5.0 out of 5 stars Peking by Anthony Grey - "Reflections", 2 May 2009
Jack Haslam "Traveller" (Galten, Denmark) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Peking (Paperback)
I know China quite well having worked there and visited most parts of the country over a period of more than 20 years. In particular I have visited many of the places mentioned in the book; both in Peking (Beijing) and along the route of the "Long March". I procured the book for its nostalgia value to me. Grey is a captivating author who researches thoroughly and in great detail, and his style of writing manages to bring people and places "alive". Apart from the geographical associations, Grey manages to provide a fascinating description of the nature, beliefs and behaviours of Chinese people. I enjoyed the book very much and recommend Grey to other readers. I ahve also read and enjoyed "Saigon" and Tokyo Bay" by the same author.

4.0 out of 5 stars Exciting and engaging view of China's 20th history, 7 Dec. 2014
I read this book because I was going on holiday to China and wanted to understand more about its recent history. It was much easier to read than I expected and I found it exciting and engaging. I am not in a position to judge the historical accuracy of the background, but it felt authentic and the details of 'the long march' undertaken prior to the creation of the People's Republic was very interesting. It also helped me to understand why so many of China's historic buildings had been . It is of course a novel and at times the story seemed a bit unrealistic and far fetched - but the plot devices provided really good mechanisms for linking events and groups of people into a lively and compelling narrative. The main protaganist is a flawed character and cannot sustain a relationship with his daughter - but we understand what he has been through and why he behaves as he does and it is hard not to feel sorry for him at the end of the book as his past is revealed in tragic circumstances. I would recommend this as a good introduction to anyone who wanted to understand more about China's history during the 2nd half of the twentieth century.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing dramatization of the facts. Gripping story, 4 Jun. 2014
I have read this book more than once and done my own research on the facts. Anthony Gray tells the story as if he was there with very few elaborations on the facts but it is not a dry documentary. Reading this book caused me to want to know more and to travel along the route of the Long March myself. It is a truly modern epic. I would love to see it made into a film if that were possible.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, 2 Nov. 2014
Kept me wanting more. Learned more a bout the Long March. Learned more about China and the Chinese. Great book

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 21 May 2013
This review is from: Peking (Paperback)
Excellent and very fast service. Price was compatable. Would recommend to my friends. I feel it ridiculous to have to write a set number of words.

Peking
Peking by Anthony Grey (Paperback - 9 Jun. 1989)
Used & New from: £0.01