4.0 out of 5 stars Scarlett: The Sequel to Margaret Mitchell's "Gone With the W
Published on 3 Nov 2003 by Elle

3.0 out of 5 stars Probably worth reading
Published on 3 Jan 2001

4.0 out of 5 stars Scarlett: The Sequel to Margaret Mitchell's "Gone With the W, 3 Nov 2003
This review is from: Scarlett: The Sequel to Margaret Mitchell's "Gone with the Wind" (Paperback)
Like most of the other people who have reviewed this book, I loved GWTW and had to read the sequel whether it turned out to be good or bad, simply for the satisfaction of discovering what could have happened to Scarlett and Rhett. I found that the book was well written, for the most part keeping to a similar style as the origional, although towards the ending the characters did seem to act in a way that wasn't true to their origional characteristics. However, in reality I guess people would change over a length of time, and this book does stand on it's own as a good novel, and is definately worth reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars A book in it's own right - perhaps it should've been., 1 Jan 2006
I truly did enjoy this book, the love story is easy to lose yourself in, and the style of writing enables you to read easily, and for long periods of time without feeling the need to take a break. It has been mentioned in previous reviews that Mrs Ripley has not cptured the essence of Scarlet's character, and I would say this is true. Although she is the same, wanton, high-spirited woman with a devil-may-care attitude and an independant nature, the way she is presented is different. The story is interesting, lively, and heart-warming - I don't want to give it away, but it ends the way I think everyone wished it did in Gone with the Wind. However, I can't help but think that I woul've enjoyed it just as much, if not more, had this been a novel in it's own right, not a sequel - as I feel a comparison between the two books is useless. You can just feel when reading them, that they were written decades apart - so if you do read Scarlet, don't expect a sequel as such..... Just a wonderful tale between two people, who happen to be called Scarlet and Rhett Butler......

5.0 out of 5 stars So begins the journey of Scarlett O'Hara-Butler ......, 3 Dec 2003
For over two generations, Margaret Mitchell's novel Gone With the Wind and its 1939 movie version have endured as classics in the historical romance genre. GWTW has always been one of my favorite novels, not just because it's well-written but, like Mitchell, I am a daughter of the South and take pride in my family's history. I suppose I'm just a romantic at heart, but I have read Mitchell's saga of Scarlett O'Hara, Rhett Butler, Ashley Wilkes, Mammy, and long-suffering Melanie many times, and I believe GWTW is a novel that will endure the test of time.
Although Ms. Mitchell died in Atlanta before I was born and never wrote a sequel even though fans begged her to, the idea never died down, and in the late 1980s Margaret Mitchell's estate selected romance author Alexandra Ripley to write "Scarlett: A Sequel to Margaret Mitchell's Gone With the Wind." Beginning where GWTW left off, "Scarlett" tells a sprawling story about a young woman who lives by the motto: "Tomorrow is another day." Taking readers from war-ravaged Georgia plantation Tara to the Emerald Isle where Scarlett's roots lie. Ripley's novel continues with the tempestuous love affair between Rhett Butler and Scarlett O'Hara.
In the beginning, Ashley mourns the loss of his beloved Melanie....and how Scarlett rushes forward to keep Ashley from throwing himself in the grave of his wife...causing yet another scandal for Scarlett to endure. Apparently, the fiery Mrs. O'Hara-Butler has a lot of genteel Southern women's tongues a wagging! Moreover, she is still mourning the loss of her daughter Bonnie.
Now that Melanie is dead does Scarlett try to achieve her long awaited dream of being Ashley's wife or does she go and try get back the man she truly loves? Will she find her destiny across the Atlantic in her ancestral Ireland? So begins the journey of Scarlett O'Hara-Butler to win back the man she wants in her life beside her, loving and guiding her.
This is a good book to read. I enjoyed the journey of Scarlett from start to finish; I loved the many twists and turns in the plot, especially Scarlett meeting the O'Hara side of the family and her many adventures in the novel. I give this book five stars for Ripley's eye for detail and the telling of a very romantic tale. I say again if you are a romantic...this is a book for you!
Betty June Moore

4.0 out of 5 stars For all Gone with the Wind lovers everywhere, 17 Oct 2002
By A Customer
I eagerly anticipated reading Scarlett - the sequel to GWTW and I was not disappointed. I found that the beginning of Scarlett continued seamlessly from GWTW, however, during the middle part of the book Scarlett seemed to take on a different personality which I did not associate with the Scarlett of GWTW. Nevertheless, Scarlett is a fabulous book which I have read a few times now and I would recommend it to anyone - watch out for another excellent ending! I hope they write a sequel to the sequel!

3.0 out of 5 stars Probably worth reading, 3 Jan 2001
By A Customer
This weakly written sequel to Margaret Mitchells 1936 novel, Gone With The Wind, fairly satisfies previous readers curiosity to the cliff hanger ending to the original book. The ending to this book is somewhat closed, however it ends with the wanted effect of the two reunited again, notwithstanding struggles of the much beloved characters. Although not written with Margaret's historical and imaginative hand, this book was worth reading and does not spoil or disfigure the original work.

1.0 out of 5 stars I wouldn't call it a sequel to Gone With the Wind, 2 Jun 2011
If I had read this as a 'stand alone' book, I probably would have been merely disappointed, as I found it very slow moving, and the plot rather incredulous. However, as i read it as a 'sequel' to Gone With the Wind, it was devestating!!

It starts off as a rather bad attempt to mimic Margaret Mitchell's style of writing and character development - overstating cliches and 'tag' lines from the original story which is a little off-putting. However, once you've accepted that, you can at least try and enjoy the storyline, which I did until it goes off on a most bizarre and unlikely tangent! The plot becomes totally unrealistic; fans of the original will just sit there with their jaws dropping! You can't relly believe that Scarlett O'Hara would get up to half the stuff the author describes in the book - I feel that if this is being portrayed as a sequel, it should at least maintain the essence of the original characters, which in my mind this book fails to do.

After having led the story into a completely unlikely direction (during which, the author's own 'voice' and style start to come through, and the reader begins to realise that Ms Ripley is actually a very good story-teller, if she but hadn't chosen to annihilate this one!), this reader - personally - lost all interest in the plot, the story and the book

In sum; some things are better left alone, and the story of Rhett and Scarlett should have been.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad effort!, 2 Feb 2010
Alison F. Brunton "Alison" (Australia) - See all my reviews
Mitchell's sweeping epic is one of my all time favourite comfort reads and so, on finishing it for the umpteenth time I resolved to give the 'sequel' a look, mainly because I just felt I needed a little more. I sort of expected to be disappointed to an inevitable extent - and I was not wrong. Ultimately it just ain't the real deal - Ripley just isn't Mitchell. I state the obvious of course. However, aside from that, she did manage to draw me into the narrative with relative ease and I devoured the novel fairly quickly. It's not bad - it's just not as good as the original - it goes without saying really!
Ripley breathes life into Mitchell's characters - far more successfully with the major ones than the minor ones. Certainly Scarlett has spunk; Rhett has charisma and oozes charm. The whole enterprise would have failed dismally were that not the case. Minor characters like Ashley and the Atlanta crew however remain very one-dimensional and ultimately unconvincing. Ripley veers into melodrama and overindulges the soap opera element from time to time. That aside, she has successfully created an engaging, readable novel that, to a limited degree, provides fans of the original with a relatively satisfying second installment in the lives of Mitchell's famous characters.

1.0 out of 5 stars A huge disappointment, 10 Jan 2010
R. Gimenez Gonzalez (Madrid, Spain) - See all my reviews
I love "Gone with the wind", one of the best written books I ever read. Unfortunately, "Scarlett" has very little to do with it: characters have the same name but not the same personality they had in Mitchell's book, the plot is quite unrealistic and the style poor. It is outrageous it has been officially anounced to be the sequel of GWTW.

2.0 out of 5 stars Gone?, 1 July 2007
Emma Wrethman (Manchester UK) - See all my reviews
I've tried and tried again to read this book, and fail every time. Maybe I'll like it if I actually finish it, but I can;t get into it. I'm an absolute GWTW addict, I love the book, the film, and even own the huge poster, and I've watched and read the film and book over and over again and again! But this sequel is so dull, boring and monotonous! Parts are ok, and I enjoyed finding out what happened after the original, but I feel like I'm only reading because I have to, not because I want to!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Sequel that Actually Lives Up to the First, 10 Aug 2001
By A Customer
I encourage anyone who loved Gone With The Wind to read Scarlett; it's also for anyone who can't stand not knowing how the pair turned out. I think the beginnig is a little depressing but . . . you'll have to find out for yourself. I found it impossible to put down . . . my only problem with it is that Scarlett seemed to have suddenly grown a kind, loving heart (aside from how she treats India and some others from the "Old Guard"). Overall it's a great book and I highly recommend that everyone reads it.

Scarlett: The Sequel to Margaret Mitchell's "Gone with the Wind"
Scarlett: The Sequel to Margaret Mitchell's "Gone with the Wind" by Alexandra Ripley (Paperback - 12 Mar 1993)
Used & New from: £0.01