5.0 out of 5 stars This is the book that hooked me for life!
Published on 16 July 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars I think I may be too British for this book
I really wanted to love this book, but sadly, I just couldn't. I think it might be because it uses Welsh myth: I grew up in Wales, and the flavour here just struck me as wrong. Somehow Welsh mythology gets a smell of Disney when you transport it to the USA or Canada. I don't know why. Perhaps because so many of the grimmer bits of Wales get left behind in transit...
Published on 16 Jun 2010 by Victoria Clare

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the book that hooked me for life!, 16 July 1999
This review is from: Moonheart (Newford) (Paperback)
10 years ago, a friend handed me a copy of MOONHEART with the command, "Read this...NOW!" I did and I've been hooked on Charles deLint ever since. Some parts of his work makes me wonder if he has a magic window that lets him see into my life. Charles is also very kind to his fans and WILL respond to email as much as he is able, which makes him one of the really good guys. Looking forward to his next book, -Forests of the Heart-

5.0 out of 5 stars A Truly Magical Book, 14 Jan 1998
This review is from: Moonheart (Newford) (Paperback)
In Moonheart, Charles de Lint proves himself to be one of the best urban fantasy authors. This book blends Celtic & Native American folklore with "real" life situations. The narrative grabs ahold of you from the onset and never lets go. The only regret I had was when I reached the last page of the book, and I realized I had reached the end. In all, it is one of my favorite all-time stories, and one that can, and should, be read time and time again without losing its magic or flavor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Urban Faerie at its very best!, 30 Oct 1997
This review is from: Moonheart (Newford) (Paperback)
This was the first De Lint I discovered, and I still feel that it is his finest work. His adept blending of contemporary Ottawa, music, magic, Celtic mythology as well as Native beliefs are what give this book its multi-level appeal. This novel was my first foray into the "urban faerie" sub-genre of fantasy, and led me to a number of other fine novels. If you like De Lint, I would suggest: Tam Lin by Pamela Dean
War For the Oaks by Emma Bull
Waking the Moon by Elizabeth Hand
and the Borderlands Series by Terry Windling and Ellen Datlow.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best Fantasy books I have ever read., 30 Mar 1999
This review is from: Moonheart (Paperback)
Moon heart is one of those books that you simply cannot put down once you have picked it up. I completely lost track of time. The storytelling was so good and the worlds are blended with such ease that anything seems real. I have read a lot of books of this genre, but rarely one this good.

5.0 out of 5 stars The sort of tale that never grows old; a *magnificent* story, 18 Jan 2000
This review is from: Moonheart (Paperback)
I bought this book several years ago, and I think I've read it something like 20 times by now and have recommended it to countless friends. That should really say it all! The characters are wonderfully flawed and human, and there's more than enough twists to the tale to keep the reader well hooked. I recently lost most of my paperbacks in a flood; this will be the first one I replace.

5.0 out of 5 stars Multi Orgasmic, 12 Sep 1999
This review is from: Moonheart (Paperback)
This was the first ever Delint book I bought and I'm still not sick of reading it. This man is one of the few writers who take you along on a rythm into his tale. The writing is lyrical, taliesin is totty and the story is just plain magic. There are a lot of awfully clever ideas in here, the house spirit being just one of them. I particularly like the ordanairiness of the characters in oppose to some god awful black dressed vampire wanna be stumbling into a crypt at night and discovering elves after three spliffs and a pint, which is what some urban fantasy tends to be. if there was more stuff like this on the market, more books would sell.

5.0 out of 5 stars Do NOT buy the Kindle version, 19 Oct 2013
Amazon Customer (Boston, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Moonheart (Kindle Edition)
I'm leaving this as 5 stars for the story which has been a favourite of mine for a long time. I recently bought the Kindle version which has quite a few editing errors which are very annoying. Spaces between words are missing and whole sections suddenly have a much wider left margin which makes the line length about 8 words.

If you can get the paperback I'd recommend sticking to that.

***** edited review

I've managed to stick with the errors for a while but now I've had enough and will be returning it. This many errors in a cheap book would be annoying; in a full priced one it's not acceptable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Fantastical! A majical mystery ride!, 12 Jun 1999
This review is from: Moonheart (Newford) (Paperback)
I think this book is as wonderful as anything Tolkien has written. The fantasy elements are pure majic. I recommend this to anyone wanting to escape this dimension for awhile!

4.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful tale of urban fantasy set in Ottawa, 6 April 1999
This review is from: Moonheart (Newford) (Paperback)
This book brings magic into your everyday life. Its characters are real and inspiring and it's one of those books that you're sorry to finish.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good work. I will read more of De Lint., 2 Feb 1999
This review is from: Moonheart (Newford) (Paperback)
I found the plot of the detectives to bring the story down somewhat, but it is still a five star read.
The mansion is truly a magical place. I would love to live in a house like this. A very well crafted fantasy.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Moonheart
Moonheart by Charles De Lint (Paperback - 8 Mar 1991)
Used & New from: 0.01