on 13 August 2005
As a woman and a mother i only have third party experience of the vaguaries of the willy. I also realise that the last person a boy wants to ask about his willy is his mum. Some things are just beyond the pale. SO i found this book and what a gem it is. The Boys are 9 and nearly 11. My husband vetted it first because i thought he'd have a better idea of what would be needed in the way of an owners manual being an owner himself. He spent two nights sniggering and giggling and then said it was perfect. Especially for the older boy. We think that the younger boy may just find some of it gross but children tend to read or listen to as much as they can handle then switch off. It is written in a non medical fashion but without any silly inaccuracies that may cause problems later. It also covers related areas such as hygene, the ettiquette of early physical relations with girls, kissing and mutual respect but in a relaxed inoffensive manner that a boy can understand and remember. I'll leave it on their bookshelf so they can dip into it as and when they need.
22 comments|227 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 July 1999
Nick Fisher has struck exactly the right note in that the book is both entertaining and informative. By writing it in a colloquial style, he avoids filling it full of medical terminology and covers all aspects of the topic in an honest way. I only wish that there had been a book like this around when I was embarking on the rocky road of puberty! I think that it should be required reading for every teenage boy and I hope that schools are aware of its usefulness in tackling the rumours and half-truths that punctuate so much schoolboy conversation on sexual matters.
0Comment|118 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 July 2009
Brought this because of the cover picture and previous reviews and very glad I did. A little advanced for my son at the moment so will put it away and give it to him in a few years. Suitable for at least 12/13 up but laugh out loud funny as well as informative. Read a couple of pages to my husband and we were both crying with laughter. The author obviously knows what he's talking about. Have only given it 4 stars as its not what you would call scientific but more of a handbook on how to live with a willy but full of letters from real teenagers with real questions that have been answered honestly.
on 17 February 2006
I bought this book a few years ago; far too soon to give it to my son. It sat on the bookshelf ever since and I've been amazed at the number of grown men who've picked it up and commented 'Well I never knew that'!
I've recommended and bought this for many of my friends' sons. It's not a replacement for upfront and honest chat about sex and growing up but its an invaluable help.
My son has had it for a while now and I've found it allows him to read in his own time about topics he may not want to ask about. It has also prompted questions and lots of discussion - especially as he just picks it up and opens it in random places!
on 6 July 2008
I bought this book for my 13 year old, what a well written funny book. It is written in an informative yet relaxed way that most normal teenagers will understand. Although we have a relaxed approach to answering sex questions there are some things a teenage boy just cant ask his parents, this book filled in the gaps. Buy it !
on 27 April 2005
I bought this book a few years back when i was a teenager, helped me a lot in explaining things I was still unsure of. I would happily recommend this to any lads out there who have any worries about whats happening down there in their boxers.
on 1 October 2006
This seems to be an excellent book for teenagers but I would definitely not give this book to an under 14 without carefully vetting the material he is reading. The book covers issues which would worry an adolescent lad but goes on to discuss performance issues and diseases in a lot of detail.
on 16 February 2008
I bought this book for my over inquisitive 11 year old son. How anyone could think it is suitable for children is beyond me, as a mum my son asks questions I can't answer so I bought this book to give me an insight and with the hopes of passing it on to him once vetted. The book is badly written for a start, there is a brief introduction to each section and then several letters to an Agony Uncle. A 14 year old boy worries that he'll be unable to get his girlfriend pregnant, another teenager contemplates suicide due to the size of his manhood, then there are sections on deep frenchie snogging and oral sex, also it suggests that it is normal to fantasise about your sister whilst masturbating!
77 comments|142 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 January 2010
Bought this book for my son who is nearly 14 and lives in a house full of women. Thought it might be a useful guide for him now he is well and truly pubescent, and that it must be an ok read for boys of his age after reading rave reviews from mothers of boys who are 10 and 11. However!!! After looking through this book I have had to put it away until my son is much more mature! It is FULL of advice on sex - and not just sex education - it is quite explicit!!! I would only recommend this book to boys who are older and MUCH wiser than my son is.
on 17 January 2011
This book is really good! I gave it to my son who is 10yrs old - a friend gave it to hers who is a little younger. It covers all the areas of puberty in a child friendly manner. It uses all the various names that are used for a 'willy'. Cartoon type drawings. Your child can 'dip in and out' of the book as they like. It was recommended to me- glad I purchased it!