on 26 January 2001
If you've ever wondered how PJ got the way he is then read this excellent compilation of his work spanning his whole published life - from hippy agitator through to car magazines and sports reporting an finally to political theory O'Rourke style. The early outbursts of hippy angst may be a little unappealing (as O'Rourke himself agrees)but there are flashes of the wit even then, the rest of the book is pure hilarity with swipes taken at just about anything you can name and quite a few moments that rank among the very best of PJ. Overall I would give this a huge thumbs up, a classic slice of intelligent, politically incorrect humor.
on 25 April 2001
As a namby-pampy liberal type I know that O'Rourke wouldn't approve of me. That doesn't stop me thinking that his works of journalism are as important as those of John Pilger or Mark Twain. Perhaps most importantly though, is the fact that he makes me laugh harder than any other writer I've ever encountered. Merciless and cynical are only words. I wish I could be as succinct.