on 12 September 2000
A fantastic book for everybody. It gave me an interresting insight into the colourful politics of the rhodesian war. Peter Godwin's experiences will change your views and open your mind. This charming story of his change from boy to man also dipicts a beutiful country that has since been shadowed.
on 3 December 2013
Back in the '90s after Nick Hornby wrote 'Fever Pitch' a lot of would be football writers jumped on the bandwagon with much readable results. The same has been true of the white experience of growing up in Africa. None, so far (with the exception of Peter Godwin's other writing) has come close to 'Mukiwa'.

He has the ability to put the reader right into the middle of his story whether it be growing up in the Eastern Highlands of Rhodesia, fighting the war in Matabeleland or returning to Zimbabwe.

I have owned this book for 16 years now and probably read it cover to cover three or four times. On many, many more occasions I have idly picked it up off my bookshelf, opened it and randomly read a few pages. An absolute delight!

I could not recommend this book more highly
on 19 June 1999
An absolute delight...one minute you're crying, the next belly laughing. It was so enjoyable I rationed myself to reading only one chapter a day so it would last longer. I regard it as one of my all time favourites.
on 21 June 1999
Mukiwa is a well written book describing what life was like growing up in Rhodesia in a period of great cbange and uncertainty. Godwin writes in such a way as to transport the reader into his childhood and share his friendships, laugh at the funny anecdotes and be saddened by the increase in violence and bloodshed during this difficult period in Zimbabwe's history.