on 25 October 2002
I bought this book when it was reprinted in 1988 and it has been an invaluable source of reference for me ever since. I have been playing guitar for 25 years and if you have spent any length of time at all playing the guitar you will know that you are never finished learning. My copy of the book is a little dated now in some sections but the main section 'Playing the Guitar' is referenced on a regular basis. It helps me to recall scales, check up on music theory and gives me material to practice.
I would recommend the book to anyone at any stage of learning to play the guitar.
By far the best guitar book I have ever owned. I've been through three copies which have eventually found their way into other people's collections. This is a bright blend of equipment, players, maintenance techniques, playing technique, theory, chords, scales, practice and gigging advice.

The presentation is gorgeous and an easy flick-through, but the information itself is unbelievably compact. A friend and I once spent a year mastering a technique which is described in just three charts (it's the pull-off arpeggio, if you must know). The section on scales covers in three pages more than many books cover in their entirety, getting you past the usual major, minor and modes into the chromatic, whole tone, diminished and even the Hungarian minor.

Hard to get these days, including the alternative, more recent edition (which I've also owned and lent out), but my highest recommendation to any serious guitarist.
on 19 June 2009
simply the best book written for guitarists. Everything you are ever likely to need is in there, the scale and chord dictionaries are incredibly extensive. I've been playing for forty years and I've had my copy for about thirty years,( From John Menzies In Liscard, now sadly gone)and now need to replace it as it's falling to bits and it still gets refered to on a weekly basis, and am buying another copy. If you only want to buy one book for the guitar, just make it this one.In fact if if you are planning to buy a few books for the guitar, just buy this one.you dont need any others.
on 17 September 2013
I had the original edition back in 1982 and devoured every page as a novice player, the book literally fell apart it was used that much and many years later repurchased it and it's like meeting an old friend after a long time apart.

Many sections are outdated but still informative especially on recording equipment however the explanation of effects and amplifiers is very useful.

Where the book really excels is in the basic maintenance of guitar and especially all of the theory from your basic open chords to complex rhythm construction and modal playing and techniques and beyond.

The chord dictionary at the back is superb - with a clarity I've yet to see repeated with chord spelling detailed and optional notes and inversions make this book even more invaluable.

Just buy it!
on 10 April 2013
An old book but for guitar players amateur and advanced its incredibly useful. Mostly for the extensive chord charts at the back of the book. Not so common in books now the charts cover many inversions of each chord. There are some interesting factual references to guitar hero's plus some useful practical tips on guitar repair, maintenance etc. Some of the theory gets a bit heavy in places and there are more straight forward ways of explaining Modes etc but well worth the £2 I paid for it (I bought 3)
on 23 June 2014
I bought another copy of this wonderful book for my daughter who is learning the guitar. My original is still with me and is at least 20 years old. Everything you need to know about the guitar - styles, construction, strings, etc. plus music theory is in there. Brilliant book and I would recommend 100% to anyone wishing to learn how to play the guitar in a range of styles.
on 9 February 2014
this book is great, it is my bible, everything you ever wanted to know about guitars, from setting them up ( which iS necessary with chinese guitars), to reading music and tab, songs, licks, how to set up amps, just a myriad of stuff, i cant recommend it more
on 29 March 2013
I had a copy of this book some time ago, but must have lent it to someone who didn't return it, so I bought this copy to replace it. It is a very useful handbook to have in your library, if a little dated now. I would still recommend it as a good buy.
on 22 January 2014
This book is one of the best guitar books you can have on your bookshelf,It is a constant source of information.It gives example of just about every aspect of the guitar with a comprehensive guide to cord tabelature.
on 29 April 2015
It was for my Husband who thinks its Brilliant.At the price I bought it I still cannot believe it.Excellent.