5.0 out of 5 stars A Must-Read
This book was fantastic! Really easy-reading and skilfully written to have me laughing out loud throughout. I could not put it down and cannot wait to read the sequel. A perfect read for teenagers and adults alike.
Published on 6 Jan 2005

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice, yet overrated
I had to read this one rapidly as it belonged to one of my fellow travellers and she left soon afterwards, but I managed in 5 hours (two nights). Easy reading material can be concluded. Highly appreciated in the press everywhere. I wouldn't say it's brilliant, but I had to laugh out loud quite a few times while reading. In the style Adrian Mole made famous, Bridget is a...
Published on 16 Sep 2003 by Gerben Kappert

‹ Previous | 1 2 323 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Helen Fielding - how did she know...?, 25 July 2003
Claire Rivers (Sydenham, London) - See all my reviews
Helen Fielding has captured a real slice of the nineties between the covers of this hilarious and touching novel. Anyone woman who does not understand at least 50% of what wacky Bridget is on about is the real one-off. In addition to being an accurate representation of our times, Bridget Jones is an ingeniously concocted and heart-breakingly real woman, her private scribblings exposed for the nation to read and, consequently, identify with. Far from claims that Bridget is obsessing over nothing (though it is true; her recorded weights would create scant cause for concern), her problems ARE VERY REAL to her and subsequently to many women who are afraid to confess it. I encourage any woman who has ever found herself hiding in the toilets from an embarrasing situation, wondering where all the wine got to, or promising to start a diet tomorrow, to stand tall, tuck your stomach in, and VOTE BRIDGET JONES FOR PRESIDENT!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Funniest Book I've Ever Read, 1 Jan 2000
This review is from: Bridget Jones's Diary: A Novel (Paperback)
I received this book as a Christmas present this year and although I had heard a lot about it I didnt know what to expect when I sat down to read it. Im not familiar with Helen Fielding as a writer and never really considered reading any of her work. But I was happily suprised with Bridget.I quite litrally could not put it down as I had it finished by the end of the day. And as soon as I got the chance I bought the sequel in hard back and also had that finished quickly as well.This book was one of the funniest books ever , Helen Fielding is a genius and very observant and had me roaring with laughter at the things Bridget would say. Anyone who has read it should go and buy the sequel, it also is excellent.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK But..., 9 April 2001
This review is from: Bridget Jones's Diary: A Novel (Paperback)
... the joke wears VERY thin. I found Bridget's charm had worn off by page 50 or so and 'though the book made me smile in places there were very few real big laughs for a book that's suppose to be the last word in humour. The best bit was when Bridget and her friends were bitching about men and what f***wits they all are, and then Daniel arrives and is SO charming. That was a fun moment but the rest of it was pretty lame. There are some much funnier writers out there - Sue Townsend in particular, and in chick-lit Sophie Kinsella ('Shopaholic')and Isabel Wolff ('Tiffany Trott'). But I'll still see the BJ film and guess that'll make me laugh more than the book did.

2.0 out of 5 stars Victim of over-hype, 4 July 1999
This review is from: Bridget Jones's Diary: A Novel (Paperback)
This book was not nearly as good as everyone has made out. In fact it was awful.
I cringed when I read it. Is this how thirty-odd year old women act? I wouldn't know I'm only twenty!
Some parts I did smile at but mostly I just wished it would end. I should have stopped half way through but I wanted to see if it got any better - it didn't.
If you want to read books about angst twenty or thirty-something women then there are better book out there. Try anything from Fiona Walker, Lousie Bagshaw or Janet Evanovich (my personal choice - and she's funny too!)
A glorified novelty diary. I much preferred her novel 'Cause Celeb'.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's OK To Worry, 16 May 2001
By A Customer
Helen fielding captures the esence of every woman whether we like it or not! yes all women worry about love, life and the size of their bottom, even if just in private. An inovative style of the times, influncing that of Arabella Weir, Jenny Collagan and Lisa Jewel, the dear diary update lets bridget become your friend. Bridget gives us the reasurance that all though we all want a carea and equalitly nothing beats the love of a good man , although she has trouble finding it. So grap a cold bottle of Chardonay, a packet of cigs and currle up on the sofa and be prepaired to seek affinity.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is life itself, i.e. stranger than fiction!, 14 Jun 1999
By A Customer
Frankly, last summer I have started reading this book with a pencil and dictionary - my aim was to get some contemporary English colloquials. However, very soon I lost every sense of time and found myself in three hours still sitting in the park in Dublin roaring with laughter and not paying attention to the inevitable Irish rain!
Recognizing myself and all my girlfriends from work back in Russia was sudden and unmistakable. Helen Fielding managed to put together a true psychological and social picture of a modern woman of a very certain type - not a Cinderella, of course, but obviously a hidden gem.
Fielding's heroine is endlessly vulnerable and impressively witty. She is unique and is a type in herself (in literature, I can only compare her to Scarlett O'Hara) but also combines all contemporary working girls with their little subtle "insanities" and dreams. How did the author manage this? This is amazing and causes admiration.
I was particularly charmed with the description of Bridget's speculations on the self-help books. This is so true - jumping from one advice to the other (very much like mixing diets!) and every time hoping wildly that it will immediately help!
These days we are all products (and victims) of mass culture and consumer cliches, and the author suceeded in showing internal struggle between just being and enjoying life and living up to a certain standard dictated by mass media.
And I can assure you as a "westernized" Eastern European, that this book is destined to become very popular in this part of the world due to its humanity, observation and humour. Thumbs up!

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down!, 10 Oct 2001
This review is from: Bridget Jones's Diary: A Novel (Paperback)
I first decided I really wanted to read this book when the film came out, but by the time I'd saved up enough money, I'd spent it, and lost interest.
Then my mum bought it. Read it. Didn't let me read it. So what did I do? Pinched it from her bedside cupboard, intended to read it once and put it back. The problem was, I read it about 10 times before even considering putting it back. I found myself not having the heart to put it back. It is so good! If you only read one book this year (or next year) make it this one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Go on, you know you want to buy it!, 14 Mar 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Bridget Jones' Diary (Paperback)
You don't have to have followed Helen Fielding's column of the same name in The Independent, nor do you have to have read Pride & Prejudice (or indeed The Diary of Adrian Mole) to enjoy this book - but if you have, you may laugh even more. There are enough novels about fabulously confident women strutting their stuff - it is refreshing to read about a character who has good days & bad days & who is no more of a Cosmo-perfect woman than the rest of us.
Another reader who was less than enthusiastic about this novel has asked: "I wonder, is Ms Fielding aware that a movement known as feminism occurred this century. Please, no more of this rubbish." This attitude is, regrettably, the sort of humourlessness which gives feminism a bad name; she doesn't have to represent all womankind, for goodness' sake! She's a well meaning, moderately insecure, middle class English lass in 90s London. She may not be the deepest character in fiction, but so what?
My mother, who has read only a handful of books in her life, loved this book. My wee sister, who hasn't got time to read & little patience with books, loved this book. My (male)flatmate loved this book. His sister did too. I've read more books than I've had hot dinners & I loved this one too. Go on, for heaven's sake! Add it to your basket already!

4.0 out of 5 stars ohmygoditsme !, 5 July 2001
By A Customer
Everyone wears bigs knickers at some point in their lives...everyone gets into drunken self pitying states and sings....everyone has cocked up at least one dinner party , and everyone has opened their mouth before putting their brain in gear....everyone can relate to this book! Anyone who hasn't done those things, and cannot relate to the book is either a) a liar or b) unnaturally perfect ! This book is SO cringingly accurate that you start to wonder weather its based on you !

4.0 out of 5 stars Warning: Laughter Pains Accompany This Book!, 24 July 1999
This review is from: Bridget Jones's Diary: A Novel (Paperback)
Be prepared for strange looks on the bus or train on your way to work. You will crease up with laughter at the most unexpected moments and be totally incapable of restraining your amusement. Bridgette Jones may be a fictional character but she is not far removed from a single person's reality as the millennium looms. She experiences the everyday insecurities of weight gain trauma's as well as the inevitable lonliness that is an integral aspect of being single whether male or female with today's contemporary lifestyle. Bridgette gives us a voyeuristic insight into her life. You go through all the emotional ups and downs with her perhaps even identifyiing some aspects of your own personal experiences. This book is fun verging on hysterical and should be read by men and women. It is not a tirade on the mediocrity of singledom but a celebration of the soon to be extinct 90's woman striving for independence and a career but being vulnerable and seeking warmth and companionship at the same time. As a consequence of this, Helen Fieldings book is not a bastion of intellectual stimulation but who cares? Bridgette is crazy but she is a believable character. Treat yourself to a good read and incidentally, if you don't have one already, get a diary of your own.

‹ Previous | 1 2 323 | Next ›

Bridget Jones's Diary: A Novel
Bridget Jones's Diary: A Novel by Helen Fielding (Paperback - 20 Jun 1997)
3.85