on 23 March 2015
Not very complicated but still an entertaining read. Basically it’s good guys versus bad guys as Detectives Carella and Kling try to piece together who is behind a mass murder and prevent a gangland war. Some of the satire and Nixon references are a bit dated but the police procedure and the detectives handling of the case is well told. I was hoping for a dramatic twist but the only confusing thing about the book is the cover as all of the main characters are white.
on 5 January 1999
This book is very close to my heart because it was the first 87th Precint novel that i have read. And only from the first few pages I was absolutely hooked and laughing my self silly. Mcbain like in his other 87th Precint Novel 'SEE THEM DIE' tackles uncompromisingly the gang scene. The many colorful and gritty characters in this book keep us spellbinded. From the hookers to the dope fiends, from the gangsters who promise to reek havoc to the detectives who swear to protect, from all the small aspects of street life to the major issues of love and honour, if you haven't read a Mcbain novel, this one will not dissapoint. It's a feast to wallow in. Just enjoy.
on 2 April 2015
Funny book to read didn't really understand the story an the ending left me confused as did the whole book don't know if I would read anymore of his
books.
on 23 July 2015
McBain never fails to deliver a good book!! In this one - in a way which is new to me - McBain writes in the thoughts of the president of the gang in such a way that he appears to be justifying all his brutality and killings as a service to the community!! I would recommend this book.
on 8 February 2014
Hail to the Chief is another suspenseful story from the wonderful Ed McBain. The boys of the 87th perform their magic once again.
Have to admit - I'm obsessed with these guys. I haven't yet read all the 87th novels - I'm going to be sad when I have. What am I saying? I can start all over again.
on 13 June 2015
However many books are in this series equates to the number I have read ! The characters are more like old friends .The bulk of these books were written in the 50"s but in no way are they dated . ANYTHING written by Ed McBain promises an engaging , gripping yarn !
on 25 April 2015
As all Ed Mc Bain books 'Hail to the chief' is absolutely top notch. It is fast moving intrigue that kept me enthralled. Another great from Ed!
on 17 August 2015
I read an Ed McBain book years ago, then none until now. To be honest, it's only the second book I've ever thrown away and I read several books a week. The plot lacked any meaningful description and the text leapt from one scene to another without so much as a paragraph break. If you are tempted to read this - don't. I thought it was absolute drivel and typical of an author who has to turn out multiple novels.
on 7 August 2015
Worst Ed McB yet. He tried another style, telling the story in diff voices but didn't pull it off
on 8 October 2015
I'm just in the middle of reading 1 of 6 Ed McBain books and am finding the characters quite charming and amusing.This book was quite gripping and well written-good descriptions too!