5.0 out of 5 stars Bipolar 101
This was the first book I read, on the advice of my psychiatrist, after being diagnosed with bipolar. My life was in shards and this book gave me comfort that I could rebuild it. It also gave me the sense that I was not alone.
Published on 10 Mar 2004 by gekko

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, engagingly written but short of the mark.
I found this book to be readable and vivid in parts but did not feel that it described the essence of her subjective experience of manic depression. I would not say that Kay Jamison was particularly 'brave' in going public with her illness as she had already 'come out' to many of her academic and professional colleagues, the people whose reassurance and acceptance she...
Published on 21 April 2002

5.0 out of 5 stars Bipolar 101, 10 Mar 2004
gekko (Fife, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: An Unquiet Mind (Paperback)
One year post diagnosis, I re-read it to discover it is somewhat oversimplistic in it's summary of the illness and consequent social, mental and pharmacological effects. It also possibly even over-confident in terms of the return to 'normality' one can hope to achieve, though I admit it is early days for me.
But by goodness, I needed it's message then, I still need it today from time to time, when the going gets tough. It is a good book, a good start. Don't make this the only book you read, but please make it one of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievably helpful, 28 Feb 2007
Shelagh (South Africa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: An Unquiet Mind (Paperback)
After being diagnosed with manic depression (bipolar disorder as it is known these days) I felt like I was desperately flailing around for some support and understanding.

The sad truth is that no matter how good your doctors are or how understanding your family is, you feel as if no one really gets what's happening to you. "An Unquiet Mind" was recommended to me by a fellow manic depressive and listening to her was one of the best moves I've ever made. I was so relieved that someone else had a similar (no one's is ever the same) experience and more importantly had managed to come out the other side !!! What a moment of hope.

Without a doubt I would recommend that anyone who has depression of any form, or knows/lives with someone who has depression reads this book. It'll help stop the world from spinning out of control.

4.0 out of 5 stars Helping you to understand, 6 Aug 2006
lmhh (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: An Unquiet Mind (Paperback)
Living with someone who is living with mental illness is not an easy place to be. This book will not stop the roller coaster you sometimes feel you live on, but it will give you insight which might help in coping. with the impact As someone who has lived in this position for 20 years I recommend this book and - for the very darkest days - anything by Dorothy Rowe.

5.0 out of 5 stars Illuminating, thought-provoking and revealing., 13 May 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: An Unquiet Mind (Paperback)
Jamison provides the definitive first-person narrative of the effect of manic depression, and all mood disorders. She manages to intelligently discuss medicating an 'uniquiet mind' whilst not reducing the questioning this invokes. She combines a lucid account of psychotic and depressive symptoms and their pull, whilst not down-playing the suffering this produces for sufferer and family. Most importantly, she gives the sufferer hope that extreme traits can be moderated whilst remaining the same person. The book is a superb read, and the issues it raises can be extrapolated to everyone's life, not just those of the mentally ill.

5.0 out of 5 stars Want to get a glimpse of what it's like to have bipolar?, 2 Jun 2006
Eclipse "suz29" (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: An Unquiet Mind (Paperback)
This is a fantastic true story of Kay Redfield Jamison determination to live her life for herself rather than give into illness. If you have bipolar(like myself)you will find this book inspirational and it will leave you with a feeling of hope.

This book genuinely helped me come to terms with my diagnosis. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who want to step into the shoes of someone dealing with bipolar or to gain piece of mind that bipolar needn't dictate you life.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Well that explains a lot"., 21 Nov 2002
James McGinley (Glasgow, Strathclyde United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: An Unquiet Mind (Paperback)
A must have book for anyone suffering manic depression. Having suffered MD for 14 years I could never fully explain what it was like. Kay Jamison does this brilliantly. She has helped me understand the importance of Lithium and Psychotherapy to stay well.
In short she has given me hope, for which I will be forever grateful.

5.0 out of 5 stars My own madness, 2 Sep 2004
This review is from: An Unquiet Mind (Paperback)
This was the first book I read about Bipolar Affective Disorder (Manic Depression) after my own diagnosis and near loss of my own life! I found that at times it was like looking in the mirror as Kay and I seemed to be sharing so many experiences. It helped me to understand what was happening to me and it helped friends and family to understand the illness and why I had behaved in such bizarre ways in the past. I wasn't alone - when I first purchased the book I had to give up university because I just couldn't function with the disorder - now like the author, I'm back at university, and this time as a mature student training as a registered nurse (mental health). Definately a book worth reading if you have BP or are supporting someone who is!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking and moving, 21 May 2007
This review is from: An Unquiet Mind (Paperback)
An excellent read, a remarkable account of a journey through manic-depressive illness. Anyone diagnosed with manic-depression or has an interest will find this a moving, eye opening and inspiring book. Kay Jamison's shares her honest heartfelt thoughts and feelings, a lady to be truly admired.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very useful insight, 29 Sep 2008
This review is from: An Unquiet Mind (Paperback)
This book gives a very interesting insight into how people can live with a bi-polar mind. The fact she is very successful and appears to cope with life might surprise some but then when you look below at some of the compulsions the reality of this illness shines through.

Yes the book is a bit over the place but that is how the mind works. This might help anyone who lives or knows anyone with this illness. It also gives a good insight into how difficult it is to medicate and why the patient might rebel from medication.

If you want an introduction to the world of someone whose mind doesn't tick quite the same as most people rather than or before getting medical books then please have a look at this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars invaluable, heartwrenching- a must read., 15 Dec 2009
Lindsay Clark "Lindsay Clark" (Liverpool, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: An Unquiet Mind (Paperback)
I found this book refreshingly honest, informative and very accurate.

As someone with a partner who suffers from Bipolar disorder it was a must read.

While theres no way somebody who doesn't suffer from the disorder can ever truly understand what sufferers go through, this book is able to portray the sense of helplessness, fear, and isolation in a very real and powerful way. So much so that it is difficult to read in parts .

Anybody with a partner, family member or friend with Bipolar disorder should read this book.

An Unquiet Mind
An Unquiet Mind by Kay Redfield Jamison (Paperback - 9 May 1997)
Used & New from: £0.01