of all the expectations you'd have of a Douglas Adams novel - how much will you enjoy it ? I have to say that I was quite pleasantly surprised, especially bearing in mind the book's unusual genesis. Without going into great detail about this, the idea came from a very brief throwaway gag digression in Adams' third Hitchikers Guide novel, " Life, The Universe, and Everything " . Created as a computer game, the deal Adams had struck with Simon and Schuster meant that there had to be a novel come out at the same time as the computer game. Considering this far from ideal conception process, the book does hang together rather well. It all makes sense - actually the plot is rather simple. Its pretty much all there in the title. There are jokes aplenty , although you get the feeling that a lot of the humourous digressions are put in to please Adams fans, rather than because Jones wanted to actually write the book this way. And the unfortunate thing is, it won't please Adams fans, because its done rather without conviction. While Adams derives so much of his comic power through an almost unique ability to explain the most illogical things in terms of perfectly understandable logic, Jones just tells you that he could explain how something happened, but it would be very long and boring so he won't bother.
Still, what you lose on the roundabouts. . . Jones' characters are more real and well developed than almost all you find in any of Adams' novels. A comparison between the relationships between the principals in this book, Dan, Lucy, Nettie and The Journalist, and the relationship between Fenchurch and Arthur in SLATFAT Fish, for example will bear this out. In parts its rather nearer the knuckle, rather more saucy than Adams' work too.
If you love Adams, and you're looking for something similar - then you will be disappointed with this. If, on the other hand, you can accept it for what it is, a fairly light, amusing and relatively undemanding sci fi comic romp, then you might well enjoy it. I rather did.
VINE VOICEon 27 January 2006
This book is really a 'how to' guide for the computer game and, as such, lacks the depth of Douglas Adams' other works (I know he didn't write this but you can see his ideas are all in here) The plot is quite shaky and one dimensional (as it has to follow the computer game's own plotline) but you cannot expect everything. The book is full of wonderful humour - not up to the standards of HHG or Dirk Gently but still funny enough to keep you reading. I would suggest geting this if you are a completist but DO NOT ASSUME THAT THIS IS FROM THE PEN OF THE GREAT MR ADAMS, treat this more as a 'tribute' by one of the funniest comedians ever to grace our shores.
on 18 August 2004
I was a little dissappointed with Starship Titanic. I have played the game which makes me laugh out loud, and I think Douglas Adams is one of the most generally underrated writers of our times. I wanted it to be as enjoyable as reading Douglas, but it felt at times as if the author was trying too hard to make it read like DA... and never quite got there. At times the jokes are a little forced and the plot is too contrived. A reasonable enough read for holidays... but if you're expecting to be as entertained as reading Hitchhikers or Dirk Gently, you'll be dissapointed...
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I've given this 3 stars as it was pretty average.

Most Adams' know the story behind the authoring of it - Douglas Adams didn't have time to write it and gave the plot to Terry Jones who wrote the novel based on what Adams told him.

The result is a book that feels unloved. You expect more from such a great pairing, but it doesn't come across.

I did enjoy the book initially, but it never really tickled me or got me thinking in the same way that other Adams' books have. It's worth a read, and I'll probably read it again - like I say, it's 'okay', but the concept could have led to a fantastic story.
VINE VOICEon 23 September 2006
A very strange book, this is a novel by Terry Jones based on a computer game of the same name by Douglas Adams, which was itself based on a throwaway line from one of Adams' `Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy' novels. As such it's difficult to determine exactly how much of this should be credited to Jones or Adams, but `Starship Titanic' is very much in the same comedy science fiction style as Adams Hitch-Hikers novels. The plot however betrays its computer game origins at points, with a storyline constructed around a search for the missing shards of the Starship Titanic's central intelligence, and a seemingly interminable quest to deactivate a self-destruct bomb on board. Still, while it's a little thin around the edges there is still plenty to enjoy in `Starship Titanic' with some decent humour and a reasonably engaging cast. Not a work of genius by any means, but a good fun romp in a sub-`Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy' way.
on 16 August 2012
Don't be fooled by the large, friendly letters on the cover reading "Douglas Adams". Starship Titanic is made of paper, but that's where the resemblance to anything by Douglas Adams ends.
It reads like an extremely poor parody of Douglas Adams, or something Douglas Adams would have written when he was about 11 and still amazed that your weiner is for more than peeing out of. This is the only book in my entire life that I have ever given up with before finishing; yes, it is really that horrendous. The Hitchhiker's books are, to this very day, my favourite books ever, and I procrastinate by watching Adams give lectures on YouTube. If there's a bigger Douglas Adams fan than me, I'll be amazed.
But this book was truly awful. Hard-going from page 1, the first half (for I pulled out the bookmark about halfway through) contains absolutely nothing that would make me want to continue reading it.
It's not funny enough or sci-fi enough to be a sci-fi comedy. The plot, chracters and technology isn't in-depth or explained enough to be a serious novel. In fact, it could hardly be called a story (most stories have some sort of point). Truly, utterly, woefully awful. Spend your money on a hard-boiled sweet; you'll enjoy it more.
on 21 November 2000
An excellent book, with all the charm and pace you'd expect from an Adams book, but a quick glance through the preface will tell you this ISN'T an Adams book. This book it written by Terry Jones, one of the original "Monty Python" crew, and it carries subtle but visible overtones of the Python-style humor. So why is Adam's name there, I hear you ask? Well basically this book is an accompaniment to the Game "Starship Titanic" that is written by Douglas Adams with his Software company TDV (The Digital Village). The book was written my Mr. Jones to give Mr. Adams a chance to work on the game (Something he's always wanted to do), and the two were launched simultaneously.
But to sum up, Buy this book, read it, laugh your socks off, Buy the game, play it, Laugh your socks off.
I did, and I'm fairly sure you will too.
on 4 June 2012
Personally I loved it. H2G2 and Python were a massive influence during my teens and I played the online ST game a few times.

Is it any good? I thought so, it made me giggle and I read it to the end, what more could I ask of a story? If in doubt, buy a copy - and if it doesn't suit, then put it back online or send to a charity shop.
on 15 June 2013
There's a distinct bond here, one of brains, great humour and rampant left-field madness; thank goodness for that. Douglas Adams needed such a kindred spirit who willingly and wonderfully took a not undaunting task of writing 'the novel' of Adam's concept 'Starship Titanic' He did good, and it will not be time wasted to read the result.....but then nothing either Adams wrote, or Terry Jones ever was. What truly wonderful men, I owe then so much enjoyment for what they have shared with me, us, all of us.
Laughing out loud not being the least of it.
on 2 August 2012
This is a beautiful-looking book on the outside, its cover faithfully reproducing the art deco design on the computer game's box. On the inside, after a Foreword by Douglas Adams, explaining how the book came to be written, Terry Jones takes off on a crazy voyage. The story is loosely based on characters in the Douglas Adams computer game, Starship Titanic, with typical Terry Jones embellishments and additions. Great literature it isn't but it is fun.