4.0 out of 5 stars One to take on holiday - though maybe not a tropical island
The events in this book are based around five extremely rich, and spoilt women who travel with their husbands on a business trip to a fictitious tropical island. Whilst on the island the women witness their husbands being murdered by terrorists. The women flee to the jungle, quickly learning the art of survival.
It's obvious that a tremendous amount of research...
Published on 1 Nov. 2000

› See more 5 star, 4 star reviews
3.0 out of 5 stars Just ok
Good but too long and rather repetative. Needs better character development. Storyline is quite predictable and I would have
prefered a more interesting ending
Published on 8 Mar. 2013 by Eleanor Taggart

› See more 3 star, 2 star, 1 star reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, 22 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Savages (Kindle Edition)
Loved this book - it was really captivating - although it took a couple of chapters to get to know all of the different characters they really do come to life later in the storyline. I have to say though that I was a bit disappointed with the ending - I like things to be neatly finished off and this left some things unanswered in my mind !!

4.0 out of 5 stars Savages with the prologue, 2 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Savages (Kindle Edition)
I have to admit I am not a great fan of Ms Conrans and her many books featuring Hollywood type, glitzy, glamour, rich, spoilt, ballsy women. Not because I don't admire these kinds of women but because they are just not my cup of tea. The only book I had previously read by Ms Conran was Lace which to me is one of the best books I have ever read. The story woven around the characters in that book was just amazing and so well crafted with a most unusal and very different, to the usual run of the mill, story line. Savages, on the other hand (with the prologue) jumped out at me from the adverts because of the cover, really colourful and bold and the blurb on the review was a little intriguing so I decided to give it a go. I have to say that I really enjoyed it, well written although predictable in places, fantastic research with a group of very brave women going from fabulous wealth to absolutely nothing. The survival of these women is what the story is all about and they go through hell literally to survive. With LOTS of twists and turns with LOTS going on in each chapter it was a race to keep up! I routed for them, cried with them, screamed at them and wanted to slap a couple of them here and there just to wake them up! This was on the edge of my seat stuff and I was really satisfied with the ending although a little sad. I suggest Savages with the prologue which is cheaper than this one but it sets the tone for the whole book. I have only given it 4 stars because Lace holds the magical 5 in my eyes! Highly recommended, thank you Shirley for a fantastic read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and will help you survive a tropical island, 11 April 2013
This review is from: Savages (Kindle Edition)
I stole this from my mum when I was a kid and I wanted to see whether or not I still enjoyed it as an adult. And I do. It's exciting, the characterisation is great and it's very easy to be absorbed by the plot.

And another plus side - it teaches you how to survive should you ever get marooned on a tropical island.

3.0 out of 5 stars Just ok, 8 Mar. 2013
prefered a more interesting ending

5.0 out of 5 stars kindle book savages, 16 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Savages (Kindle Edition)
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book.It was full of tension and excitment and so was a book i read very quickly and will read again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Savages, 25 Nov. 2012
Ms. B. Browne - See all my reviews
This review is from: Savages (Kindle Edition)
I have just finished this book, having read Crimson and Lace beforehand. They were excellent but this book surpasses even them.
Shirley is a brilliant author and I wish she would write some more. The only downside for me was it ended rather abruptly. I would have enjoyed seeing how they got on with their lives when they returned and see if Harry and Annie got married etc. A well researched, interesting book that will keep you reading til the end and as usual with Shirley, a long book that you won't want to put down. Fabulous - read it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Savages-good read, 22 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Savages (Kindle Edition)
One of the best books I have read in a while. The story is gripping and keeps you on tenterhooks almost throughout the book. The author has a good style of writing.

5.0 out of 5 stars I could not put this book down!!, 9 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Savages (Kindle Edition)
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I bought it for my kindle after reading the reviews on Amazon and after seeing it recommended in a magazine. It gripped me from the start and I was eager to see how the characters survived what happened to them - without giving anything away!!

My only disappointment was the ending. I had hoped for more following all the build up. I would still recommend it though. It was sad, funny, moving, gripping, interesting and so much more.

2.0 out of 5 stars condition of this book, 22 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Savages (Paperback)
Although all pages are intact, they will fall out the minute you start to turn the pages, as I looked through it they were becoming loose. The spine is in good condition, however, the front cover is creased and the pages are yellow. Sorry I was quite disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Conran, 14 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Savages (Paperback)
Love this book! Shirley gets into the heart and soul of the women in this gripping adventure. Corporate wives in the thick of the 80s - what a place 'not' be! Un-put-downable; perfect for the beach, although you may think twice about where paradise really is.

Savages
Savages by Shirley Conran (Paperback - 22 July 1988)
Used & New from: £0.01