4.0 out of 5 stars Words of inspiration and wisdom for every facet of life.
I first came across Kahlil Gibran when I found an extract from The Prophet in an anthology about friendship. The Prophet's description of friendship epitomises the strength and comfort one finds in a true and close friend and evokes the ambiance of such a relationship - warmth, sustanence, cherished time etc.
I instantly fell in love with Gibran's writing, and so...
Published on 18 Dec 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Prophet. Kahlil Gibran.
The book The Prophet is a beautiful bit of writing. This book is ok. It has the original illustrations in it. I hoped it would be nice enough for a gift, as the cover looked ok, but the format of the book is really that of a handbook, bit small and rather tight with the layout. So for reference its fine, to hold and enjoy its not really the one I would choose.
Published 17 months ago by andy

4.0 out of 5 stars Words of inspiration and wisdom for every facet of life., 18 Dec 2001
By A Customer
I instantly fell in love with Gibran's writing, and so was thrilled to find there was more. The Prophet's poetic descriptions of all aspects of life have been a joy and inspiration. I have often found just the right phrase or sentiment to capture a particular moment in my life and in the lives of people I love and admire.
I have owned several copies of The Prophet, but somehow always find someone I want to give it away to - it is the kind of book that I feel brings a blessing on anyone who takes time to look at life through the unique lens Gibran offers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Changing, 12 Feb 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Prophet (Paperback)
I first read this book at the age of 17, when trying to find a thought-provoking text for a school assembly. Not only did I find a relevant text, but I was drawn to read the rest of this amazing book. I bought my own copy a year later and have since bought more copies for family and friends. When I got married 18 months ago, my husband and I were able to turn to a passage from this book for a very special reading.
The book is written as a series of passages; the format is that of a "Prophet" answering questions on life. The book does not specifically refer to any religion but is extremely spiritual in nature. The passages give words of wisdom on all subjects from houses to children, from love to work, from trading to marriage. It is the sort of book that you can dip into at any time to find a thought for any situation. The passages are short but profound and leave your vision of this world (and the hereafter) subtly enriched.
I would recommend everyone to read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magic, 4 Jan 2005
This review is from: The Prophet (Paperback)
This is a magical book. The messages are simple and the cynical may criticise the book for that. However if you are prepared to let the book work it's magic, by re-reading sections again and again at different times and stages of your life it will get under your skin and change the way you go about things. It is not a book to read, it is a book to live. Buy it, read it and if you take nothing from it give it to a second hand book store, fete or boot sale, so someone else may come across the magic. Buy it !

4.0 out of 5 stars Compared to Most Out There Today, Extremely Deep, 30 Nov 2002
Bruce Kendall "BEK" (Southern Pines, NC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Prophet Pocket Edition (Hardcover)
This is one of the first (literary) books I recall reading. My mother kept a collection of Gibran's works that she often read. I was curious to see what attracted her, so I looked into them too ( I was either eight or nine at the time). I believe that was my first taste of spirituality and seemed at the time more relevant than what I was being force-fed by nuns in catechism class. Rereading Gibran now, I'm struck by the notion that Hesse must have been aware of these texts before he wrote Siddhartha. They contain many of the same themes: No one else can guide you on your path. You must select your own course. Preachers and prophets are a dime a dozen. True wisdom comes from within.
The prophet's teaching on love is particularly relevant to me at this stage of my life:
"For even as love crowns you so shall he crucify you. Even as he is for your growth so is he for your pruning. Even as he ascends to your height and caresses your tenderest branches that quiver in the sun, So shall he descend to your roots and shake them in their clinging to the earth. Like sheaves of corn he gathers you unto himself. He threshes you to make you naked. He sifts you to free you from your husks. He grinds you to whiteness. He kneads you until you are pliant; And then he assigns you to his sacred fire, that you may become sacred bread for God's sacred feast."
Look into these books. They may appear simplistic to the jaundiced eye, but they may also provide the inspiration you need to see you through life's travails

5.0 out of 5 stars A Special Present, 17 Nov 2008
This review is from: The Prophet (Hardcover)
You will simply love this new edition of Khalil Gibran's classic The Prophet. This is a hard cover copy with gorgeous Indian Summer colours and with Oriental prints on every page. The colours of the papar are also inspired by the Indian and Middle Eastern culture. A perfect Christmas or any special occasion present for that special person - and again here is my favourite set of lines from this insipiring and timeless book of wisdom:

On Beauty

Beauty is eternity gazing at itself in
a mirror.
But you are eternity and you are
the mirror.

Who would find a better lesson in self-love...

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a "Must have, should have, dont have? Get one!, 23 Aug 2002
Cheri "chezreiki" (Dudley, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Prophet (Paperback)
The language of this book is quite magical.As you read you can almost hear the voices asking "Tell us of...." and every time the answers delight and fascinate. The philosophy is simple yet the poetry intricate.
Gosh I love this book! As you gaze at the art work you again will be swept up into the world of questions and simple yet beautiful answers.
The prophet tells of love, friendship, parenting, crime and a good deal more....this book is a forerunner to the "conversations with God" series.
The Prophet is a masterpiece now and was then.
If you dont have it, then get it. Its a book to share with yourself and anybody you love...from children to parents...
Fantastic

5.0 out of 5 stars GUIDE TO LIVING, 2 Jun 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: The Prophet (Arkana) (Paperback)
MY LITTLE EDITION OF THE PROPHET WAS GIVEN TO MY HUSBAND AS A CHRISTMAS GIFT MANY YEARS AGO. WE READ IT TOGETHER IN BED AT NIGHT TILL IT WAS FINISHED. HIS FAVORITE PART WAS "ON CHILDREN". MY HUSBAND DIED LAST YEAR, AND WE READ HIS FAVORITE PASSAGE AT HIS FUNERAL, TO HIS CHILDREN AND GRANDCHILDREN. DURING MY GRIEVING, I BEGAN TO RE-READ THE ENTIRE BOOK....ON LOVE, MARRIAGE, GIVING, PAIN AND SORROW, AND SO ON AND SO ON....AND FINALLY, I GOT IT! IT IS THE ONE BOOK I READ DAILY BESIDES THE BIBLE. I EVEN READ IT OUT LOUD TO MY HUSBAND, IN HOPES THAT HE WILL HEAR THE WORD AND MY VOICE AND THE TIMELESS MEANING OF THE CONTENTS. IT WILL BE AT MY CHAIRSIDE ALWAYS, AND I HAVE JUST PURCHASED ANOTHER COPY FOR A FRIEND WHO HAS LOST HIS WIFE. IT HAS BEEN A GREAT COMFORT TO ME FOR A YEAR NOW.

5.0 out of 5 stars Deeper than you can imagine, 16 Jan 2009
L. Power "nlp trainer" (San Francisco) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Prophet Pocket Edition (Hardcover)
A prophet has waited twelve years in a coastal town for the ship that will bear him back to his homeland, which he misses.

Why he is there, why he is waiting, how he knows what he knows, and who he is is a mystery. As he departs the townspeople gather to wish him well. A local seeress who knows him best asks him to share his wisdom so that it will endure for generations to come.

So, he reveals his wisdom on love, birth, marriage, children, pain, talking, pleasure, death any so much more.

It is a profound work, and here is his advice on marriage so you may judge for yourself:

You were born together, and together you shall be forevermore.
You shall be together when white wings of death scatter your days.

Aye, you shall be together even in the silent memory of God.
But let there be spaces in your togetherness,

And let the winds of the heavens dance between you.
Love one another but make not a bond of love:

Let it rather be a moving sea between the shores of your souls.
Fill each other's cup but drink not from one cup.

Give one another of your bread but eat not from the same loaf.
Sing and dance together and be joyous, but let each one of you be alone,

Even as the strings of a lute are alone though they quiver with the same music.
Give your hearts, but not into each other's keeping.

For only the hand of Life can contain your hearts.
And stand together, yet not too near together:

For the pillars of the temple stand apart,
And the oak tree and the cypress grow not in each other's shadow.

Its not a little similar to the Tao Te Ching, where a border guard recognises Lao Tzu, and asks him to share his wisdom as he goes into exile. Written 2,500 years ago, and one of the most translated books in the world. The Tao contains many principles you can use in your everyday life, and if you're not thinking in ego based ways, your wisdom based thinking opens up..

If you like one book, you will love the other, so I recommend both. For the Tao, I recommend the Stephen Mitchell version.

I hope you find this review helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars short but insightful, 25 Jun 2006
Spider Monkey (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Prophet (Paperback)
This may be a short book, but it is full of insight. It is perfect to dip into at odd moment for that renewed spiritual focus or uplift, or just as good to read in one sitting. It is a classic with good reason and cuts to the core with it's deceptively simple style. There is much depth to this book to be explored and comes highly recommended.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving, 8 Dec 2002
This is his most well known book and if you read it you will understand why.
The book is about a 'prophet' who is about to leave a town, but before he goes the towns people ask him to answer some questions. The questions are those which we have all asked. The answers in my view are insightful and revealing for those who wish to delve a little deeper into their perceptions of life.
It is spiritual, but I do not believe religious beliefs or spirituality are pre-requisites to enjoyment of what I see as an eloquent and moving book.

Prophet
Prophet by Kahlil Gibran (Paperback - 12 April 1991)
4.79