4.0 out of 5 stars A hearwarming and extremaly amusing book., 23 Jan 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: It Shouldn't Happen to a Vet (Paperback)
I greatly enjoyed reading this book. Some of the incidents were highly amushing, and some touched me inside. Especially the story about Kim the alsation. I almost cried when he said he didnt think there was much chance for him. However, the parts involving the farmers were mostly side splittingly funny. The manner of these strange men intrigued the vet, and each and every one of them took him on a new and interesting adventure every time he called. The amazing character analogies both amazed and shocked me. When he talks about the flight sergeants and the dentist especially had me cracking up. I hope to read more of Mr.Herriots books, and that they are all as good as this one proved to be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 24 July 2010
Ms. M. Y. Harkins (UK) - See all my reviews
James Herriot's has been a source of inspiration to all who love animals and Yorkshire - me! I have all his books, DVD's and the whole series of ALL CREATURES GREAT AND SMALL (which have been played to death). With Christopher Timothy's lovely speaking voice (who was perfectly cast as James Herriott in the TV series), perfectly captures the original author's stories. When going on holiday, this audio cd goes with me every time. If you are feeling tired, stressed, fed-up or otherwise, find a nice quiet corner and listen to this wonderful cd.

5.0 out of 5 stars A joy to read, 17 Nov 2009
Boof (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Oh how I love this series! This is pure comfort reading at its very best. I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard reading a book. Picking up the books in this series is like catching up with a friend for a glass of red wine by the fire.

The characters are all so brilliantly drawn that I feel I know them all. To get to know about these burly Yorkshire farmers (with all their local dialect thrown in to boot) is a joy and a priviledge.

I was planning on a break before picking up number 3 in the series but now I'm not so sure I can resist picking it straight up and diving in - that's how addictive they are.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good reading, 8 Nov 2009
This review is from: It Shouldn't Happen to a Vet (Paperback)
I read these books many years ago and they are still as enjoyable today. Excellent service from the seller

4.0 out of 5 stars Prepare yourself for sudden outbreaks of chuckling, 1 April 2013
Prepare yourself for sudden outbreaks of chuckling as the animal patients often make a monkey out of this well meaning, but still learning, veterinarian.

5.0 out of 5 stars Who would have thought that veterinary could be funny?, 24 Mar 2011
Funny and enlightening stories of a 20th century country vet.
Full of rich anecdotes that demonstrate great knowledge and understanding of the Yorkshire farming, animals ... and humans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent books, 28 Aug 2011
I am a huge fan of the Herriot series of books. I have read them all. I also enjoyed this book greatly. I would also like to let you know about another Yorkshire author. Mike Pannett,he has written several books about his life whilst working as a rural bobby (cop) in North Yorkshire. I have just finished reading all his books. If you like the Herriot books, you will love the Pannett books too. It's wonderful another Yorkshire author has arrived on the scene. I missed books with great character and humour.

It Shouldn't Happen to a Vet
It Shouldn't Happen to a Vet by James Herriot (Paperback - 9 Nov 1973)
Used & New from: £0.01