5.0 out of 5 stars Still going strong

Published 4 months ago by Sara P

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Still going strong, 10 May 2004
D. D. Wilson "spawnee" (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wild Flowers of Britain: Over a Thousand Species By Photographic Identification (A Pan Original) (Paperback)
I've had a copy of this book since I was a young child. Back then I found it easy to use after walks in the country with my parents, to indentify all the flowers and plants that I saw. I don't recall ever seeing a plant in the wild that I could not identify using Roger's fantastic photography and descriptions. To this day, now that I am 29, I still find his book relevant. I still look through it from time to time, even when I haven't been out "into the sticks" just for mere pleasure. Excellent!

4.0 out of 5 stars A really nice and simple book for identification, 29 April 2009
On opening this for the first time I was initially disappointed. Basically it's just page after page of photographs of plants, most of which have been picked/uprooted and laid out for the camera. I wasn't sure how I'd go about identifying anything short of leafing through everything page by page until something looked "right".

As it turned out, it was surprisingly easy to use. I saw a couple of things I didn't recognise, took a picture and when I got home checked the book. The pictures are arranged by time of year - so, being early (April) I focussed on the April/May section and located likely candidates within a few moments. It also has references to other plants that look similar so you can check those to make sure you've got the right one. A real pleasure to use.

A couple of things to note though. First, some of the pictures are quite dark or the plant is small so detail is lacking. I think it would be tricky to use this for more "advanced" identification. Second, it's fairly big - about A4 size - so you can't really just slip it in your pocket when you go out. Finally, the text detail on the plant is very basic - just a few sentences.

Overall I'm really glad I got this though, it's quick and easy to use and doesn't feel academic or over-complicated. It's good for basic identification, but I think if something more detailed or comprehensive is needed you might want to consider another book, maybe "The Wild Flower Key" by Francis Rose.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy-to-use book, 16 May 2008
I am a complete dullard when it comes to any kind of plant and tree identification.

Often identification is not helped by the context in which the photogrpah is taken: sometimes times against a background of other unrelated foliage and often without any sense of scale.

I recently picked up my mother's copy of this book in order to identify a plant (greater burdock) that I had seen in a friend's garden. I was so impressed that I was positively able to identify it from this book that I have now ordered my own copy together with a Tree book by the same author.

I thoroughly recommend this book to anyone with even a passing interest in wild flowers.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best wild flower identification guide written!, 5 Sept. 2000
By A Customer
This is the first book that the budding wildflower enthusiast must have on their shelf! The photographic illustrations are brilliantly clear leaving little doubt upon identification.

5.0 out of 5 stars wild flowers of britain, 22 Oct. 2005
By A Customer
Had this book since it was first published in 1977.Never failed to identify anything using it.Super reference book in my opinion. Just ordered it for school use.

5.0 out of 5 stars A pleasant surprise!, 9 Jun. 2011
I chose this book after reading other people's recommendations and would also very happily recommend it to others.
Having actual photographs is VERY helpful compared to just coloured illustrations - I like the way the flowers are listed from January - December so you know roughly what to expect to see when you're out and about in any particular month.
Having the date when the particular photo of any given wild flower was taken was also useful.
It may be an old book (1977) but it is by no means old-fashioned and puts more modern guides to shame.
It is a big book (A4 size)so not so portable but has alot in it and certainly won't disappoint the keen amateur - i.e.me!

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite plant identification book, 23 May 2011
This series of books are some of the best identification guides you will find. Good clear pictures and concise descriptions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book, 8 July 2010
The best flower guide I've seen. I use it all the time, the others just stay on the shelf until the odd time I find a flower I can't immediately identify using this book. The plants are laid out in order of when they 'appear' or flower - this makes using the book extremely easy to use. A definite 'must' for anyone interested in identifying the flowers they see while 'out and about'.

5.0 out of 5 stars MUST HAVE., 13 July 2009
Peter Vincent Hoffmann "PH" (On the farm. Suffolk UK) - See all my reviews
This is my third copy. And still (after 20 years or so) my main tool for identifying the local flora!

3.0 out of 5 stars a very good book in very bad condition, 17 Sept. 2014
A very clear and easy guide,but although described as in good condition, the copy I got had most of the pages towards the back, including the index, stuck together and/or ripped apart. I have to admit It was very cheap, but I've bought books at the same price and they really were in good condition. This is for information, not to complain, as I can still use it for most things.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›