5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent insight into social history
Published on 15 April 2010 by PAULINE LEEEVANS

1.0 out of 5 stars The worst book I ever read
I can't decide what I disliked most about this book. Whether the haughtiness of the author, his racist attitude, his egotism and selfishness, his narrow-mindedness or his total lack of sensitivity.
I don't think I have read anything worse in my life. This book has not enriched me in any way, have not left me with the wish of knowing more about its facts.
It only...
Published on 3 Aug 2007 by D.B.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent insight into social history, 15 April 2010
PAULINE LEEEVANS "Pauline Lee-Evans" (Norfolk, England) - See all my reviews
I have just read this book and frankly would love to read more from Mr. Glasser, but sadly he is dead and the majority of his books are out of print. There seems to be a enormous cavern between the views of the two previous reviewers. I can only say that the book is excellent just for the social and economic history displayed in its pages. The author was an intellectual, so I think can be forgiven for using words containig several syllables (good excuse for renewing your acquaintance with the dictonary!). The journey of a Jewish boy whose parents moved from persecution in Eastern Europe to England and on to Glasgow, but who through sheer hard work gained an education for himself whilst working in a sweat shop in Glasgow. Won an essay competition resulting in an offer of a place at Oxford. The book provides an insight into communism as it was in the 1930s, the Spanish Civil War, becoming a man, being driven by a thirst for knowledge and rewarded by an Oxford Scholorship which opened up the world of knowledge, politics, power and money. Well worth a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars RalphGlasser Omnibus, 12 Feb 2014
This review is from: Ralph Glasser Omnibus: Growing Up in the Gorbals; Gorbals Boy at Oxford; Gorbals Voices, Siren Songs (Paperback)
This book was bought as a gift for a friend. It's fortunate that it is still in print. The service was excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars gorbals books, 11 Jan 2008
If you like reading about the old gorbals try colin macfarlane's The Real Gorbals story which brings all the 1960s places and characters to life

1.0 out of 5 stars The worst book I ever read, 3 Aug 2007
D.B. (Genova, Italy) - See all my reviews
It only expresses the angry bitterness of the author who does not even try to look at things from a different view point but uses the book as a means for conveying his godsend opinions in a monologue where he wants to crash other people's actions and reasons and glorify his own. He dedicates most of the pages trying to show off his amateur skills, his conquests, his "exceptional" brains, playing at the same time the badly hidden role of the false humble man. Highly non-recommended...

Used & New from: £0.01