on 28 April 2002
This is an interesting book, although it dwells overly on methods employed in the British Army during the war. I bought it as a teacher aspiring to Deputy Headship and thought it might be useful - it has been up to a point. Although first published in 1993, most of the references are taken from the 60's and are applied mostly to business situations rather than schools. However, that said, it is a very user-friendly book and, despite it's shortcomings, I found it very readable.
on 19 March 2013
I found this book relaxing a read, for somebody that doesn't do a lot of reading I found I couldn't put the book down, great reading
on 27 May 2010
This is a really helpful and easy to read book, much better than many of the others I've read. Worth buying :o)
on 20 September 2006
John Adair is a recognised expert in the field of Leadership. He is definitely is an author worthy of your time but I would say not with this book.

For those already in a leadership role and with a fair bit of experience looking for guidance and steering, I would say look elsewhere (his 'How to Grow Leaders' for example). This book is aimed at beginners and gems of advice are few and far between.

The wartime anecdotes are probably the most entertaining bit. I found it hard work.
on 24 July 2014
A very helpful book for my research on leadership