5.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking and highly compelling
A wonderfully strange, original, and very compelling novel. It's written in what I consider quite a poetic style - not something I usually enjoy, so for the first few pages I expected not to like it. But this is a book that gets under your skin. It's incredibly readable - unputdownable in the second half. The emotions are raw and powerful, the brutality heartbreaking...
Published on 6 Oct. 2009 by BookWorm

3.0 out of 5 stars The Bone People
I bought the book to read for our Book Club as someone had recommended it. I found it quite a hard book to get into with pages of descriptive sequences and poetry, that for me, got in the way of the actual story. The characters are all quite difficult individuals and it does make quite a painful read at times and challenges perceptions about what is right and wrong...
Published on 2 July 2010 by CateSaint

5.0 out of 5 stars Extraordinary!, 25 July 2011
Wow, tough!! I would strongly recommend this, it is wonderfully written, but it is only for those with a strong constitution!! A beautiful and very human tale, exposing the most beautiful and the ugliest traits within man. I found it a very tough read at times, but couldn't put it down either. Try it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars truly stunning, 24 July 2006
Mrs. S. Senior (derbyshire, uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Bone People (Paperback)
I first read this book at sixth form, and whilst the enforced reading I endured there seemed to breed a natural ill will against the titles we were given, the Bone People rose above this to become one of my favourite books of all time. testament to this is the fact that, having just re-read it for a tenth time, it is the first book I've felt compelled to review.

The characters capture you, the language seduces you - the whole thing just blows your mind. A worthy booker winner. Read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every time you read it you will discover something new...., 13 Nov. 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: The Bone People (Paperback)
A rich reading experience, with characters so real it is sometimes painful to read, and always totally engrossing. I re-read the Bone People every few years and am always discover more in it. I recommend this book to all my friends - especially at difficult times in their life. Somehow reading it is a balancing, re-rooting experience - can't explain how, you'll just have to read it! Persevere through the opening chapter which is quite obscure....

5.0 out of 5 stars A deep insight into human nature, 19 Jun. 2007
Wordsworth (Edinburgh, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Bone People (Paperback)
As it's been a couple of years since I read this, and my memory for detail is not so great; I can offer a review of the aspects of this book that most struck me at the time and have stayed with me since.

Firstly, I remember it being quite unlike anything I had read before, and I have read nothing like it since. The narrative style of first-person observation interspersed with thought in English and Maori is difficult to describe (I am failing miserably here!) and took a while to get used to, but lends the book a unique feel. (By the way, there is a handy Maori - English translation guide at the end which I failed to spot until I had finished the book.)

Secondly, I remember that the characters are drawn with exceptional love and understanding. Without wanting to spoil the story, I found myself empathising with them and forgiving actions and attitudes that I would normally consider incomprehensible and unforgivable.

I think I shall have to read it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book to be read and re-read time and time again, 22 Jan. 1999
By A Customer
Keri Hulme writes brilliantly of the lives of three people; a reclusive woman, an angry man, grieving for his dead wife and child, and a boy who's optimism in the face of absolute hardship will move you to tears.
Ms Hulme's style takes a little getting used to, but once you are accustomed, there is no putting the book down. She is able to weave together the lives of these three unusual characters with the art of a master storyteller.
This the type of book that, once read, will be cherished for life and each time it is re-read, new aspects of the story will be revealed. A great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Bone People, 6 Dec. 2011
This review is from: The Bone People (Paperback)
This book was recommended to me by my daughter as a "must read" before holidaying in New Zealand. It certainly proved to be the best book I have read in years. It is a story that makes you look into yourself and your own attitudes towards others and question your feelings. If this is not clear, read it!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars The Bone People, 26 Jan. 2014
This review is from: The Bone People (Paperback)
I bought The Bone People as is was recommended by a friend who said it was one of the books that has been re-read many times over the years. I have just started to read this an so far have found it bit difficult to to get into, but interesting so I will continue to read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worthy of its Booker Prize win, 6 Mar. 2014
Crackdown (Knighton, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Bone People (Paperback)
This book won the Booker Prize several years back now.

And it has lost none of it's ability to draw you into an amazing culture and its people.

This is a book that I will be picking up and re-reading for many more years to come.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Bone People, 3 Feb. 2014
This review is from: The Bone People (Paperback)
Found this interesting and the language is colourful, poetic at times. It seems quite autobiographical. Found it absorbing but it stretched credulity a bit towards the end. Don't believe it would have had a happy ending

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful, profound, infuriating and well worth reading, 9 Aug. 2011
Stephen Carr "ardvaark5" (Bradford, UK) - See all my reviews
This is an emotionally powerful novel which, fundamentally, is an extended illustration of the W. H. Auden line that we must love one another or die.. The novel is a graphical depiction of the process of living with other people, accepting both the joy and pain of commitment, or rejecting relationship and the demands it brings. It's a terrific read, though untidy, sometimes ragged, and not always very plausible. It's also an impressive depiction of Maori culture, in its mixed modern existence. This is a demanding book, sometimes a bit infuriating and you may well feel like banging a few heads together, but well worth the effort.

The Bone People
The Bone People by Keri Hulme (Paperback - 14 Mar. 1986)
Used & New from: £0.01