on 5 January 1999
W. F. Deedes has a life full of stories to tell, stories which we would all like to be a part of. As a journalist myself it gave me the opportunity to experience a career which watches history unfold and then has the chance to shape it. Deedes takes us through his eighty plus years of writing from work as a reporter on the Morning Post, to his time in Ethiopia, all the way through to his relationship with Diana.
If anyone has a story to tell it is him and Dear Bill does it so well. His words become a book of pictures, unique to each reader.
on 21 August 2007
Ignore the previous review from someone who is obviously a poisonous feminist! His wife and children are mentioned many times in the book (including photographs) and they obviously meant a huge amount to him but most readers would much rather hear his interesting stories & history from around the world than a sentimental slushy memoir.
The book is a fascinating and highly readable memoir and commentary from a soldier, politician and journalist which I can highly recommend (as can my mother & also wife).
His sad recent death underlines how much he also meant to others & if the world had more people similar to Bill Deedes than the previous reviewer it would be a better place.
on 10 March 2015
It was interesting to hear his views on various things remembering them as they happened. I'd quite like to have met him.
on 5 October 2014
Thoroughly enjoyable - probably for all the worst reasons!