5.0 out of 5 stars Be warned! The puzzle pieces may not be what they appear.
Simon Brett's crime novels are always enthralling, especially if you listen to him reading them. If you are listening in your car, you are likely to overshoot your destination. If you reach your destination before his reading has finished, you might choose, as someone I know did, to drive around the block a few times to allow time to hear how it all ends.
Most are...
Published on 1 May 2001 by John Austin

3.0 out of 5 stars Dead Romantic
I listened to this as an audio book and have to admit that I doubt I would have got to the end if I had had to read it.

The characters were not totally believable but at least the ending was different and unexpected.
Published on 23 Dec. 2011 by Zebedee

5.0 out of 5 stars Be warned! The puzzle pieces may not be what they appear., 1 May 2001
John Austin "austinjr@bigpond.net.au" (Kangaroo Ground, Australia) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Most are light-hearted, and most feature a less than flawless sleuth. This one is not light-hearted and has no sleuth. Brett presents us with a puzzle and challenges us to solve it. Be warned. Listen carefully to names, and pronouns. The puzzles pieces may not be what they appear to be.
Brett has contrived the puzzle with great skill. Almost every occurrence is plausible, although I find it hard to accept that a woman would wipe down kitchen benches while wearing "long Hollywood style evening gloves". You won't like any of the characters in this book, especially the female tutor whose every utterance is a cliché, but you'll admire the story-teller's skills.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dead Romantic, 6 Feb. 2010
I thought I had read all of Simon Brett's books. Then I ran across this one. I've been looking for a good mystery for my book group. This would be perfect; the problem is finding enough copies. What the group wants is a mystery so well written that they can read most of it and then stop before the culprit is revealed. This one is tricky even though everything is revealed, the reader can almost get to the end with little certainty. As usual, I highly enjoyed it.

5.0 out of 5 stars His best book, 25 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Dead Romantic (Paperback)
Simon Brett is a funny, ingenious and entertaining crime writer. Those who have read his books starring his long running sleuths, Charles Paris and Mrs Pargeter, will find this book a bit of a departure - but a good departure, because I think this book is by far his best.

There is no detective in this story and the characters and settings are realistic, without the comic elements that Pargeter/Paris brings.

This story is about what happens when various people with sex on their minds (a virgin, a rampant teenage boy, and a fantacist) converge. Their intertwined stories make compulsive reading. Their stories end in a murder, and a plot twist that is beautifully handled by Brett and took me completely by surprise. Even knowing the ending, I have re-read this book several times because I find the central character Madeleine so beautifully constructed - deluded and irritating, her self-image is completely at odds with reality. I also love the way that every character, including the minor ones, has secrets that are gradually exposed. The suburban lives portrayed here - teachers in a language college in Brighton - turn out to have layers of deception which are at some levels harmless but at others lead to murder.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 9 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Dead Romantic (Kindle Edition)
Great book and I would recommend all Simon Brett books.

3.0 out of 5 stars Dead Romantic, 23 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Dead Romantic (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 23 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Dead Romantic (Kindle Edition)
Simon Brett is a master of plot and character. This is one of his best. Macabre and funny. Highly recommended.

Dead Romantic
Dead Romantic by Simon Brett (Paperback - 10 Feb. 1995)
Used & New from: £0.01