4.0 out of 5 stars Strange and fascinating first novel

3.0 out of 5 stars Brimming with typos
Published 2 months ago by Suzerne

4.0 out of 5 stars Strange and fascinating first novel, 10 Nov 2001
This review is from: The Beautiful Visit (Paperback)
This is yet another coming-of-age novel, but don't let that put you off- the treatment is never less than original. A structural twist is added by the fact that the novel begins and ends with the heroine spending Christmas at the house of the same family- four years of the first world war have intervened, changing her radically. The themes of the novel include love, marriage, madness, war, boredom, female emancipation, families and class. Elizabeth Jane Howard blends loving physical detail with an atmosphere which is at times compellingly sinister and at others weirdly beautiful or cosily reassuring. It's fascinating to read this if you've read EJH's later novels- the complete ease and relaxed wittiness aren't quite there (although the novel is often very funny) but the talent is palpable.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite author's first book!, 7 Feb 2013
Barbara Bergmann (Claremont, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Beautiful Visit (Paperback)
Elizabeth Jane Howard, one of 20th-century England's most gifted writers, creates characters that stay with us forever.The Beautiful Visit is her first novel, written when she was in her mid-twenties. The poignant story of a lonely young girl, it carries the reader along with a heroine who reminds us of ourselves when we were young, vulnerable, and confused. Highly recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Beautiful Visit, 30 April 2013
A beautifully written novel with the characters well drawn and believeable. Elizabeth Jane Howard's prose is seemingly effortless and she furnished our imagination with her wonderful descriptions of places and people.

I really enjoy evrything I have read of hers so far; I shall be hunting down more! I can't understand why she is not 'current' and more widely enjoyed. Her own life is well woth reading and I recommend her autobiography, 'Slipstream' highly.

3.0 out of 5 stars Brimming with typos, 29 Jan 2014
My enjoyment of this novel was marred, on Kindle edition, by the scores of typos, in some cases several on one page. I don't know how this happens, whether it is poor proofreading or a technical problem. For example the word 'the' was frequently replaced by 'die' and there are many other oddities; sometimes I had to guess what the word was meant to be. So it is difficult to rate this book. There must be about a hundred mistakes in the Kindle version of this book, and although so many books these days have mistakes in them, this I think would be pulped if it were a paper version. Hasn't anyone else had this experience?

3.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely agree with Suzerne, 19 April 2014
I should enjoy this novel a great deal more if the publishers had not made such a complete hash of digitalising it. I can't stand the way publishers whinge and whine about e.books but are happy to profit from selling them when they have taken no trouble at all to produce a decent product. They have not done Elizabeth Jane Howard or their readers any favours with the production of this kindle edition.

1.0 out of 5 stars The most boring book ever., 8 Oct 2013
I only read it because I loved the cazaletts so much. Full of typos and deathly. The only good bit was,when the exceedingly dull heroine stays with the woman who wears a wig! Awful.

1.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Visit, 18 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Beautiful Visit (Paperback)
It was chosen as our book circle read. I found it to be very dated. Although I do appreciate it was Elizabeth Jane Howard's first novel written over 60 years ago. I have enjoyed her more recent books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kindle book, 24 Dec 2013
M. Reddy "mayred" (North East England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I am still reading this book, but sent for it, as I had previous read a series of Elzabeth Jane Howard's books, and really enjoyed them, as I am enjoying this one. May Reddy.

ARRAY(0xb33724b0)

The Beautiful Visit
The Beautiful Visit by Elizabeth Jane Howard (Paperback - 2 July 1993)
Used & New from: 0.01