5.0 out of 5 stars Know Your "Selves" Better
As most people can guess by the title, the "inner game" of tennis is the game that takes place iin the mind of the player and is played against barriers such as nervousness, self-doubt, etc.

Published on 17 Jun 2010 by tennismom

1.0 out of 5 stars So boring
I can see that his idea is ok, but I got it after a few pages. He stretched it out to a book by repeating himself over and over. I couldn't even finish it.
Published 11 months ago by Kirsty

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Know Your "Selves" Better, 17 Jun 2010
This review is from: Inner Game of Tennis (Paperback)

To gain clarity on the mental problems in tennis, the book looks at the concepts of "Self 1" and "Self 2". Self 1 is the name that is given to the conscious ego-mind which likes the tell Self 2, you and your potential, how to hit the ball and play the game. Or, to put it another way, Self 1 is the "teller" and Self 2 the "doer". I found this to be an interesting idea, as we have all caught ourselves talking to ourselves or have seen others talking to themselves during a game. If you ask someone who they are talking to, they will usually say "I'm talking to myself." This, of course, implies that there are 2 "selves", "I" and "myself"- and so is born the idea of Self 1 and Self 2. Pretty astutue observation in my opinion.

Now according to the book, to achieve peak performance, the key is to resolve any lack of harmony between the two selves, as it is the contrary thinking of Self 1 which causes interference with the natural abilities of Self 2. This requires the learning of several inner skills, such as the art of letting go of self-judgements, letting Self 2 do the hitting, recognizing and trusting the natural learning process, and so on- which is what much of the books spends discussing.

I highly recommend this book for anyone who plays tennis (or any other sport for that matter) as it does a great job in dealing with the fact that many of our difficulties in tennis are indeed mental in origin. Other helpful books for tennis players I've come across include Treat Your Own Tennis Elbow and Treat Your Own Rotator Cuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply very useful, 11 July 2009
This review is from: Inner Game of Tennis (Paperback)
The book is fundamentally introducting some very simple concepts that will probably explain a lot about why as tennis players, many of us just don't progress and have uncontrolled performances - 5 min of genius, 20 min of totally rubbish game, great practice session, then fear in match etc...all influenced by the mind and the Self1 (to discover in the book).
The net result for me after reading the book (I apply the simple tips of the book):
- I enjoy myself more when playing
- I win more matches
- My tennis is more liberated
- I am not anymore an abnoscious person on the court when I miss points (actually, I am super calm now)
I saw a review which gives a poor score to this book and I can actually understand it somehow since in reality, once you understand the concepts explained, one could argue, you don't need 130 pages or so to develop on them, but I think it is a bit harsh to rate it like that and the book is well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Book On How To Handle The Major Aspects Of The Game, 28 July 2002
Astore Stargazer (Lancashire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Inner Game of Tennis (Paperback)
If there are many of you out there that are like me, then you can be forgiven for being very sceptical about learning from a book rather than the more conventional typical coaching methods, however this book differs from all the others I have read, and also gives you the advantage on the most important aspect of the mental side of the game.
Before I read the book I was having a lot of trouble with keeping my mind focussed when things didn't go my way, I would get frustrated and more often than not my tempor would get the better of me time and time again. However after reading the book my tennis pals noticed a huge difference in my temprement, and I was channelling my frustration into determination. But the book also demonstrates ways of improving your all round game in the simplist terms and I found that I learned more from the book than I was learning from my qualified coach from serving to backhand its all here and for the price it is a true bargain, the book isn't as expensive as some that are out there but it is clearly more effective as it really focusses on the mental game and explains it in a way that would put most of the best coaches to shame. If you keep smashing your tennis racket like me then look no more and buy this book immediately because it is a true bargain.

5.0 out of 5 stars constructive helpful, 8 Mar 2013
A very interesting way of explaining how to perform in a more constructive way even if you cannot stand tennis at all

5.0 out of 5 stars Let go of your conscious mind and trust your body to perform, 11 Nov 2011
A. Grovestock-thompson (Aberdeenshire, Scotland) - See all my reviews
I do not play tennis but read this book because some horsemen recommend it. I found it useful as the book explains how good our body is at computing and calculating what it needs to do to perform certain actions - such as a tennis stroke or for me riding a particular movement or working with my horse on the ground. It explains how our conscious mind gets in the way, sometimes by thinking we are not good enough or piling on pressure to perform as our ego interferes. Our conscious mind wants to dissect how we do some physical action and this is enough to affect our natural game and ability. I am very guilty of over analysing things so am trying to be more in the moment and trusting my body to get it right - shutting my conscious mind out is not easy. I would recommend this book for anyone wishing to play a sport or instrument as it may help you to stop micro-managing aspects of your game or playing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for tennis, 3 May 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Inner Game of Tennis (Paperback)
My principle sport is Table Tennis, I don't play tennis at all. Nevertheless I have found the concepts in this book very helpful and easy to follow. Having put some of the author's principles into practice I am now much less prone to defeat by so-called "poorer" players. In the past I have played matches where (for seemingly inexplicable reasons) my game almost literally fell apart. This happens much less frequently and never to the same degree as before. My play is now much more consistent. Although I am still not a world beater this book has undoubtedly been a great help. The book's contents are simple to understand and not too difficult to implement. Re-read every couple of months for maximum success. It's one of the cheaper books on this subject so the decision to buy is not too painful. I heartily recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Settle that inner argument !, 14 Nov 2000
This review is from: Inner Game of Tennis (Paperback)
If you are that person berating yourself for missing an easy smash, or it seems that you are forever trying to goad yourself into being better, faster, quicker etc. - then reading this book will certainly bring some welcome relief. It gives a valuable lesson in how to relax and take let yourself perform without hindrance - something that can help us in every avenue of life.
It is a subtle, engaging, non-preaching, compelling read. For anyone who likes competition, find out not only how to be a better competitor, but also how to get more enjoyment out of it. Superb.

4.0 out of 5 stars A book for ALL coaches not just tennis, 1 Mar 2007
K. Mcdougall "keithmc" (Wokingham, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Inner Game of Tennis (Paperback)
I was recommended this book not to improve tennis (I don't play at all) but to improve my understanding of coaching and improve my own coaching skills.

The book is written by a tennis coach and is of course about tennis, however it is more than that. The skills and principles of the inner self and the competing elements of `I' and `myself' can be applied to all types of coaching whether that be sports, lifestyle or executive.

If you are a coach or want to become a coach this is a great book to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars I pleasure to read,, I couldn't stop, 2 April 2000
This review is from: Inner Game of Tennis (Paperback)
This great book will make positive changes to almost any tennis player. It is almost my bible. It is about "letting" your body play tennis and not interferring with the bodies natural learning process. READ IT!

4.0 out of 5 stars inner game of tennis, 15 Dec 2013
This review is from: Inner Game of Tennis (Paperback)
Book arrived in good condition as described. Still working through it, but a good coaching book regardless of the sport.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xa7b2133c)

Inner Game of Tennis
Inner Game of Tennis by W Timothy Gallwey (Paperback - 5 Sep 1986)
5.82