5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Thriller Writing
I find the dialogue in the book refreshing, the attention to detail quite exciting and am glad to have bought this book.

Published on 14 April 2006 by E. Msechu

3.0 out of 5 stars Let your imagination fly
Published on 9 Aug 2004 by Teebs

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Thriller Writing, 14 April 2006
E. Msechu - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Most Dangerous Game (Paperback)

Lyall has an uncanny ability to combine humor in the narrative with a sense of .., a sense of ..., shall we say unassuming knowledge? What I mean is, he presents tragic situations like a shooting in a humorous monologue yet devoid of the illusion that there's glamor in death...

Characters are described in details, the plot does twists and turns without the convoluted double and triple subplots so characterists of modern thriller writers.

Most of all, the ending is a perfect balance of fulfilled expectations and realism devoid of, on one hand, high-wire suspense or on the other hand, complete predictability.

A master-class in thriller writing, I would say..

5.0 out of 5 stars classic thriller - one of Lyall's best!, 19 Jun 2011
Henk Beentje "Henk Beentje" (Kew, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Most Dangerous Game (Paperback)
The plot (without giving to much away): Bill Cary runs a floatplane operation in northern Finland - well, he flies a DH Beaver when he can find work. Mineral surveys, big game hunters and the occasional shady deal; until a series of suspicious accidents gets both police an security police involved - involved in suspecting our wisecracking hero. Who is beginning to suspect, himself, that some of his past is catching up with him...

My opinion: excellent story on a hard-flying, hard-drinking pilot who knows his guns, and his areas without radar cover - just in case. A bit like Cary Grant in his better films, with a good Ingrid Bergman thrown in, too. And lots of cigarettes and whisky. This is classic thriller-writing, and there are some flying sequences at night that are tense, professional, and spellbinding. And a night landing even tenser than that!
One of Lyall's best - well-written, utterly convincing, good background, plausible characters, sharp dialogue. Top stuff!

3.0 out of 5 stars Let your imagination fly, 9 Aug 2004
This review is from: The Most Dangerous Game (Paperback)
I enjoyed the attention to detail in this Lappland based aeroplane thriller. I felt not only that I was there but also that I was curious to know more, which is impressive as I had never had any interest in Lappland or in boat planes before then. My only qualm was that the characterisation was a bit paper thin. The narrator talks to me in a chatty way that doesn't really convince, and the characters and especially the narrator are not particularly believable. I didn't find that the dialogue was much good. But my qualms are outnumbered by the thrills that the action gave me and the plot simply flew along - a lot more smoothly than the planes that feature in it.

4.0 out of 5 stars ., 23 Dec 2008
Set along the Russian boarder with Northern Finland, this is the story of a bush pilot, Bill Cary. Towards the end of the flying season, a wealthy American hunter hires him to fly into a prohibited part of Finland near the Soviet border in order to hunt bear.

Subsequently, he is assaulted by thugs when he refuses a charter contract to search for a lost Tsarist treasure, and comes under suspicion from the Finnish police for smuggling when Tsarist-era gold sovereigns start turning up. However, things get more serious when the wealthy American's beautiful sister turns up to search for her brother.

Cary suspects that the events he in increasingly involved in may stem from an incident in his wartime past.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic ..., 13 Feb 2001
By A Customer
This early flying thriller from Lyall is a classic. There are few British authors who have succeeded in this genre, namely Shute, Lyall, John Templeton Smith and Brian Lecomber. Reading early Lyall is reading the best of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lyall at the peak of his powers, 8 April 2013
This review is from: The Most Dangerous Game (Paperback)
Gavin Lyall at his best (and this is one of his ten or so best) rivals Le Carre with a dash of Ian Fleming. Sadly there won't be any more Lyall books as he died in 2003. The quality holds up from 'The Wrong side of the Sky' published in 1961 through this (his second, published in 1963) to certainly 'Uncle Target' published in 1988.

The final 4 books (which I didn't know existed and am now working my way through) take a different tack, concentrating on The Great Game and early oil squabbles circa 1912.

Lyall catches his flies with honey - he uses wit and humour, precise plotting and action where the more modern fashion tends to be to pile up bodies to distract the reader's attention from deficiencies elsewhere. Lyall's prose is a lean, mean 'let's get this show on the road' machine. There are no longeurs.

Work your way through his back catalogue and enjoy.

The Most Dangerous Game
The Most Dangerous Game by Gavin Lyall (Paperback - Oct 1971)
Used & New from: £0.01