5.0 out of 5 stars A gem of a book read with gusto.
Published on 11 Mar 2001 by mckarkiel2powell@aol.com

3.0 out of 5 stars I haven't got round to finishing this book yet as ...
I haven't got round to finishing this book yet as it is SO thick. Thickness of book not suitable for in bed reading but reading very interesting. Very prompt delivery and fairly priced. I would definitely order again from this supplier.
Published 2 months ago by MRS V F OTTO

5.0 out of 5 stars A gem of a book read with gusto., 11 Mar 2001
This review is from: The Memoirs of Cleopatra (Paperback)
I have read several books consisting of over 1,000 pages like A Suitable Boy, Quincunx & The Lord of the Rings but this book has to be ranked as one of the best. I picked this book for: its price, its title - having been to Egypt in 1995 little was mentioned about Queen Cleopatra & I thought it would give me some insight. This is a well researched novel & every spare moment I had was spent reading it. The chief protagonists Cleopatra, Caesar, Marc Anthony & Octavian come alive. Will Caesar survive? Will Anthony & Cleopatra rule a vast kingdom or will it be Octavian? These are questions that keep on croping up. You have this image that all your questions will be answered (& they are) but the questions that you seek are not the ones you were after. When you finally finish the book, and you will & you'll be after more, you somehow feel that George has left things unanswered but at the very end with the authors note she answers these questions. One of the key questions that I wanted answered was, What was her colouring? Was she as beautiful as so many thought? I always thought that Cleopatra was black. As for her beauty, she had no rival!!! Although George answers these & other questions saying that, 'The Ptolemies were Macedonian Greeks' & 'Skin tone too, can vary from quite light to Mediterranean "Olive -Skinned" it's left up to the reader how they want to interpret her skin colour & her beauty. George also says that contrary to popular belief there is quite a lot known about Cleopatra but it's a pity that there are not any statues (are there any?) of this Queen, Goddess, Scholar, Warrior that in some way can give us further insight into one of the greatest & richest rulers this world has ever known. I relish the next novel that she has published.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cleopatra lives, 14 Sep 2007
This review is from: The Memoirs of Cleopatra (Paperback)
This book is truly amazing. You feel as if you are actually inside the head of this amazing woman. It's no wonder the romans tried to poison us against her throughout history. She was clever, intelligent and loved those around her. Little wonder that men fell under her spell as soon as they met her.

As a work of fiction it's the kind of book you pick and just can't put down. Margaret George very carefully researches her material and it shows, mixing a blend of historical fact with perhaps a little bias. Strange though that her tomb which stood in the centre of Alexandria and contained both her and Mark Anthony has so completely vanished and no trace of it has ever been found. I also agree with her physician Olympus, had her eldest son been allowed to live, what wonderful things he may have done with parents like Cleopatra and Ceaser. This we shall never know or find out the fate of her other children by Marc Anthony.

If you plan to go off on holiday soon, take this book and become lost in an ancient world. If you stay at home, curl up on the sofa read this book and be transported.

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect book, 1 Aug 2003
This review is from: The Memoirs of Cleopatra (Paperback)
This book is absolutely brilliant!!!! I've read it over 3 or 4 times and I never get bored. It is amazing how Margaret can discribe all of Cleopatra's emotions on each moment of her life. Just for you to imagine how good the book is I spent 3 or 4 whole afternoons reading it and I even walked reading it! You don't just read this book, you really live it. Believe or not I really cried when Caesar and Anthony died and when she commited suicide. If you are interested on Egypt and Cleopatra or just on the time she lived in, YOU SHOULD BUY THIS BOOK.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational and Compelling untill the end, 22 Aug 2005
This review is from: The Memoirs of Cleopatra (Paperback)
One of the best historical novels written. There are a number of different perceptions of Cleopatra, but M.George appears to have it right. Her concept of cleopatra as the of the pharo and ruler of Egypt is very effective. We also insight as to where the different concepts of Cleopatra's personality were concieved. Ultimately, this book is a detailed portrait of her life. We learn of her relationships with Julius Ceasar and Marc Anthony, her children and her tragic death. A truly wonderful and inspirational story of one of the most powerful women in the world at that time. Should be read by all.

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly amazing accomplishment, 18 Jan 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: The Memoirs of Cleopatra (Paperback)
As a Classics student and great admirer of Cleopatra, I felt compelled to buy this book, if only to see how the author would handle telling the story of such a complex woman, living in one of the most complex times in history. My expectations were great - and I was not disappointed. Instead, I was inspired by the author's flawless, easy style; how she managed to intertwine what we do know - historical event such as the Battle of Actium, Caesar's assassination, Octavian's rise to power - with the personal, unrecorded side, such as Cleopatra's relationships with the legendary political figures Julius Caesar and Marc Antony. I would recommend this book to anybody interested in this period of history, for it deals not only with Cleopatra, but also with her friends and enemies - e.g. Cicero, Brutus, Augustus, Caesar, Antony - and provides a fascinating insight into one of the most determined, intelligent and courageous women of all time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Detailed to maximum, 18 May 2000
This review is from: The Memoirs of Cleopatra (Paperback)
Such books it is difficult to rate: the characters - Cleopatra, Caesar, Marc Antony - are so legendary and their story is so generally wide-known and notorious that it is nearly to impossible to percept them as humans that ever lived. And often I couldn't reading this beautiful book - they were so beautiful, daring and head-strong, ruling empires and proving how challenging and fleeting luck can be. This book reads slowlier than two other splendid books by this author: to savour all details (that are the main asset of the book and sometimes turn into its drawbeck)- you feel scent of burning incense, weight of golden necklaces, crispy cool cotton dresses, clanking of breast plates, dust and sweat of Roman crowds - and million of other sensations that the author weaves into thin tapestry enwrapping you. Another note: this novel contains a dozen more love scenes than her other books (it's a story of love and power, in the end). Some scenes make you choke with tears (Caesar's burial, death of both protagonists), some makes you admire enormous wealth of the ancient Egypt. I can only add that 4th book by Ms. George will be an anticipated gift to me.

5.0 out of 5 stars go cleo!, 16 Sep 2009
Sarah Warrilow (Epsom, Surrey United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Memoirs of Cleopatra (Paperback)
Ok this book is long, really long, but it is absolutely brilliant. Spanning the life of Cleopatra from small child to absolute ruler during a most fascinating era this book is sure to delight. Margaret George weaves a story using ancient scrolls written by Cleopatra about her life and also those written by her closest household members and then fills the gaps with intelligent guesses. If you, like me, love ancient Egypt and Rome, then delve into love, politics and murder with this book, a very good choice for a holiday.

5.0 out of 5 stars True to Historic records and still thrilling, 7 Sep 2010
This review is from: The Memoirs of Cleopatra (Paperback)
Being a passionate reader of historic novels, the books I prize most are the novels which stick to the known truths as much as possible and then make informed and educated guesses to fill the blanks in inbetween.
Margaret George researches the facts we know for each of her novels, so I know when I read the books, I am getting as much out of the novel as I would from a text book- the important difference between the two is that I feel by describing the events through the eyes of someone 'living' it gives the history much more meaning to the reader and makes it more relateable as we all have human feeligs similar to what they felt, only the times have changed, human nature still lives on. So I find after reading these types of novels, I probably know more from reading a novel than what I ever learnt at school in my history lessons when we got taught dates and significant events, but we are not taught the human aspect, or we 'learn' myths with no real truth to them, of which books I resent as being misleading.

This book is suitable for anyone who is interested in history, or ancient egypt/rome or greece as the 3 power houses were intertwined so strongly at this moment in time.
It is also suitable for children as well as adults, from those who like to read romance novels for you have love and romance, to trajedy, the loss of loved one's, a magnificent legacy or an empire, drama and action through the battles fought and a well written and logical story which is easy to understand and read.

My recommendation for anyone who has just finished reading this book is to go straight on to 'Cleopatra's Daughter' by Michelle Moran who picks up where Margaret George leaves off and tells the next part of the story from Selene's point of view, another brilliant book. Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cleopatra comes alive........, 22 Aug 2008
This review is from: The Memoirs of Cleopatra (Paperback)
Margaret George really gives an insight into Cleopatra's life and her emotions in this novel. You really live this book, it is one of those that plays on your mind when you can't read it (i.e. when you are at work!). At every opportunity I picked this up to read some more. I was fortunate enough to have some days off and read this solid, I couldn't put it down.

Like a previous reviewer said, George does omit some detail as to what she actually looked like but I think evidence on this is sketchy anyway. I immediately had an image of her in my head when I began this novel anyway so didn't think this detail was really needed. George writes so vividly that Egypt really comes alive, you can feel the sand blowing over your toes as you walk over the desert, you can see those monolithic dazzlingly white buildings in front of you. You really imagine yourself in Cleopatra's position, I felt all her emotions, her tragic loss, her love and passion.

The book starts with Cleopatra as a young girl and follows her life through right to the tragic end. George has obviously researched this incredibly well as what I knew about her was contained in here, plus other facts which I have since found out are correct. All of the questions I ever had about Cleopatra, and many generally on life at that time, were answered by this book.

Overall a fantastic read for those with even the faintest interest in Cleopatra or Ancient Rome. I can guarantee that this will whet your appetite to learn more about this fantastic period in time and the amazing Cleopatra....

P.S For an extra treat I suggest purchasing Cleopatra the DVD with Elizabeth Taylor after reading this, because if you are anything like me you will be missing the old girl....

5.0 out of 5 stars Lose yourself, 28 Aug 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: The Memoirs of Cleopatra (Paperback)
I had this book for six months before I tackled it, and then couldn't believe I'd left it for so long. Ms George is responsible for me losing almost a week of my life reading this book, and rarely will you find such a brilliant, spellbinding, entertaining and moving book for little over six pounds. The novel is sympathetic to the character of Cleopatra because it is written in the first person, a feature in the authors other masterpiece The Autobiography of Henry VIII, but this does not detract from the brilliance of the book, if anything it adds a more real, tense atmosphere. If you're thinking of buying this book you should go ahead, because at that price everyone should own it - I would have paid twice.

The Memoirs of Cleopatra
The Memoirs of Cleopatra by Margaret George (Paperback - 10 May 2012)