4.0 out of 5 stars riveting plot, crackling dialouge, a classic installment.
Published on 5 Jan 1999

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
I have read most of the books in this series and until this one -have thoroughly enjoyed them all. This book misses out much of the smart dialogue that makes the 87th precinct books so good. I found the long excerpts of the villains statement running throughout the book tedious.
Published 1 month ago by Sue Morris

4.0 out of 5 stars riveting plot, crackling dialouge, a classic installment., 5 Jan 1999
By A Customer
This book is very close to my heart because it was the first 87th Precint novel that i have read. And only from the first few pages I was absolutely hooked and laughing my self silly. Mcbain like in his other 87th Precint Novel 'SEE THEM DIE' tackles uncompromisingly the gang scene. The many colorful and gritty characters in this book keep us spellbinded. From the hookers to the dope fiends, from the gangsters who promise to reek havoc to the detectives who swear to protect, from all the small aspects of street life to the major issues of love and honour, if you haven't read a Mcbain novel, this one will not dissapoint. It's a feast to wallow in. Just enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars another great 87th story, 8 Feb 2014
This review is from: Hail to the Chief (87th Precinct) (Paperback)
Hail to the Chief is another suspenseful story from the wonderful Ed McBain. The boys of the 87th perform their magic once again.
Have to admit - I'm obsessed with these guys. I haven't yet read all the 87th novels - I'm going to be sad when I have. What am I saying? I can start all over again.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 27 Oct 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars another good one from Ed mcbain, 23 Nov 2014
another good one from Ed mcbain, just a pity there won't be more in the series, with steve carella and bert kling the two characters I like the most.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 9 Nov 2014
very good read

Hail to the Chief (87th Precinct)
Hail to the Chief (87th Precinct) by Ed McBain (Paperback - Sep 1975)
Used & New from: £0.01