4.0 out of 5 stars South African horses lead to goldmine trouble...
Published on 30 Jun. 2010 by Henk Beentje

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointed
The sample chapter was excellent so I went ahead and bought it.
The book as usual was fast attention grabbing writing as we expect from Dick Francis. However by halfway through I had become so disillusioned by the gross typo's and the truncating of the plot that it was only through gritted teeth I finished it.
I am a great promoter of Amazon as a service but...
Published on 15 Sept. 2012 by T. J. Le Mare

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars South African horses lead to goldmine trouble..., 30 Jun. 2010
Henk Beentje "Henk Beentje" (Kew, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Smokescreen (Paperback)
The book: Edward Lincoln, son of a stable hand, has made it - he is a successful film star. When a friend asks him to go to Sout Africa, where the friend's horses are not running well, he accepts and travels to Johannesburg. He meets a lot of people, but who is responsible for the bad running, and why? And then the troubles spread - to himself. The scenes he has been filming earlier become a horrible reality...

My opinion: Francis' 11th thriller, first published in 1972, is tautly written, has got good atmosphere, well-drawn people, and a complicated plot that will leave you guessing. Bouts of tension, good detecting; but as the hero is happily married, there is no romance - something that makes the books so satisfyingly complete, otherwise! What we get instead is a couple of scenes that will have claustrophobics (and most of the rest of us, too) cringe.
A good Francis - not his best, but solid gold.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smokescreen - exciting horse-racing thriller, 5 Aug. 2008
The story opens in Spain with an actor making a movie "Man in a Car" - not too threatening, you'd think. But when the action moves to South Africa, the opening scene comes back to haunt us with terrifying effect. Dick Francis may not be world class literature, but he's great at taking a horse-racing theme and grafting on new themes to create a fascinating and exciting thriller plot. An excellent book of it's kind - another gripping audiobook from the master of horse-racing thrillers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vintage Francis at full throttle, 16 Oct. 2010
Jo Bennie (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Smokescreen (Paperback)
Edward Lincoln is a action movie film star, but his family life is quiet, a lovely wife (Charlie) and three children, two sons and a daughter with retarded development due to brain injury. Nerissa is his substitiute mother, she asks Edward to go to South Africa to find out why her horses are no longer winning and he swiftly becomes embroiled in a thriller to more than equal his films, including three attempts on his life (electrocution, burial in explosion at gold mine and abadonment in car in Kruger National Park), a brilliant calculating killer, entrapment attempts by a beautiful girl and the highest stakes: a gold mine, prizewinning horses and Edward's own life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smokescreen by Dick Francis, 23 Jun. 2011
M. L. Downton "bookmave" (West Midlands, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Smokescreen (Paperback)
I thought I had all of the books by my favourite author, the late great Dick Francis, but when I decided to put them in order of publication I found I had not got 'Smokescreen; it didn't mean I hadn't read it but when it arrived I had, but I read it again and found that it was still as enjoyable as when I first read it, so I decided to read them all again in date order, and I can honestly say I am enjoying them all once again, it means of course that I have plenty of late bedtimes, but as every Dick Francis fan knows, after the first page his books are hard to put down, which is why I never had to think will I enjoy the book I was buying, I knew it was a forgone conclusion that I would. I was shattered, no pun intended, when having read 'Shattered' I also read the Mr Francis had said that it would be his last, but then a reprieve, 'Under orders' which was after six years, joy again, and his son Felix had added his name to a few and promised another one this year, I hope he was given lots of ideas by his dad so that he can carry on the good work.

4.0 out of 5 stars enjoyable, 27 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Smokescreen (Paperback)
I've always been a bit put off picking up a book by this author as I have little interest in horseracing, but I bought it as part of a boxset of thrillers, and as it is only 265 pages thought I would give it a go.

Edward Lincoln (Linc to his friends) is a successful movie star. Surrounded by family and friends he is an intensely private person, rarely giving interviews and failing to provide the media with opportunities to scutinise him.

An elderly dying friend asks him to visit her recently bequeathed racing horses in South Africa and find out the reason why they have been doing so badly in the races. However when he gets there various attempts are made on his life, which make reality mirror the fiction of the movies.

A nice little read that made the pages fly by. Written in the 1st person we follow the protagonist's thoughts and feeling not just on the plot but also opinions on the movie industry and media in general. There are a number of twists in the plot and enough to keep the reader interested without any confusion.

I will definitely check out some more books by Dick Francis.

5.0 out of 5 stars S. Africa desert heat and gold mines, 1 Aug. 2013
Maha Upasika Gotami (Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Smokescreen (Paperback)
It's Dick Francis, so there is suspense, skullduggery, murder, physical pain and, as always, horses, although this time the horses are in S. Africa and fairly peripheral. The hero, Link, is a top film star in Sean Connery style roles, who has been left a gift of some shares by an elderly lady and been asked to look into the reason her horses run so badly.
There are descriptions of S African racing practices and vivid scenes down a gold mine.
It begins with the film version of the hero being locked in a car in the desert and left to die, and ends with the real version as the hero decides, as always with Dick Francis, that he will not let the evil bastard get away with intimidation, no matter how aggressive it gets.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointed, 15 Sept. 2012
T. J. Le Mare - See all my reviews
The sample chapter was excellent so I went ahead and bought it.
I am a great promoter of Amazon as a service but this has made me somewhat wary to download any more books, a crying shame.

3.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps not the best., 18 April 2011
I feel that this one is lost at the start. To many suspects and motives but once into the bulk of the read this rather slow book turns into one that you will never forget and proves hard to put down, my message for this book is just to keep going at it and it will reward you.

I most enjoy his books because of the way that he writes about racing in diffrent places, gives you something new everytime.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 19 Aug. 2014
such a good story teller - I cannot put his books down when I start reading.

1.0 out of 5 stars Smokescreen, 11 May 2013
This has to be the worst Dick Francis book I have read.
I struggled to give it even one star.
In a lot of cases,what could have been said in a few paragraphs,
was spread over three or four chapters.Because of this,it became
a very tedious read.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Smokescreen
Smokescreen by Dick Francis (Paperback - 5 Jun. 2009)
Used & New from: £0.01